• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunv123

Hugo seems to be living a good life, nothing to worry about. Just if a bear or whatever comes and tries to eat them. %wrd

And please. Stop it. You're making me mad. Not a winter like that here since 2001. :bomb:
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

rambuckel

Hi Noah, I hope you had a good time at Christmas. I've been at "Hotel Mama" close to Lübeck on the coast of the Baltic Sea. You might know it as there's many ships going from there to Scandinavia.

The pictures are brilliant as always and I'm honored to see my horses on your snowy meadows :) And thank your so much for your photographs from your region. It might not be too nice not to see the sun for many days. But it sounds really fascinating how you describe the situation with the sunlight.

I wish you all the best for 2013!
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

wallasey

I have enjoyed your snowy shots! the best view for me was the train passing through the wintery forest. reminded me of people making their way to be with loved ones over the festive period.

The reindeer looked very much at home!

Jmouse

Your snow scenes are always lovely, Noah, reminiscent of the peace and serenity of those beautiful white flakes falling silently to form a heart-warming atmosphere. Siilijoki's atmosphere definitely reflects the RL photos you posted. In fact, mood and atmosphere are the two words I associate most with your outstanding work.

I hope you and yours enjoyed a wonderful Christmas, and look forward to a New Year that's bright with promise...
-Joan

Schulmanator

Great winter pics! Makes me want to get some hot chocolate and snuggle up on the couch! :D
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

noahclem

For today just something small but in a new direction. I'm going to be dealing with winter for quite some time and that's likely to be reflected around here ;)  Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions on video work in Siilijoki. I apologize for my quietness over the last month, December has been a very busy work time. Should be very clear sailing until March though  ;D Replies will follow very shortly :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/Hzxd1qSpBPQ

Girafe

Really nice video, Noah  :)

hope to see more soon  ::)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Swordmaster

So, that's the mountain road, right? Not too bad. You know you can zoom out during UDI, right?

Videos have their purpose, but I hope you won't switch to that format exclusively. I prefer pictures for the majority of showcases. Would be nice to drive around some interchanges, though, or a train UDI. If you remember that rail spiral I once showed - that's where a UDI vid would come in handy. If you zoom out enough, that is  :thumbsup:

Cheers
Willy

art128

I do agree with Willy about the video. Though I have to say it was a really nice 30 seconds. ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Good job on the video.  I prefer pics as well though.  ;)

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

Jmouse

I love your winter scenes Noah, along with your spring, summer and fall scenery, be it rural or urban.

Our family lived in south-central Missouri for about three years at a time when show was more or less a rare treat for me. Every now and then, one of my daughter's classmates would come over riding his gorgeous Arabian horse, and I made no secret of my admiration for that noble steed.

One evening when it had snowed for most of the day, he knocked on the door and invited me to go for a ride. He had that horse hooked up to a sleigh, and he took me for a moonlight sleigh ride. It didn't last near as long as I would have liked – we were back at the house within 10-15 minutes – but it remains one of my fondest memories.

So, bring on all the winter scenery you want to – I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned for us...
-Joan

rambuckel

That video really is a good idea  &apls But I hope to still see your wonderful pictures in future   :)

noahclem

I've been continuing to enjoy "playing in the snow" around here, discovering new ideas and possibilities related to the season I take my firsthand inspiration from these days. There are real limitations to the existing winter content in SC4 but with a little bit of creativity one might be surprised at the possibilities.

The biggest project of all this has been the Kirahvi Pass Road, named in honor of my favorite creator if winter content in SC4. Borrowing inspiration from Ennedi's work years ago as well as from the road to the top of the ski hill (technically a fell) in my town. The Kirahvi Pass Road crosses the eponymous ridge in the North Siilijoki municipality providing a direct link between the neighborhoods on both sides, as well as giving access to local scenic area including the summit of Mount Kirahvi.

