• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

FlexFly pieces are limited in terms of what networks you can cross with them.

In this case your problem is that two FlexFly pieces can not overlap each other. The reason for this is the sheer amount of code that would be required to make it work, a minimum of half a million extra lines of RUL2. By comparison the entire NAM contains somewhere between 1 million and 1.5 million lines of RUL2 code. Therefore until a better solution can be found, you will need to move one of the curves to make this work correctly.

dyoungyn

It is too bad as I have been for a very long time hoping do such a configuration.  Understand the limitation and thankful so much for what is provided and available. 

Would love more than ever for some genius to come up with a static piece that covers the cross over would really  solve this problem.

This is something that is surely desired for custom T Interchanges with variations of connecting networks on L1/2 levels. 

Thankful again for all the fantastic accomplishment thus far that really make this game a closer and closer to reality and slowly get over that pesky grid system.

mgb204

Quote from: dyoungyn on January 21, 2017, 07:05:11 PM
Would love more than ever for some genius to come up with a static piece that covers the cross over would really  solve this problem.

This is something that is surely desired for custom T Interchanges with variations of connecting networks on L1/2 levels. 

There is a reason no static piece either exists or ever will. Just take a look at Maarten (Mandelsoft's) development hell making the T-piece for the MHO. This is a puzzle piece, but the sheer number of configurations made it take a whole year to do. That's only taking into account the various options of L0/L2 connections of MHO. When you consider FlexFly has to be able to cross all RHW networks, Ortho (+ I think Diag), it gets seriously mind boggling.

The reason that it can be done in Flex, is because once you've coded one network, it becomes a copy/paste job to automate the remaining networks. Not that the sheer amount of code here makes that anything like easy going. Tarkus has said he still plans to look at some limited dual-FlexFly solution in future. However, Memo was developing some seriously amazing tools for automating the RUL code before he disappeared. If that ever gets into a working state, I think it would greatly increase the likelihood of such a thing happening. It's not so much adding all that code is bad for the NAM. After all, we can make it optional, the issue is someone needs to actually find time to code it.

dyoungyn

Understand fully about the tons of code that the entire NAM team has done to bring us what we have today is a very heartfelt thanks from all of us. 

All those SC4 players are surly in your debt to be able to show off the creations created and again, thankful for anything that comes out is a true blessing.

SimJack

Quote from: mgb204 on January 21, 2017, 02:10:01 PM
FlexFly pieces are limited in terms of what networks you can cross with them.

In this case your problem is that two FlexFly pieces can not overlap each other. The reason for this is the sheer amount of code that would be required to make it work, a minimum of half a million extra lines of RUL2. By comparison the entire NAM contains somewhere between 1 million and 1.5 million lines of RUL2 code. Therefore until a better solution can be found, you will need to move one of the curves to make this work correctly.

Thanks mgb204,

I think we all appreciated the great work you guys have done putting together the whole NAM.  &apls &apls &apls
I'll try to work this intersection around and see how I can fix this. After all, this is why we play this game; to fiddle around with networks and buildings and received the satisfaction when something beautiful and functional is created.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

compdude787

Yeah, just re-do it so that the flyover that you expect to get more traffic has two 45-degree FlexFlys while the one that you expect to have less traffic can remain as a 90-degree FlexFly.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

SimJack

Quote from: compdude787 on January 22, 2017, 01:38:01 PM
Yeah, just re-do it so that the flyover that you expect to get more traffic has two 45-degree FlexFlys while the one that you expect to have less traffic can remain as a 90-degree FlexFly.

