• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nyhaven: Views From Within (Nuclear City - 5/8)

Started by woodb3kmaster, October 02, 2008, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodb3kmaster

sciurus54: I'll address your points in the same order you presented them.
Terraforming: The map is originally a STEX download of a real-world place - the Columbia River delta. I made a couple of changes in SC4 Terraformer, including some you haven't seen yet, but I left most of the map alone. What exactly did you have in mind that I could do?
BATs: I definitely could use more BATs, as the Maxis building grow like crazy in Nyhaven. As it is, though, the game takes 5 minutes to load; I'd have to DAT-pack most of my plugins folder to avoid an even longer wait. Nevertheless, as kj3400 pointed out, I first posted this update at ST almost two years ago, before downloading a bunch of BATs. You'll see more of them in future updates.

Fatsuhono: Thanks a lot! Your comment about seawalls has inspired me to plan a future update about landscaping the riverbanks. Can you recommend a good, park-like set of seawalls? I know I've seen a set in other MDs; I just don't know who made them.

kj3400: Thank you for standing up for me! Also, I greatly appreciate your comments about Nyhaven. I hope you enjoy today's update!

GreekMan: Thank you! I've read your PM; thanks for the W2W BAT recommendations, which will help address the concerns that other repliers have raised. I also agree about posting teasers on Nyhaven's ST thread - I just need to take a little more time to take some close-up pictures when I play the game.

While the Beltway was the first limited-access highway in metropolitan Nyhaven, a new federal freeway program would ensure it wasn't the last. Three new highways extended radially away from downtown to let drivers travel unimpeded to Lower Columbia's other major cities. Heading north to Olympia and Seattle was Route 3, shown here in the suburban district of Melrose:

Meanwhile, Route 50 was built across Midtown and eastward to Portland and Boise:

(BTW, that open space between the highway and the industrial park is part of the park belt and has since been landscaped.)

Route 50 was also extended westward, replacing the old highway to Kendall and continuing west to Astoria. Here you can see it crossing the Columbia River near the old highway's bridge (which I later demolished because it was redundant):

These new routes came not a moment too soon. Nyhaven had just begun expanding its suburbs to the west, on Tenasillahe Island; the residents of the small town of Barrington, on the island's west side, hardly took notice. The Eastern and Grey Lines were extended onto the island to serve the new residents.

Further south on the island, next to the industrial park that adjoined the seaport, the Royal Navy decided to build a few blocks of housing for its sailors and their families:

Business was certainly booming in Nyhaven, thanks in part to all these new residents. The city's corporations were bringing in much more money now, and so they used some to build taller, more lavish office towers. Downtown quickly became much more vertical:

(The simulator really likes SimGoober's buildings; I can't tell you how many of those black Prentiss Office Buildings I've had to demolish.)

Everyone's favorite new buildings, though, were the chic Waterfront Towers - two twin buildings adjacent to the city boardwalk:

(I had only just noticed those backwards commercial lots when I prepared this image in Photoshop - something I fixed the next time I played the city.)

Not only were Nyhaveners more prosperous than ever - they were also hungrier for sports. To satisfy their demands, four new city teams were started. For the basketball-playing Huskies, national airline ColumbiAir sponsored an arena between midtown and uptown:

The biggest new development, however, was a veritable heaven for sports junkies. Three new venues were built across the channel as a massive development called Sporthaven:

Near the city aquarium, HSBC built an arena for the Killer Whales of hockey. The two biggest stadiums were built further south, at the intersection of Avenue D and 40th Street: Buechner Arena for the gridiron Thunderbirds and Rittenberg Field for the baseball Regals.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Pat

Zach,
  Boomtown is looking real nice there and I love those bridge crossings!!!  I cant wait till the 20th!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

woodb3kmaster

Pat: Thank you so much! There's only one more week to go before the famous Engineer's View returns!

Decades have passed since the last update; this will be a whirlwind tour of Nyhaven's growth in that time. Our first stop is downtown, where even more skyscrapers have risen thanks to another economic surge. The area is now a forest of white towers and placid blue monoliths, which have been built among the existing buildings:

As colorful as downtown is in the day, the bright lights of these towers are enough to leave anyone breathless at night:

But wait! This is no longer the only center of high-rise development. To the south, midtown is now blossoming as the home of both entertainment and the middle class. In fact, the entertainment scene here has become famous enough that techno DJ Sander Kleinenberg made mention of Nyhaven in his song "This Is Not Miami". (OK, not really, but you get the point.)