The road begins here where it intersects the Atascocita Creek Road. The aforementioned road connects residences further up the valley with the more densely populated lower valley. The tunnel connects to the North Siilijoki Interchange Complex

In most cases images can be enlarged by clicking

Atascocita Creek itself is a beautiful area where the bold may choose to go kayaking the rapids and others may choose to enjoy a relaxing or challenging hiking experience

The bridge elevation is 108 meters above sea level

From there the road starts up the hillside, with the first stretch being covered in the previous video I showed. The next point is the switchback here at 260 meters elevation

From here it's not far to the top of the pass where a cafe and observation tower offer a pleasant place to stop for a break.

Sunrise and sunset offer particularly breathtaking views. The elevation is now 255 meters.

Drivers may continue straight and go down the other side or turn off to the Kirahvi Mountain Road which leads to the top.

The night view reveals spectacular lights of the city below, including the city center, whose tall buildings peak above the neighboring range, beyond Ipslore Canyon. The summit is 480 meters above sea level.

Traveling down the other side features a similarly winding and scenic road. Here's the view looking down over the first switchback

The same turn from a different angle and at night. For drivers headed southeast this is the last switchback.

An overview of the area to date. I chose a night view because there are so many details left to fill in  ::)
The view looks to the East Northeast. Beyond the top is the ski resort, below the bottom is the first scene, to the right is the motorway and North Siilijoki Interchange Complex, and to the left is the edge of the region.

The higher reaches of the area feature beautiful birch forests

The clear air and silence creates great conditions for stargazing. Lucky viewers may spot the auroras.

Quite the moon Siilijoki has  ::)

Thanks for viewing!

Quote from: Swordmaster on December 26, 2012, 02:00:41 PM
It would be helpful if you denoted which pictures are from Siilijoki, and which from the real world.

;D

Hope you had a great Christmas as well!

I wonder if you do anything special to compensate the lack of sunlight. I heard some folks do light therapy or something. I ask because when I do night time work in winter, I may not see much of the sun for a week or maybe two - go to bed before it rises, and get up when it's setting. (In summer I usually catch sunrise.)  I do get grumpy after a while.

Wonderful pictures and scenes, Noah.

Quote from: metarvo on December 25, 2012, 08:04:45 PM
While I was typing a response to this good update earlier, I had a power outage due to the heavy snow.  Yes, that's right, it snowed on Christmas where I'm at!  ;D

This is a beautiful update, Noah!  :thumbsup:  The snow pics are nicely done, and my favorite is the one with Santa's sleigh.  Merry Christmas, Noah.

Willy (Swordmaster), the sleigh is available here [linkie].

Thanks! Btw, I was thinking the same thing as Noah - very ironic! :D

Cheers
Willy

Thanks Willy! Unfortunately I don't have any special coping plan for the dark season here besides trying not to sleep through any of our precious daylight hours. Hope your Christmas was great!

Quote from: metarvo on December 27, 2012, 05:33:51 AM
Well, the song says "a one horse open sleigh."  It was a horse pulling that sleigh, and not a reindeer.  So, it can be concluded that horses fit the wintry theme as well.  I hope Hugo's not too jealous.  Good job, Noah!  :)  A power outage for me probably makes as much sense as no snow in the winter would for you.  $%Grinno$%

I like the way you think  ;D  Glad you liked the update and hope the lights continue to stay on for you over there--there's certainly no lack of snow here!

Quote from: Kergelen on December 27, 2012, 07:14:20 AM
Nice pictures, both the real and the SC4. Seems that Hugo have a good place to live with many colleagues :)

No sun during some weeks...mmm....it must be difficult for mood. Even the magnificent snowy landscapes and nature maybe compensate the lack of sun.

Waiting for the sky resort. I like them :thumbsup:

Glad you liked the pictures and yes, Hugo's very happy with his friends  :D  The time without sun is a kind of tough but it's already much lighter now. Only a little bit of ski resort this update but more is on the way  :thumbsup:

Quote from: nbvc on December 27, 2012, 08:16:13 AM
Fantastic winter images. &apls
Thanks a lot!

Quote from: Dantes on December 27, 2012, 02:40:52 PM
I love the third picture. A very great atmosphere.   :thumbsup:

I like it a lot.  ()stsfd()
Thanks, glad you liked it  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Jmouse on December 28, 2012, 02:35:43 PM
Quote from: noahclem on December 26, 2012, 01:46:15 PM
I need a bit of clarification on why the CS structures would cause a problem there. There are sidewalks and cars can park down the road to visit those shops.
I was thinking that slowing down in order to turn could cause a rear-end collision.

Gotcha

Quote from: Gugu3 on December 29, 2012, 03:04:05 AM
Missed your last update!!!beautiful as always!!!Winter scenes are always welcome this time of the year!!!especially if they're from Siilijoki and Finland &apls
cheers
Gugu3
Thanks a lot buddy! I hope you like this round of winter pics too  :thumbsup:

Quote from: art128 on December 29, 2012, 04:38:52 AM
Three nice images Noah. I love the train going through the snowy areas.
Thanks Arthur! Thought you might like the train--oddly enough it's one of my first uses of STR by itself.

Quote from: weixc812 on December 29, 2012, 06:02:58 AM
Who said the virtuality can not be compared to reality?  ;D
These pics give me a better understanding of Siilijoki   :D
Thanks Nick! I'm happy I was able to recreate our winter well  :thumbsup:

Quote from: sunv123 on December 29, 2012, 07:06:08 AM
Hugo seems to be living a good life, nothing to worry about. Just if a bear or whatever comes and tries to eat them. %wrd

And please. Stop it. You're making me mad. Not a winter like that here since 2001. :bomb:
Hugo's main worries are wolves and lynxes but he should be safe on the farm there. Good luck getting a snowy winter soon  :thumbsup:

Quote from: rambuckel on December 29, 2012, 03:05:12 PM
Hi Noah, I hope you had a good time at Christmas. I've been at "Hotel Mama" close to Lübeck on the coast of the Baltic Sea. You might know it as there's many ships going from there to Scandinavia.

The pictures are brilliant as always and I'm honored to see my horses on your snowy meadows :) And thank your so much for your photographs from your region. It might not be too nice not to see the sun for many days. But it sounds really fascinating how you describe the situation with the sunlight.

I wish you all the best for 2013!
Thanks Theresa! Hope Lubeck was nice, and I do hope to visit there sometime via the ferry lines. I've really been enjoying your horses and thanks again for sharing them. Glad you liked the photos from here and indeed the amount of twilight and surreal lighting helps to make up for all the darkness--well that and the midnight sun in summer  :)

Quote from: wallasey on December 30, 2012, 02:28:48 PM
I have enjoyed your snowy shots! the best view for me was the train passing through the wintery forest. reminded me of people making their way to be with loved ones over the festive period.

The reindeer looked very much at home!
Thanks wallasey, glad you liked my playing in the snow! I think I like that picture even more thinking of it in the way you mention. Greetings from Finland  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Jmouse on December 30, 2012, 04:03:01 PM
Your snow scenes are always lovely, Noah, reminiscent of the peace and serenity of those beautiful white flakes falling silently to form a heart-warming atmosphere. Siilijoki's atmosphere definitely reflects the RL photos you posted. In fact, mood and atmosphere are the two words I associate most with your outstanding work.

I hope you and yours enjoyed a wonderful Christmas, and look forward to a New Year that's bright with promise...
-Joan

Thanks Joan! Very glad you enjoyed the mood and atmosphere here and I'll try to keep that up in Siilijoki's future. It's certainly nice your heart was warmed and filled with peace :)

Quote from: Schulmanator on January 01, 2013, 06:54:48 AM
Great winter pics! Makes me want to get some hot chocolate and snuggle up on the couch! :D
Thanks! Enjoy these pics from a cozy place as well  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Girafe on January 09, 2013, 05:38:21 PM
Really nice video, Noah  :)

hope to see more soon  ::)
Thanks Antoine! I hope you enjoy all the stuff your snowy birches made possible this time!