I tried your suggestion but, I could not get it to work. The best I could do was this. It works perfectly and it doesn't take a lot of space.

j-dub

I still think you can do better than that. Yes, there is more land taken, but you appear to have the room now, maybe the ramp is where that S-curve currently is instead, and then you have more of a recognizable ramp pull off from the highway below.

elmer26

SimJack, check out this video by Ganaram Inukshuk, I think it will help with your issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlBVa_-TxLY

mgb204

Quote from: smileymk on November 18, 2016, 04:05:40 PM
I've got some missing paths on the new RRW Flex Track setups to report - I'm using LHD with the RUM and the 2 patches posted earlier in the thread by mgb204 installed:
SmileyMK

Sorry this has taken a little while to resolve, but I just finished adding LHD support for RRW FlexTrack in NAM35. The attached file is just paths, place it in your y_RealRailway folder inside z___NAM (it can go anywhere, but this is the logical home).

All RRW users using a Left Hand Driving setup (LHD) should install this file.

Edit Oct17: Attachment Removed. Please upgrade to NAM36 which includes this fix.

smileymk

Quote from: mgb204 on January 29, 2017, 02:04:53 AM

Sorry this has taken a little while to resolve, but I just finished adding LHD support for RRW FlexTrack in NAM35. The attached file is just paths, place it in your y_RealRailway folder inside z___NAM (it can go anywhere, but this is the logical home).

All RRW users using a Left Hand Driving setup (LHD) should install this file.

mgb204, thank you very much for taking the time to resolve this. The NAM 35 FlexTrack is working perfectly now.

SmileyMK

Realistic Cities for Dummies
Step-by-step tutorials on every single aspect of realistic city-building.

FacebookYouTube

dyoungyn

What am I doing wrong here.  I have tried over and over again to get this right.  For some reason, the diagonal  cliff transitions is not set right or is it something else or do I have the right parameters for this configuration. 

mgb204

The pieces work just fine, the issue is you've not set up the embankment correctly. The Diagonal OST's are very difficult to visualise, or explain with words... but when you get the right setup the piece will plop without deforming.

Looks like you've got things correct on the left side, try to mirror that on the right but rotated accordingly. Another tip, enter a flat/blank city and play around a little, it will help you to see exactly how the slope needs to be.

dyoungyn

I agree, I did try a different approach and after all, it finally worked.  Had to demolish part of the farm to make it work then I demolished the entire farm and re-built once the farm re-developed then re-build the highway.  Lots of tedious work, but well worth it as I do not want farms to grow along the highway.

eclipticalstorm

I accidentally demolished part of my RHW Highway in my main city and saved.  When I tried to rebuild the damaged section of highway using the L3 Starter it didn't work.  The starter plops, but when I drag through the lot it remains default rhw.  Please help...thanks.

Tarkus

It sounds like you may have decoupled the RULs, or otherwise managed to keep the model files but lost the supporting code during your last NAM installation.  I'd suggest re-installing, or re-running the Controller Compiler (found in My Documents\SimCity 4\NAM Auxiliary Files\Tools\Controller Compiler).

-Alex

eclipticalstorm

Worked like a charm.  :bnn:  Thanks for the help and speedy response.  Ironically, I had no idea this component of NAM existed (Controller Compiler).

markussaage

Hi guys,

first I want to thank you for all the hard work and the excellent support you do to make the NAM work and SimCity 4 a better game after all this years. I have a question. Last weekend I setup a new laptop and I installed SimCity 4 and the latest NAM 35 of course, which I fresh downloaded from the moddb website. Everything went just fine and smooth. But a little while later, while playing I figured, that I was missing a folder in the z_NAM folder, which I have on my other computer (see the screenshot). In this folder there are the modified Rail Stations from deadwoods, simgoober and so on. This folder wasn't installed with my new installation. Are they not in der NAM 35 anymore and if so, why?

Thanks a lot and kind regards!

vinlabsc3k

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

mgb204

These stations are what's known as the SLURP feature. In order for them to be installed, two things must happen. Firstly, the applicable station must be in your plugins folder. Second, you must select "Run Cleanitol and the Station Updater" during NAM installation (Custom Install).

When you setup the new computer, you didn't need to re-install NAM, which can be safely copied over as part of your plugins suite / regions which presumably you didn't start anew?