Even further south on Hunters Island, uptown's residential skyscrapers rival those near downtown:

The suburbs have been spreading too. In fact, they've grown so much that nearby towns have become part of metropolitan Nyhaven. Not far from uptown is Cathlamet, popular with sailing enthusiasts and home to the Royal University of Nyhaven:

To the northwest, meanwhile, the resort town of Skamokawa, a long-time getaway for politicians and newlyweds, now finds itself at the edge of the metropolis. Its hotels on Price Island are world-renowned for their opulence.

Across the city, the suburban growth has been butting up against that park belt that was put in place over 200 years ago. Greenswards like the Rossmore Golf Course, as popular with botanists and bird-watchers as it is with golfers, have suddenly found themselves surrounded by single-family homes and mansions:

More popular with families, however, is the Science Park due north of downtown, off Route 3 in Melrose. In addition to its plethora of museums and monuments, it is home to Nyhaven's aquarium and planetarium. Nearby is Melrose Common, home to the Regals' practice diamond.

(Transit buffs may be more interested in the light rail in this image, which shows the intersection of the recently-completed Parks Line with the northern end of the Hill Line.)

With all this growth, nobody doubted the need for a commuter airport to serve both Nyhaven and nearby Kendall (the national capital in case you've forgotten). Plans were quickly realized, and a massive two-terminal, 84-gate airport was built on Puget Island, far from present development. National airline ColumbiAir quickly made a hub out of it, leasing a quarter of all gates.

Two parallel runways were part of the original plan, though a third northwest-southeast runway was added soon after.

Hotel and retail chains were quick to cash in on the new airport, building a small commercial village just west of its entrance, off the extended Beltway (also known as Route 150). Here the largest hotels are still under construction:

By now, the traffic on Route 50 was getting pretty hairy in midtown; travelers from Kendall to the airport were not happy with the increasing wait to go where they wanted to go. Therefore, the Ministry of Transportation began work on a new western bypass, designated Route 250, that offered a direct link between Routes 50 (from Kendall) and 150 (to the airport). It currently ends near Barrington, but it is planned to cross the river to the north eventually. While its relative remoteness limits the number of interchanges, those that exist should please your inner roadgeek:

(This interchange was created before the release of the RHWMIS.)

All these new residents and visitors are just as sports-hungry as those who demanded the construction of Sporthaven. To please the newcomers, as well as provide useful new space for special events, a new athletics park was built up the highway from the airport, though still on Puget Island. It currently has five venues, as you can see, but a second stadium with a track is planned in the same architectural style as the nearby arena and swimming center. Along with a new railway station, the park includes a stop on the Central Line as it travels to the airport, making transit to the park a breeze.

And so we come to the present - 2365. Nyhaven is now home to over a million people, though it is still rather compact. Here's an overview of the metropolis, which you can click on to see the entire region.

Whew! Now that that's over, I can start showing the updates that make Nyhaven unique. Get ready for the arrival of Nyhaven: An Engineer's View next week!

Nuclear City - 5/8

kj3400

That's a huge region!
I look forward to the engineer updates  :thumbsup:
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

blade2k5

kj3400 was correct in saying that Nyhaven was a huge region.  I find it rather facinating on pondering what it might look like when you've developed the entire region.  I like the amount of pics you feature in your updates, I've always been for lots of pics to look at when reading through updates on MD's.  Obviously it's understatement to say Nyhaven is developing nicely, so I'll just close by saying fantasic job on this MD &apls

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

woodb3kmaster

kj3400, blade2k5: Thanks! I don't know if I eventually will fill up the region, but I do have plans for it. You may get to see some other cities there eventually!

Well, here it is: the first of the kind of updates that make Nyhaven great! Get ready for the beginning of the first-person view!

"Welcome to United Airlines flight 531 to Nyhaven. At this time we are pleased to let our first-class travelers board; please have your boarding pass out as you approach the gate."

It felt good to be going back to Nyhaven. After four long years in Los Angeles, I missed my shining city by the river. Growing up there I practially took life in Lower Columbia for granted. My family had seemingly always lived in that house out by Rossmore Lake, 4843 East Royce Street. I can see it now...

It was a modest place, to be sure - the sort of home you'd expect to live in if you, like my folks, made around 45,000 coulombs a year. We enjoyed the same amenities as other local families - you know, lights, a color TV, maybe a car or two with a V8 inside. I was just one of the local kids growing up, though I ended up a salutatorian of the class of 1966 at old James Johnson High:

OK, so maybe I pulled ahead of the pack in high school. Sure, not many other kids juggled track and field, Student Council, and academics, but... What? What's with that stare?

"Flight attendants, prepare for takeoff."

Amid the roar of the engines and feeling the landing gear lift from the ground, I thought of all that time I had spent in the City of Angels, or so they called it. Choosing UCLA over Royal U - Nyhaven was certainly a shock to my dad, who had always envisioned me going to his alma mater; deciding to do my whole academic career abroad - in America of all places - was almost more than he could stand to hear.

"But Paul," he said, "don't you know how much lower their standard of living is - to say nothing of moral standards?"

"What does it matter, Dad? College there is just as good as it is here, even if it's cheaper. Besides, someone has to be a light down there."

In the end, of course, he let me go; he knew he couldn't stop me. He was right about that whole standard of living thing, though - I was surprised when I heard that most Americans didn't make my family's standard income of $86,000!

Ah yes, Boelter Hall. All those hours spent in the building's labs and graduate offices are still fresh in my mind. See, I had always loved putting things together and figuring out how other things went together. Civil engineering was a natural fit for me. It didn't hurt to get into UCLA's school of engineering at all - I knew they were pretty choosy with their admissions. Still, eight years later, I knew I had made the right choice.

As the plane touched down, two and a half hours after I had left LA, I remembered what brought me back home. In looking for a job before being awarded my bachelor's degree, I had heard of the looming troubles Nyhaven's infrastructure would face if the city didn't follow an aggressive expansion plan soon. The city had no problem hiring one of its own to replace a disgraced engineer.

Taking a cab back home, it didn't look like much had changed. Oh sure, there were a couple new subdivisions off to the east, as well as a new stadium at Puget Island; but I knew those were coming. More money coming into Nyhaven meant more growth, ipso facto; and with the newfound interest in international athletics, work on the Big Park was inevitable. Traffic didn't give me much to think about either; we were cruising right along.

I hadn't really noticed the time, so I was surprised when things started getting dark as we came out of the Beltway Tunnel. Still, it wasn't all that dark by the time the taxi dropped me off in front of the old house. Unsurprisingly, my folks were happy to welcome me home. From what they told me over dinner, it seemed little really had changed in town - well, except out in the hills:

It was a pleasant surprise to hear of the new Thrillsborough Park in the outskirts. Kids in town needed something new to do on the weekends, and I thought all those new rides would do them some good. Granted, it wasn't much, but I knew it was hard to build any kind of amusement park in the Lincoln Hills.

Once my moving van was getting close, it was time to move into the apartment the city and some old friends had hooked me up with. While I was definitely glad to be living in midtown, waiting in traffic on Route 50 was not quite what I had in mind. I was stuck in my mom's Buechner for what felt like hours, just staring at ColumbiAir Arena.

My mood certainly lifted when I reached my new home in 661 21st Street. I was shocked at just how nice the building was - not to mention how close it was to the Port Line. Having the moving van show up just a minute later did nothing to calm my excitement. With all due haste, I checked in at the front desk and opened up my new flat, just in time for the first dolly to be wheeled in.

I was off to a great start.

Nuclear City - 5/8

woodb3kmaster

Well, how sad. No replies to my last update. You know, as much as I love sharing Nyhaven with you all, it's not all that worthwhile if nobody replies. If you're a lurker, please, post something!

Anyway, happy Thanksgiving to my readers from the States!

I was glad to have the whole weekend to unpack and gussy up my new apartment; but now that it was Monday, I was eager to see the office that waited for my arrival at City Hall. After putting together a briefcase's worth of office supplies, I headed down to the Port Line station at 20th Street to begin my morning commute. Even at 8AM, I was surprised by how many people were on my train.

When I got off at Midtown Junction, the next station, the place was positively brimming with other commuters. I had always heard that this was one of the three main junctions in the MetroRail system, but until I saw it for myself, I didn't really appreciate what that meant. I had to fight my way down several escalators to reach the Central Line's platforms, on one of the underground levels.

Without much delay, though, I ended up at the heart of the network - City Hall Station. Here the combined input of six rail lines (including the Kings Line, which had been built when I was still a kid) produced an unparalleled mob of travellers, to say nothing of train delays. Squeezing my way through the crowds, I finally ended up on the side of First Avenue, only a block from my destination.

The receptionist at City Hall was quite kind and gave me excellent directions to my new office. Just as I was getting settled at my desk, though, I heard a voice. "You're Paul Franconi, right?" said a balding man at my door.

"Yes, that's me," I replied.

"John Valdridge, from the mayor's office. Pleased to meet you, Paul." After shaking hands, John explained that Mayor Russell Lundgren had called a special advisors' meeting - in part to introduce me to my new coworkers, but also to discuss new projects Nyhaven needed done in the next few years. We hustled off to the cavernous boardroom, taking our seats just before the mayor arrived.

After we had all exchanged introductions, Mayor Lundgren began the meeting in earnest. "Ladies and gentlemen, as you are aware, our beloved city is on the verge of a new wave of growth. Miyako, what are the predictions?"

Chairwoman Miyako Gonzales of the Planning Commission stood up and projected an aerial image of the metro area onto the screen at the front. "Well, Mayor, thanks in part to enhanced foreign trade, my department has received dozens of new development proposals. I've highlighted the areas most likely to experience major growth over the next two decades on this map. As you can see, most of this new development will occur on the delta islands and near Cathlamet and Skamokawa, where low land values and proximity to highways are drawing the interest of homebuilders and businesses alike."

I decided to ask what was doubtless on everyone's minds right then: "What kind of infrastructure improvements will be need to make in these areas?"

Giuseppe Long, one of my fellow engineers, answered, "Our first priority in dealing with this new growth, repecially that in the north, should be to finish Route 250. My team and I have prepared a plan for three important areas of the extension's intended route:

"First, we'll need to reconfigure the highway's current end at Village Drive into a parclo interchange, due to the proximity of the Eastern line's station at East Barrington, with the highway rising to clear the road. We may also have to put that section of Village in a trench to allow the rail line enough clearance over the highway.

"To the north of Barrington, we'll need to build a short bridge across to Welsh Island. Currently the proposed path of this bridge is crossed by power lines from the Barrington Thorium Plant, which we'll have to rerout without plunging part of the city into darkness.

"The most expensive stretch of the new highway, however, will be its Columbia River crossing. At this point the river is over a mile wide, and the bridge will have to be tall enough to allow ferries and cargo ships to travel upriver to Port Nyhaven and beyond. Overall, this project could cost billions of coulombs."

"What about rail access?" I asked.

"That could be just as challenging, if i understand things correctly," Mayor Lundgren said. "Take a look at this map:

[map created by Benedict]

"With development forecast for so many areas, we'll not only have to add to existing lines - we'll also need entirely new lines. We also need to reduce the strain on City Hall Station, which is why we need to route the future Gold Line through other areas of downtown. Since much of these additions to the system will pass through existing development, they'll need to be built underground, adding to their cost."

Another man spoke up, who had been introduced as a representative of the Airport Administration. "Crowding on the commuter trains isn't the only problem, though," he said. "Delays at the airport are looming in the near future, unless its facilities are expanded."

"Just what needs to be added?" I asked him.

"To begin, we need a new international terminal," he answered. "I have ensured that a large area within airport boundaries will be kept open for construction of this terminal and associated infrastructure, as you can see on this slide. Besides increasing the airport's available plane stands by 50%, the proposed design would be a new, futuristic gateway to Nyhaven.

"Of course, the existing three runways won't be able to handle all those new flights on their own, so a new runway, parallel to existing Runway 11-29, will be built closer to Puget Island's shore. All this should help keep Nyhaven in the lead in the global marketplace."

Now, young Jane Hempstead of the Board of Tourism stood up. "While I agree with Mr. Bartholdi about the symbolism inherent in the future terminal, I believe a new monument within the city would further strengthen Nyhaven's global image.

"This picture shows what a possible South Point Observation Tower might look like. This would become the tallest structure in Nyhaven, visible for miles around. It would serve as an extra attraction for tourists, and could even help us with our planned Simlympic bid."

"While all these projects sound wonderful," Budget Adviser Clark O'Hara interrupted, "where will all the money they'll require come from? Even with the city's outstanding budget surplus, it would take decades to accumulate all the coulombs necessary to complete more than one project."

"I agree," I replied. "Why don't we appeal to Parliament for federal funding? Everyone knows that Nyhaven is a major source of the kingdom's tourist revenues; surely the king will have some vested interest in helping us out." After some discussion, everyone agreed. Much to my surprise, though, they also agreed to send me to lobby for these funds! Next week, I would be off to Kendall, to beg the government for capital.

