• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Scandinavian landmarks

Started by imoutofusernameideas, March 20, 2016, 05:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoutofusernameideas

Hey everybody,

I've thought about creating a Scandinavian city in the future, inspired by the large Nordic capitals like Stockholm (particularly Stockholm), Oslo, Copenhagen and to some degree Helsinki.
For R and C I've found quite a lot of stuff; among others I've browsed the file libraries of Glenni, OfS and Krio and while there isn't an excess of Scandinavian buildings out there, some of the German w2w's are sufficiently similar to the style I'm going for.
The thing that I'm still missing though is the landmark side of things. While Helsinki and Oslo are reasonably covered, Stockholm is not, the only two things to be found were Maxis' Ericsson globe and Drottningholm Palace. When looking at pictures of the aforementioned cities, one thing is very clearly standing out: their "skylines" are dominated by churches. I've searched quite a bit for this and will continue to do so and while I have made my peace with the fact that I won't find replicas of Riddarholmskyrkan and Stockholm city hall, I would at least (or preferably) get my hands on some religious/civic buildings in the same architectural style.
As I've said, I will continue searching but if anyone has found one of those hidden gems (or any Scandinavian (-style) public building/landmark for that matter) I'd be very interested and thankful!  :)

Sincerely, imoouni

Themistokles

I think it's great to see someone creating a Scandinavian city. :) I'd really love to follow you progress!

Unfortunately, I have not much to contribute with regarding Swedish-style churches (or content in general). If that's of any help, I'd think the closest match would be the Amsterdam churches that Debussyman created (this one has the same bricks as Riddarholmskyrkan, although not the same spire).
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

imoutofusernameideas

Hey themistokles,

Thanks for the answer. That particular church is probably a bit too Dutch for me, but I'll give his other bats a look and perhaps broaden my search by giving Dutch churches a look.

In the meantime what do you think of this one?
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/18372-tromsoe-domkirke/