• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to make a 5-OWR turn?

Started by MarkShot, February 09, 2017, 03:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

How to make a 5-OWR turn?  Thanks.

mgb204

I've a youtube tutorial that covers making curves with NWM, hopefully that helps you.

However, having gone to double-check something in game, it looks to me like they are broken. I'll get that reported, but you might have to wait until NAM 36 for a fix.

MarkShot

Thanks.  I tried playing around with it quite a bit.

SC4 is a game I have wanted to play for years.  I finally have the time now.  (I also have Skylines.  Both intrigue me due to very different architectures {I mean game design; not real world}.)

eggman121

Hello MarkShot

It does indeed look broken. There was an issue with the RD4 which shares the same footprint. Thanks for bringing this up. The outstanding problem will be fixed for NAM 36!

-eggman121

Alan_Waters

I hope that the intersections with diagonal NWM also decide.

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: Alan_Waters on February 09, 2017, 04:17:20 PM
I hope that the intersections with diagonal NWM also decide.
Intersections with diagonal NWM networks are much more complicated to implement than the 45° bends the OP asked about - that's why they've been left unfinished and unsupported for so long. We do, of course, plan to implement them eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them. As it currently stands, they're not planned for NAM 36, and I doubt they'll be released before NAM 40; we have enough new features and improvements planned to keep the next few NAM versions full while we sort them out.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Tarkus

Testing it just now, the OWR-5 works fine on the diagonals.  It doesn't share a footprint with the RD-4, but rather, uses the split-tile setup that the TLA-5 and RD-6 also use.  The OWR-4, however, is broken for some weird reason (and it does use the same shared-tile setup as the RD-4).  Edit: It's not broken either.  I was just screwing up with the setup with the orth-diag curve, but now that I've drawn it correctly, it works fine.

Regarding diagonal intersections, my plan at the moment is to gradually phase them into the NWM.  I have no idea when that process would start, but it will take a lot of releases to complete.  The biggest problem isn't the textures or the RULs, but the pathing.  The RHW diagonal situations are an absolute cakewalk compared to what we'd need to fully build out the diagonal crossing repertoire for all the existing NWM networks.  The T-intersections are really, really gnarly beasts.

-Alex

Alan_Waters

mgb204

Sorry I'm so late here, but I'm sure this is the right way to build these, but they seem to de-stabilise after the curve? Any chance Alex you've a different set of code here? I messed with stuff trying to get the OWR Arrow reduction working, I suppose I could have broken something. Mostly manual install of INRUL files there. I'm also running a custom compiler, but aside from SAM11 and some RRW additional code, it should be a standard NAM35 setup.

Update... so I managed to actually get the OWR-4 to work, but it does appear to be a shared tile setup. However, neither shared nor split tiles are working for OWR-5. I can draw the TLA-5/RD-6 patterns without issue, so I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it wrong, then again  ::)...

Tarkus

It's possible that the code base I'm using for NAM 36 development may have fixed any issue that was present with NAM 35.  Once I've gotten my current FTL-related projects in good shape, I'll commit it to the depository for testing.

-Alex