Nuclear City - 5/8

flyinbird93

nice cj!  i really like your bridges and development from downtown across the river.  your rail transit map is nice too!  and the region shot is pretty sweet too, nicely filled :)

GreekMan

sorry i haven't been here in a while......
looking forward to more updates!!!!

So what is the background on the mian character? IS he a transport engineer or head of the transportation part in the city?
Recreation: San Diego County
Rebuilding America's Finest City!
Visit my MD today!

woodb3kmaster

flyinbird93: Thanks for all your nice comments! I'm glad you like Nyhaven. Make sure you stick around for more in the coming weeks; all-new updates will start here and at ST on January 15!

GreekMan: No worries, just stop by when you have the time. As to Paul's background, while I described his past in update 8, I never actually said what position he was filling at the City of Nyhaven. While it would make more sense for a recent college graduate to be hired as an entry-level engineer, I think that to do all the things that Paul has done (like lobbying Parliament, as in today's update), he must be the city's chief engineer. It may not be all that plausible, but I think it works.

While so far Paul has only worked on transportation projects, I don't want to say that he's specifically a transport engineer, since he also works on constructing buildings and other things, as you'll see in future updates. So, really, he's more of a general engineer. Hope that's a good answer for you!

I had successfully set up an appointment to speak to the national Minister of Transportation on Friday, but borrowing a city car to drive to Kendall was like pulling teeth. Ultimately, though, I had jumped through enough hoops to get a good one. I had always had a soft spot for the Rickenbach STX5 Sportster, and I was glad to get into one. On Friday, after a brief visit to my office, I headed down to the city motorpool and headed off to the capital.

The trouble with downtown is: there are no nearby highways. I had to drive eighteen blocks down Fourth Avenue through heavy morning traffic just to get on Route 50! Oh well, maybe I'll be able to fix that someday. At least traffic let up once I was on my way out of town.

Driving down the highway, it was nice to see some open land as I passed the junction where the old Kendall highway diverged from Route 50. Somehow I didn't think it would be open for much longer, what with predictions of a new wave of immigration to the country - to say nothing of the economy's sustained growth.

In hardly no time, I was passing through the suburbs of Kendall. The buildings got taller as I approached my exit, Rector Avenue. Soon I was in the heart of the city, with Grand Union Station on my left. Not far away, up on its own hill, I could see the Parliament house. But I knew not to let the sights distract me; I was on a mission.

Driving down Royal Boulevard, one of the major roads flanking the open land between Parliament and the royal palace, it didn't take long to reach the offices of the Ministry of Transportation. After some searching, I parked next to a meter and headed inside. After finding my way to Mr. Paulopoulos's office, I told his secretary I had an appointment, and she let me in.

Minister Paulopoulos listened carefully as I explained all of Nyhaven's pressing infrastructure needs and agreed the city would need extra funds to accomplish its projects. "Unfortunately," he said, "much as I would like to send your city all the money it can't provide for itself, that's beyond my capacities, even as head of this ministry. You'll have to present your case to Parliament. While it's too late for them to hear you today, I can arrange for you to get on their agenda for Monday; it seems they haven't had much to debate lately. Will that work for you?"

"Certainly," I replied; and after exchanging business cards, I went on my way to find a hotel for the weekend.

Some folks back at city offices were a little wary of my request for a weekend stay in Kendall, but once I spoke to Mayor Lundgren, it was pretty easy to get approval. It was just my luck that the Capital Marriott had a vacancy - it was right in the center of the city! From my window I could see what looked like a nice museum one block over, so the next day I paid it a visit. It's not like I had anything to do until Monday, anyway...

After that visit, I checked out the tourist guides in the hotel lobby. Looking through the venue catalog, I was struck by the impressive scale of the new International Culture Center not too far away. From its description, it sounded like a fun place, with displays of many foreign artworks and performances going on at once. I ended up spending the whole rest of the day there, it was so much fun!

After all that, having emerged from services at the National Cathedral on Sunday, I figured it was time to just relax and wander around the grand lawns the city was built around. I also took the opportunity to visit the monuments along the park's sides.

Finally, my moment before the king and Parliament came. When it was my turn to take the floor, I gave a thorough explanation of all Nyhaven's upcoming projects, stressing the costs that would be involved and how the benefits would spill over to the nation at large. After an hour or so, I had done all I could do to persuade the government; now I just had to let them make their choice, however long that would take.

Nuclear City - 5/8

Nexis4Jersey

Wow great city Update , I really love the downtown feel  &apls

nerdly_dood

Not bad! This looks like you've put a lot of effort into it, particularly the airport and the layout with the city center and the burbs...  :thumbsup:
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

ExiLe

Wow, you have some massive urban areas going on here, very nice!

