• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Seraf's Atelier

Started by seraf, June 08, 2009, 04:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivo_su

Maybe my question will seem a bit silly,  but I want to know which side will enter the railway tracks in this station. I guess  platforms themselves will be located inside the building, which will be waiting, but I do not see where they could  have railways.

- Ivo

namspopof

Very impressive work !  &apls
STRATEGIUM ALLIANCE
The French site for strategic simulation in real time, member of French associative network Jeux-Stratégie.com
My BAT for SC4
ToutSimCitiesFrench site for SC4.

art128

I.. I... I just have no words to describe this, so i'll let a picture to speak..

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

RedImperator

Quote from: ivo_su on December 21, 2011, 08:40:44 AM
Maybe my question will seem a bit silly,  but I want to know which side will enter the railway tracks in this station. I guess  platforms themselves will be located inside the building, which will be waiting, but I do not see where they could  have railways.

- Ivo
The tracks came into old Penn underground (still do--when they demolished the old station, they basically just scraped the aboveground structure off and left the underground platforms).  To model that in SC4, you'd have to use a rail-to-subway converter and make Penn Station a subway station.

I can think of ways to do it that wouldn't require subways, but they'd probably be a lot of extra work, and they'd limit players' flexibility in placing it. 

whatevermind

Actually, I'd suggest a different way to handle the tracks into Penn Station.  While it should double as a subway station (it does have a massive subway stop underneath), you could use a partially sunken lot to handle the train approach from the New Jersey side.  As a plus, there is a brief section between the Hudson and the station where the tracks actually are open to the air, so it wouldn't be too much a stretch (I don't think), to have the lot extend 3 or so tiles beyond the building on the one side, showing tracks ramping up from an underground station level up to surface level, where they could be connected to a surface rail network.  The LIRR tracks are entirely below ground, so they wouldn't show anyway, and unless there is a way to designate the station an underground rail station and connect it to that network, that might be a bit of realism that is unrealizable.

Edit: Another thought just occurred to me, and that would be to suggest that should you take the sunken lot approach and there are visible tracks, to use standard double rail at least at the point of connection to the rail network.  I know some lots use single rail (and soon maybe even triple rail), but this lot is likely to be very popular, plus there are tons of switches available for those who want to switch double rail to single or triple once it leaves the station.  Double rail makes it most compatible with the most people.

RedImperator

Quote from: whatevermind on February 25, 2012, 03:44:35 PM
Actually, I'd suggest a different way to handle the tracks into Penn Station.  While it should double as a subway station (it does have a massive subway stop underneath), you could use a partially sunken lot to handle the train approach from the New Jersey side.  As a plus, there is a brief section between the Hudson and the station where the tracks actually are open to the air, so it wouldn't be too much a stretch (I don't think), to have the lot extend 3 or so tiles beyond the building on the one side, showing tracks ramping up from an underground station level up to surface level, where they could be connected to a surface rail network.  The LIRR tracks are entirely below ground, so they wouldn't show anyway, and unless there is a way to designate the station an underground rail station and connect it to that network, that might be a bit of realism that is unrealizable.

Edit: Another thought just occurred to me, and that would be to suggest that should you take the sunken lot approach and there are visible tracks, to use standard double rail at least at the point of connection to the rail network.  I know some lots use single rail (and soon maybe even triple rail), but this lot is likely to be very popular, plus there are tons of switches available for those who want to switch double rail to single or triple once it leaves the station.  Double rail makes it most compatible with the most people.
That was the method I was thinking of (someone released an in-line station that does exactly that; I have it, and it's been useful), but it does place limits on how you can place the station, which I'd be loath to do given that the lot is already going to be enormous and destined to be placed downtown somewhere (I've had trouble fitting the Gare du Nord for that exact reason--huge station plus track approaches create too much of a barrier in my downtowns).

