• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Small stretch of road is to congested

Started by Tilarium, January 29, 2013, 02:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilarium

I've got another problem.  In my region there's a small section of road (20 squares long) that is heavily congested.  There are alternate roads and streets going to the same general area that never get used.  The road had about 600 cars and 300 buses passing over in in the road quarry.  I upgraded it using the TLR-3 from the NWM but got the to congested message again, this time it was 800 cars and 400 buses.  I then upgraded it to the default avenue and again got the to congested menu with 1000 cars and 500 buses.  I then upgraded it to the 6 lane ave from NWM and again it was to congested, over 1500 cars and 800 buses. 

Anyone else have any ideas?  I hadn't planned to use T-RAMS in the this city.  It doesn't seem practical to put it in just for that small stretch (it leads to the major industrial area) and would be a huge undertaking to work it into the whole city.  What do I need to do, short of a highway, to get this small piece of road to not be so congested?  Why is it that once they end this stretch all of the heavy traffic dissipates?  The continuation and two street run offs don't have nearly as much traffic.

This is the least of the most annoying problems in this city  LOL  The other is that it has been overrun with wafflekings, I guess they won the franchise wars.... take that, Taco Bell!

EDIT:  Forgot to mention I'm using the medium traffic plugin

lotherius

* Caveat: I'm not a traffic expert.

I'v observed that Sims tend to always take the fastest route, but that "fastest" calculation does not seem to take into account congestion or nearby avenues/freeways that won't get congested.

Basically, they see that road leading to where they want to go and they take it, regardless of alternate routes, because in their simple little minds, it is the shortest/fastest route. Then it gets congested, but they don't care.

You can use the query tool on a section of road as well to see where the traffic is going to and from on a particular stretch.

Tarkus

I think an image of the affected area would be needed to provide proper technical support.

-Alex

z

If the congestion happens only around intersections, this is normal; it's the way the game slows Sims down for heavily trafficked intersections.  Otherwise, as Alex said, we need to see a picture.

Quote from: lotherius on January 29, 2013, 11:08:50 AM
I'v observed that Sims tend to always take the fastest route, but that "fastest" calculation does not seem to take into account congestion or nearby avenues/freeways that won't get congested.

Basically, they see that road leading to where they want to go and they take it, regardless of alternate routes, because in their simple little minds, it is the shortest/fastest route. Then it gets congested, but they don't care.

This is incorrect.  When a road gets congested, its speed drops.  This is fully taken into account by the traffic simulator.  If you actually do the calculations, you'll find that the Sims are always taking the fastest route, even when you take congestion into account.

One reason that Sims don't use highways as much as people do is that Sims tend to travel much shorter distances, and the time saved by highways is offset by the time getting to and from them.