I also like the way you present the information, you got some skills there mon! ;)

keep it up!

take care,
...coming soon

kj3400

That's a really nice city. It seems so isolated on the region view.
Looking forward to the next update.
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

un1

I like your cities.  :thumbsup:
I think you will get very far.
Very, very nice. ;D

-un1

bat

Great new updates there! And sorry for missing some...

Looking forward to more... :)

GreekMan

Yet another great Nyhaven update! Yeah I forget about Sc4D sometimes(I am way too much into ST)
Another 'old' updates and then unto the new ones!!!!
looking forward to more Zack!
Visit my MD today!

woodb3kmaster

flyinbird93: Thanks for stopping by and replying! I do my best to make the story worth reading.

Nexis: Thanks!

Nerdly_dood: I appreciate your compliments! I try to build realistic cities and airports, although I'm kind of flexible with my scales...

ExiLe: Thank you! I think a lot of cities are lacking in suburbs, which are a major part of any big city. They may be boring to build, but they really add to the realism.

kj3400: Thanks! I'm sure part of that isolated look is because there's almost nothing else in the region. I'll fix that eventually.

un1: Thanks! I appreciate your comments.

bat: Don't worry too much about missing some updates - you're always welcome to catch up when you can! Thanks for stopping by!

GreekMan: I know what you mean, though I think it's the opposite for me - I spend way more time here than at ST. Glad you still like the old updates!

Thank you all for the amazing response to my call for replies! I really appreciate it.

Before I begin today's update, I should mention that it dates from before RHW 2.0 was released, so I had no MIS to play around with. That's why the highway ramps you're about to see are made of NAM ramps and OWRs. It's also worth mentioning that the city tile on which the interchange involving these ramps was built later became corrupted, so I had to start it over. The rebuilt interchange makes use of the RHW and MIS; you might get to see it later. With that out of the way, on to the update!

After a couple weeks, it seemed like Parliament was taking forever to decide if they would send Nyhaven money. I wondered if my presentation had had much effect. However, as I was preparing for work some time later, what should I read at the top of the Sentinel? Take a look:

I was ecstatic! Well, maybe not for Provost Laplace, but you get the idea. I rushed over to City Hall, where several of my coworkers were similarly happy. With federal funding guaranteed, we could finally start working on the city's most pressing need: the extension of Route 250. I called a department meeting to find out how much planning still needed to be done, only to find that it seemed to have all been finished.

The maps and diagrams all looked solid to me, so I began the process of getting city permission to start building. With that complete, the first part of the new highway to be built would have to be the redesigned Village Drive interchange.

First off, the construction site needed to be cleared, which meant rerouting the current end of the highway and detouring Village to make room for its eventual underpass beneath the highway. After a couple of months, it was time to start digging! As usual, I made regular check-up visits to the site, making sure that everything was on schedule.

When the time finally came to build the roadbed, I made sure that highway traffic was detoured onto the next exit to the south, as the old detour had to be removed. I must say, the underpass looked pretty good once it had been landscaped.

By November, the first pair of ramps was done, just as they were supposed to be. Unfortunately, the construction crew had to reroute the nearby road that was giving access to the adjacent Eastern Line station, but it didn't cause much of a hiccup.

In just a couple more months, the new interchange was open for business - at least partly, since the rest of Route 250 was still under construction. On the other side of Barrington, workers were making progress towards the first bridge of the project:

Those power lines from the thorium plant were quickly moved to allow work on the bridge to begin. The highway was also beginning to take shape further north, on the Welsh Island side of the bridge. Soon they would be connected...

This bridge may not have been a marvel of engineering, but it was just what the project needed. Further north, at the big crossing, the crew was taking every precaution on the long bridge:

By March, they had finally finished stringing the main cables from one side of the river to the other; now it was time to lay down the deck. Despite the obvious safety hazards, progress was still picking up speed.

The first time I saw the completed bridge, I was in awe. It was more beautiful, more graceful than I had expected from a bridge! The best part for me, though, was the feeling that this project was almost done.

It was a special honor to be at the highway's ribbon-cutting ceremony that July. At last, a huge gap in the highway system was filled in! Now I could go on to other challenges awaiting the city...

Nuclear City - 5/8

GreekMan

Great update zack! I wonder what's next for the city of Nyhaven

looking forward to more updates!
Visit my MD today!