Of course, if it already has the subway stop, then you can just dig the hole, fill everything in so the ground is flush with the station, and use the subway station only.  So maybe your way offers more flexibility than mine.  The only problem would be the extension on the concourse side, and I think there are some eye candy rail tunnel entrances floating around, so that's not insurmountable.

I completely agree on using the double rail if you do have visible surface rail connection.  I would have to imagine the majority of players are still routinely using double track.

While we're talking about train stations, what I'd really love is something like Reading Terminal or old Broad Street Station in Philadelphia, where the concourse, platforms, and tracks are actually elevated, so I could run viaduct rail directly into a major terminal station without trying to squeeze in a 15m elevation change somewhere. 

EDIT: Or Newark Penn Station, which is the same idea applied to a through station.

Schulmanator

I am curious about the status of the White City project... it is a concept I considered for the design of my new capital and am keenly interested in it.

Thanks
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

DaveN

I think that the Seraf dont have a time for post here, or what is more frightening, now abandoned this issue. But I hope that my feelings are wrong, and Seraf yet again surprised us with their works.

I hope so.

desiiito

Great work,Seraf!!I have a project connected with Palazzo Chiericati and i need more information about the meazurements of the building.. please if you see this i would be very thankful if you contact me ( deska_@gbg.bg ) :))

seraf

Well, I guess it's time to sweep away the cobwebs ;)

While I post renders of most of my creations in my NYBT thread nowadays, I still have some projects that represent the buildings from the rest of the world. To get started in this new year I thought I will make something small that I will be able to finish rather fast.

I chose a memorial from my home city - Kaiser Wilhelm Denkmal. Sadly it's no longer standing.

noahclem

Looks promising! Funny timing for your return as I was just wondering if you were up to anything these days after discovering you Kew Gardens conservatory yesterday :D  Welcome back  :thumbsup:

romualdillo

That will be a great monument!!!  :thumbsup:

Bipin

Can't wait to see this one finished, nice work so far!  &apls

Shark7

That is a beautiful monument.  And I'm guessing that picture is from around the turn of the 20th century?

Looking forward to the finished product.  :)

seraf

Quote from: noahclem on January 04, 2015, 02:22:11 PM
Looks promising! Funny timing for your return as I was just wondering if you were up to anything these days after discovering you Kew Gardens conservatory yesterday :D  Welcome back  :thumbsup:

Which one? :D I made three ;) Thank you for comment! :)

Quote from: romualdillo on January 04, 2015, 03:51:59 PM
That will be a great monument!!!  :thumbsup:

Thank you :)

Quote from: Bipin on January 05, 2015, 04:32:27 AM
Can't wait to see this one finished, nice work so far!  &apls

Thank you :)

Quote from: Shark7 on January 08, 2015, 12:27:38 PM
That is a beautiful monument.  And I'm guessing that picture is from around the turn of the 20th century?

Looking forward to the finished product.  :)

Yes, I like it too, it's a pity that it was destroyed :( And yes, I think it's a postcard made from photograph :)

I BATed the Leaning Tower of Pisa and it's avilable on STEX :) Enjoy :)

romualdillo

kelis

Fantastic work !! It looks very realistic my friend  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Bipin

Lovely work, as to be expected from you.  &apls

seraf

As the forums system kindly reminded me: "this topic has not been posted in for at least 90 days". It's high time to do something about it ;)

I've been working on this project for a few months now. It's not one of my "main" project so I don't expect to finish it anytime soon but I thought I'd share my progress on it.

I'm aware that Schriefer is also working on Hogwarts Castle but since the appearance of it changed over the movies I wanted to do my own version, including the elements that I like and discarding those I don't.

Those are HD renders, I'm still not sure if I should export such a monster of a BAT in HD...but if I don't most of the details will be lost. Oh well, I will think about it when it's finished :P

vortext

Not too big a fan of HP, however, that's quite a spectacular model - though the tower is too dominant imho. Nonetheless, I hope you'll continue working on it, sure could use another castle!   :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana