• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Showcase

Started by mattb325, February 01, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matias93

I'm beginning to suspect it's the opposite way: developers lurking on this thread to get building ideas to replicate on the real world

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

manga rivotra

Christmas is coming early this year! :bnn:
A big thank you for these 42 new models that elevate the game to a level never before reached.
The dream of having buildings along the FAR roads is finally a reality.  :thumbsup:
More, you have made superb choice of buildings, magnificent realization and you even reach perfection by adding these small parks and other car parks to fill the empty spaces (This first small park is moreover a real little jewel !  :o).
In fact, this is exactly what we needed and a major step forward for the game. If only other creators could imitate you, the life of this good old Sim City 4 would be further extended.
Thank you to continue to surpass yourself with each new upload!  &apls &apls &apls

mattb325

The clinic; FAR-3 over-hang, FAR-3 corner lot and Ortho Lot are available here:
https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3712

Thanks Jack_wilds, matias93 and manga rivotra.

That new Appleton library looks interesting, especially for such a small city.

Almost all of my buildings are made up........unless they aren't  ::)

Specifically, there is a set of principles ('rules', if you prefer) that you use whether you are Zaha Hadid designing abstract buildings, or Bunny Williams doing classicist interiors or Vita Sackville-West planning a perennial border, or just some nobody making crap bats for a game. Despite what appears to the untrained eye as wildly different results and media, the rules are the same for each; they are well documented and all designers know these either instinctively or prescriptively.

For one of my council chambers a dust-buster was inspiration; a set of Y-fronted underpants lying on the bed inspired the Train Station/Office building that started the multi-function station pack; the Galleria was a slug, the Museum was St Marks square in flood, and the church was a some corn chips on a plate. The littlest thing can inspire, I guess and the littlest thing can un-inspire.

I think it's now time to quote another batter, Simgoober, on 12 Jan 2009. It is on page 92 of his old thread and explains why he stopped batting for quite some time prior:

"Then the comments start to come out again,"Do it MY way, not YOUR way".  stuff like that.  And I remembered why I left those years ago...  Comments that keep it from being fun.  And this IS all about fun ..."

Nothing has changed.

belfastsocrates

Well speaking for myself you've made an enormous contribution to the game and particularly for players like myself that prefers a hybrid European style and craves the modern generic apartment, commercial and civic popping up in cities. I love your creations.

It's difficult to ignore criticism but just keep doing things your way and you'll always have more supporters than critics. I think some people forget you're doing this for free on your own time, the latter of which which becomes increasingly difficult to find as we get older.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

AsimPika3172

Oh yeah!  :bnn: Anoter FAR building was released!  :thumbsup: Is time for ENJOY!!!  &apls &apls &apls
I loves Sim City forever!

Jack_wilds

HI Matt

I hope to not be a downer or be one of those guys that make not fun anymore... I really like your work... ranks with CP, JBSimio, Jmeyers, Fred's farm stuff even... so what I hope is running a cross 'those guys' again to apply lots of salt and read on... as I take things as they are and use what I like... how it was done is a study for my own works... so to that if I came across badly I digress and trust you can finish whats on your plate before deciding to retire... as so many before wound up with RL or other issues getting the way of projects that may never get done... all of CP's current projects, [which thoroughly enjoy], JB's UofC, and a number of farm packs waiting on... but as it is with life take it as it comes...

the last two designers mentioned rang bells ahd to go back and do reviews... ad I honestly can say I see influences of their works everywhere... however application are far from pure... inspirations and aspirations most likely... and as you said about the mixed use Library for Appleton downtown... we maybe a 'town' of 75k [add teh whole fox cities its 150k] but several projects are coming to downtown besides that... as USVenture Energies is building national hdqtrs there plus a couple more projects... plus the look of yur civics and this proposed library puzzles me as to what sort of architectural genre they would be in...  so Appleton the country city it is is getting a skyline...

so MattB... be at peace... create what pleases you in teh manner that works best for you... take heart and keep sharing for as long as you want to...

back to fence sitting

:popcorn:

art128

Frankly If I were in your shoes ( and I will be since I will start BATing again real soon) I would just ignore people who do such criticism as do it my way etc. Just ignore them. If they're not happy well that's their problem frankly. (unless they start to down-vote your uploads, which is another matter) : "Eh? You're not happy with the stuff I provide for free and make out of my valuable time? Well that's a shame isn't it.... :----))))) "
Is how I see things at least.
I know I have myself asked you a few times politely if it would be possible to have X building without Y sign etc. Even if you told me no I would still use the building because that's just a detail. I know how long rendering can take since I BAT as well.

I appreciate all the buildings you keep doing over the years. I have a lot of them in my plugins sitting on custom lots waiting for a sweet spot in my cities.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

brick_mortimer

Thanks for the Monticello Farm!
It's a beautiful model and a pleasant surprise to see this release  &apls
Keep up the good work  :thumbsup:
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

metarvo

Nice work Matt!  I've always thought diagonal, or even FAR (!) options would be great for civic services given that they are plopped rather than grown so that one doesn't have to worry as much about a building not being aligned to the road on which it grows.  Looks like I've been missing all the good stuff.

Also, please don't worry about the critics.  It goes without saying that you're doing a great job.  I've always been impressed with your work.  Keep it up!

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tyberius06

Quote from: art128 on November 04, 2018, 11:03:32 PM
( and I will be since I will start BATing again real soon)

It sounds like a nice symphony to my ears! :) I've been waiting for this news for a while.

Anyway, with these FAR buildings I'm gonna replan my cities and start making FA networks. Great work, Matt!  &apls &apls &apls

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

mattb325

Thanks guys, good to see you back metarvo  :) And I can't wait to see what bats you have in store for us, art128  ()stsfd()

Despite what it looks like, I'm actually not that concerned with the critics. I know that it would appear the exact opposite.

Another couple have been released.

Monticello Farm:

Here:https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3714

I'm putting the finishing touches on the quasi-private school version and that will also be released.

And, with the sad news of Geoff's passing, I created a little memorial park/plaza. That's two team-mates gone and it sucks.  :crytissue: It's not the typical frills and ribbons, or overt religious imagery that many of these lots often are, but I hope it conveys a sense of silent reflection as well as being good enough to place in a CBD setting. I had to laugh when the troll factory popped up right next to it during testing  $%Grinno$%

Here:https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3716

bladeberkman

Lovely plaza! Makes for a great alternative to the Maxis plaza.

fantozzi

Thank you for giving Geoffhaw some place inside the game. Also for future players to remember his name. I like this idear. That is - normally how people become legend - their names still fly around - long after they have gone. So it is up to us - those, who can remember - to tell stories, to create legends. And it is an important work to do. Because without legends to look up and to take as a compass to follow, maybe not the single person, but communities and societies get lost in dispute. Always.

David H

I love the Montecello Farm. It reminds me a bit of the Plantation level from Left for Dead 2.

mattb325

Thanks guys.

Another few have been released: Monticello Private School. While Monticello looks beautiful as a farm (if I do say so myself), it will have a lot more use as both a farm and a school, for which it convincingly fits the bill. So this is modded as a "hybrid" of the in-game private and standard schools. It educates all ranges k-6 and 7-12. Additionally, it increases desirability and lifts R$$$ caps; it also has a slider/cost so it will actually fill up more quickly than the in-game private schools.

Here: https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3717

Also the Urban Fire Station is released. This has a FAR-3 lot (which is really good for corners), a FAR-3 overhang and a standard ortho lot:

Here: https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3719

Sadly this summer has been an absolute shocker in the Northern Hemisphere for fires. S. Europe, N. Europe, the Arctic Circle, Canada and now of course, the catastrophic Californian conflagration that has wiped Paradise from the map as well as scorching swathes of LA despite being only a few weeks away from 'winter'.
Thankfully, the world's leading scientist and smartest ever human, Dumbold Trump, has reassured us that the fires are about gross mismanagement and he will cut forest funding. Maybe he'll use the savings to instead buy Australian coal. Let's see how far we can turn up the thermostat. Sheesh   &hlp &mmm

Also, the FAR-3 Library:

Here: https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3721

A library is certainly not the sort of place you will find Dumbold Trump...unless it has a TV with Fox and Friends playing on repeat....

And lastly for today the police station. An ortho, Far overhang and full lot version:

https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3723

It's nice to be clearing the backlog of files  ;D

metarvo

I've been checking back every day this week, anticipating the moment that these lots would be released, and once again you've delivered.

Libraries are somewhat an underrepresented niche in SC4.  Actually, libraries IRL might well be endangered one day given the proliferation of e-books and the general lack of interest in reading now.  I myself prefer actual physical books, the kind which fill the shelves of libraries like this one.  The fact that this one is fractional is a nice bonus.

Nice job!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

art128

Thanks for these uploads!
I like how the police cars' lights turn on during the night. Very cool detail.

BTW Metarvo, not sure if it's an American thing, but here in France the physical book aisle in shops like FNAC (Big chain of media stores, books, CDs, DVDs etc) is still pretty big. From the early 00s to now I don't think it shrunk that much.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Kitsune

That police station fits as perfect general office building for seaports too ! :) Been looking for something like that.
~ NAM Team Member

fantozzi

Apart from the police station beeing a perfect police station ... it reminds me of the "Volkshochschule (VHS)" in Cologne. The VHS is an association dedicated to the education of adults, f.e. teaching computer basic to senior citizens, teaching autogenous training, cooking for homosexuals or how to built do-it-yourself freeze-dry units. Things like this. I think in english you would call this an adult education center?

One question: what is the building behind the BSC-Memorial?

mrbisonm

Superbe Bats again. Just what I needed to continue with my town.... Thanks

mrb

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)