Quote from: Swordmaster on January 09, 2013, 05:46:37 PM
So, that's the mountain road, right? Not too bad. You know you can zoom out during UDI, right?

Videos have their purpose, but I hope you won't switch to that format exclusively. I prefer pictures for the majority of showcases. Would be nice to drive around some interchanges, though, or a train UDI. If you remember that rail spiral I once showed - that's where a UDI vid would come in handy. If you zoom out enough, that is  :thumbsup:

Cheers
Willy
Actually, I didn't know that about UDI (or much else about UDI). I'll have to explore that in the future and don't worry, videos will only be a part of how I showcase Siilijoki. Thanks again!

Quote from: art128 on January 09, 2013, 05:56:54 PM
I do agree with Willy about the video. Though I have to say it was a really nice 30 seconds. ;)
Thanks Arthur! I'll work on doing longer, better videos in the future, but images will remain the main thing here.

Quote from: rooker1 on January 10, 2013, 05:07:28 AM
Good job on the video.  I prefer pics as well though.  ;)

Robin
Thanks Robin. More pics this time around ;)

Quote from: Jmouse on January 10, 2013, 05:06:51 PM
I love your winter scenes Noah, along with your spring, summer and fall scenery, be it rural or urban.

Our family lived in south-central Missouri for about three years at a time when show was more or less a rare treat for me. Every now and then, one of my daughter's classmates would come over riding his gorgeous Arabian horse, and I made no secret of my admiration for that noble steed.

One evening when it had snowed for most of the day, he knocked on the door and invited me to go for a ride. He had that horse hooked up to a sleigh, and he took me for a moonlight sleigh ride. It didn't last near as long as I would have liked – we were back at the house within 10-15 minutes – but it remains one of my fondest memories.

So, bring on all the winter scenery you want to – I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned for us...
-Joan

Thanks for the kind words Joan! A sleigh ride would certainly be a fun thing to showcase as well (not to mention a very fun thing to do). The closest I've been to that is a husky sled ride which was also quite fun. Maybe I need to give Theresa a couple friendly requests ;)  More winter on the way  :thumbsup:

Quote from: rambuckel on January 11, 2013, 11:35:12 AM
That video really is a good idea  &apls But I hope to still see your wonderful pictures in future   :)
Thanks again Theresa! I'll be doing videos again at some point but it'll be mostly pictures around here  :thumbsup:

Kergelen

:o You want to fool us Noah! The last picture is not from SC4!! ;D Amazing! SC4 Forever!

Fantastic pictures breaking the grid with NAM 31 &apls

Links to SC4 websites

threestooges

Ok, so, superlatives don't do it justice, so I'll skip them and get right down to business. 34.13: did you do anything to that picture after taking it? Your pictures always have a way of generating a mood, even if the only thing in it is a tree model (really shows how far the game has come though, winter trees and snow).

34.14/15: xannepan's new toys?
-Matt

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

rambuckel

Fascinating pictures ... especially those of that winding road.  &apls  &apls  &apls The atmosphere transported by those pictures is really amazing! Although we do have some serpentines Thuringian Forest they are not as long and as impressive. 

Jmouse

Noah, these photos go way beyond stunning. The ones at dusk and at night are truly works of art, especially 34.15. I think it can best be described as "haunting," but in a positive way. The auroras add another dimension to 34.13 which I'll also call "haunting" in a different – but still positive – way. And that road would break a snake's back :D. Honestly, I didn't realize Siilijoki had any hilly terrain, or maybe I've seen it before and just forgotten. I'm old. I can't help it. ;)

You are fortunate to have such beautiful scenery to draw inspiration from...
-Joan

vinlabsc3k

Amazing pics Noah!! :thumbsup:
I love ur hilly road!! &bis&
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

benedict

That last picture is incredible - what an amazing pale winter moon, and the silhouette of the tree just left of center couldn't be more perfect. Just wow.
Click on the banner to celebrate!