• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

w_swietwoot's Projects

Started by w_swietwoot, January 07, 2012, 02:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

Quote from: w_swietwoot on January 06, 2013, 01:04:02 PM
next are the lights...

I think the pictures excite everyone so much that they miss and overlook the last line immediately under the second and final picture in the post... :P

Next are the lights! ;D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

gn_leugim

mave94

The Euromast is wonderful, especially with textures now! However, the texture of the tower itself is not seamless. It it possible to fix that? Other than that, great job. :thumbsup:

-Matthijs

w_swietwoot

Thanks everyone, thank u!
M, your right  :D. To be honest, it will be my first nightlight attemt, so I'll probably be slow. Learning as I go...

-> matthijs, I'll look into it. Shouldn't be to hard.

Oh, nobody annoyed by the missalligned texture wrapt around the outside wall of the mid section, right under the observation platform where the restaurant is(if you know what I mean...)? I am, but I can't seem to fix that easily... >:(

Getron

Wouter,

Very nice Euromast. Normaly I can see the real one from my house, but your copy would fit great in my cities  :P :thumbsup:

Getron

w_swietwoot

My first attemt at night lights. I'am getting the hang of it, but I'm not finised yet

And an in-game impression:

gn_leugim

seeing the night picture I asked my self a question, from where the lights from the base on of the tower come from? you can tell, it looks like there is a car with its headlight pointing at the tower. Also, I believe it could be brighter.

Other than that, looking good ;)

kelis

I like so much the model my friend, in the In-Game Picture it looks really cool !!

About the Night Lights, well I think it looks good, but maybe you can put more "Life" in the tower, because it looks a bit empty, can you understand me ?

Groeten  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

FrankU

Hi Wouter,

The tower in game raises the question: how does it compare in size to the Berlin Fernsehturm? Is it in scale? Meaning: if the both towers are the same height in reality, are they this also in the game now? They differ in reality, I don't know how much, but a realistic scaling would be nice.

Also I see strange things in the image. It could be just some kind of screen or compression thing, but I see:
- the round concrete elements of the tower are not exactly aligned,
- the upper part of the tower, where the moving capsule goes is not straight (I see a slight "jump" to the right),
- this upper part shows a white edge on the right (shaded) side, so the tower looks a bit like it is photoshpped into the game image.

And the nightlights can be judged with a night shot in game.

But it's really promising! A good Dutch seaport should have this tower ASAP.

Frank

MandelSoft

Both towers differ significantly in height:

Fernsehturm, Berlin: 368m
Euromast, Rotterdam: 185m

So the Fernsehturm should actually twice as high as the Euromast...

However, my latest building BAT, the Haguean Flatiron Apartments, is around the same height as the Euromast. You can compare it with that.

About the nightlights: the windows can be a lot brigther! You might want to use textures for those...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

M4346

Quote from: FrankU on January 10, 2013, 05:16:41 AM
The tower in game raises the question: how does it compare in size to the Berlin Fernsehturm? Is it in scale? Meaning: if the both towers are the same height in reality, are they this also in the game now? They differ in reality, I don't know how much, but a realistic scaling would be nice.

I also thought the Euromast looked a little "short and stocky" but apparently it is only 184.6 m (606 ft), whereas the Fersehturm in Berlin is just under double that at 368.03 m (1,207.45 ft).

Would be interesting to see an in-game comparison though ;D

I would also echo some of the sentiments regarding the night-lighting for it though.

Great work nonetheless Wouter!  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions

kelis

Quote from: MandelSoft on January 10, 2013, 05:50:45 AM
However, my latest building BAT, the Haguean Flatiron Apartments, is around the same height as the Euromast. You can compare it with that.

About the nightlights: the windows can be a lot brigther! You might want to use textures for those...

Both are a fantastic advices for you, they could be useful !! Try to put some textures in the Windows to simulate the Light  :thumbsup:

Groeten Wouter and Keep up the good work my friend !!
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

w_swietwoot

He, well I could make it shorter again, it is a bit to tall. It's 220m in 3ds. But this way, at least I tought, it would look less chubby and more like a high outlook towering above all else. If this is a no go, I'll will scale thing down. So let me know what you think.

With the Maxis Fernsehturm. That ball shaped mid section is about 207m high in RL.

- and I will work on the nightlights, found some nice tips on ST forum. Let's say I'm half way there.
- and I will work on the (night and day) windows.
- that offset is caused bij plopping it in SC4 I believe, as you can see, if I rotate it, it's gone and dead straight again. But perhaps somebody can expand on this, since I'm not an expert on this.
- Oh and that white edge, I don't know what's causing that.

M4346

Quote from: w_swietwoot on January 10, 2013, 06:39:06 AM
He, well I could make it shorter again, it is a bit to tall. It's 220m in 3ds. But this way, at least I tought, it would look less chubby and more like a high outlook towering above all else. If this is a no go, I'll will scale thing down. So let me know what you think.

Maxis scale is a bit whack, I think the 220m in 3ds is fine. ;D

But that's me, let's hear what the others have to say :P
New Horizons Productions

art128

to go against the chubby or squashed effect, you can model the tower with real scales and then scale it by 133% if I remember.

However, I like the height of the tower in game at the moment, not too tall, not too small, just the perfect proportions in my opinion and taste.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

FrankU

My first reaction on the image was: hey, is that all? The Euromast is too small! But scale in SC4 is tricky. We know that.
Since I have seen the image above, I think.... just think.... it might be good to put the tower between a set of high rise buildings in order to see if they fit a bit nice together.
You will never get it right for all situations, because if you put it between farmlands, you probably will find out that the restarant of the Euromast hardly reaches above the appletrees or something stupid like that...

Try to find soemthing that looks realistic in a high rise city center. Looks. Not is. That is the best, I think.

Frank

Swordmaster

Well it's not that the Euromast is a giant building. That said, it might be a tiny bit too small, but not much.

Of course, the only way to get scale right is to compare similar perspectives. . .

Plop a couple of roads and see what gives.

Cheers
Willy

noahclem

You're scale and height looks great to me, though a little experimenting as been suggested certainly couldn't hurt. Great work on the night lights for a first try! Sort out those windows and you'll have something that shines beautifully at night  :thumbsup:

gn_leugim

I would increase the size a bit, not the 133% said here before, but like 115% or so.

Serkanner

It looks better and better Wouter.