• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Seraf's Atelier

Started by seraf, June 08, 2009, 04:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seraf

Buzzit - thanks :)

serebii666 - I'm afraid not very well. Buildings are so big than I cannot export them in one piece and I didn't any nightlights because I was in hurry ... that and a few other bugs prevent me from uploading the buildings... :(

Update from custom house:

and preview of sculpture at the front:

vester

One thing that jump into my eyes is the roof.

Would split up the roof into smaller pieces, so the textures can be aligned with the edges of the roof.
and the roof needs some sort of slope, not a lot but just a little, like on this drawing:

adding a few more lines to the roof:

(and a few more around the small houses)

seraf

Thank you vester! :)

What do you think now?

Evillions8

Aaron Graham

Wonderful work and can't say much on the roof because I have to look at the real life building again.
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

seraf

Thank you Evillions and Aaron. I think the custom house is complete, only few mistakes left to correct.

vester

You have to place your roof textures so it's either perdicular to the gutter or parallel to the gutter:

Here is indicated a texture direction parallel to the gutter.

Not sure if this is a tar roof or ?

I guess it could also be a metal roof like zinc, but a bit expensive for something you normally can't see.

If it is metal, you could visit rheinzink.com, to see some references.

Just for fun could you post a rendering from the top of the building ?

seraf

vester sorry but I don't understand what you mean. It's a flat roof so it won't have anything in the middle, if that's what you mean. Look at this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanbudhu/4706592820/

I changed the color because I don't like this ugly blue-purple. And I think the directions of shingles on flat roof won't change because of minor inclination for water :)

vester

Could be a zinc roof. Its hard to tell.
The blue color is a bit strange. Maybe it is the light.

If you use shingles on a flat roof, you will be sure to get water through it. You will need use a metal roof or a tar roof on a flat roof.

Just let the lanes run all the way through.

Maybe you could use this texture of mine:

with this bumb map:

(maybe adding a few grey lines between the white)

Use that texture on this bat.

A zink roof:

SimFox

I believe blue color is a bad over-processing of the image - just look at the insanely blue roof of the building in the foreground. 
The rood is most definitely not metallic - it is not really reflective - look at the metallic reflective AC unites and how they react to light.

I think I even know the sequence of steps that lead to such a color, but that doesn't matter, what, on the other hand does is that you can ask author of the photo for the original RAW file. I think if you explain the reason, show him your model and say that you will credit his help he would give it to you; I know I would! Even with not promise oof any credit, just because anyone putting so much effort into what is a public good deserves any and every help!

Once you have Raw file (given that it is from Canon 7D) you would get tons of info on the roof material from it!

vester

Quote from: SimFox on January 30, 2011, 04:20:22 PM
The rood is most definitely not metallic - it is not really reflective - look at the metallic reflective AC unites and how they react to light.

Sorry but I don't follow you there. Some metal have are reflective, others on the other hand aren't.
What about the green roofs ? Not metals, as well ?

I would say zinc roofs is after some years not that reflective:

Ventilation ducts and the units on the other hand is mostly made up of reflective metals.

Had a look first at google maps: the building was in the shadows
then I went to bing maps:

To me it looks more or less like a tar roof, put out in long lanes,

but then again I would write out an old zink roof !

Lowkee33

I hope they wouldn't put tar on a building like that, but I believe it.

It is a red slate according to this site: http://www.oldnycustomhouse.gov/history/architecture.asp.  Perhaps they are talking about the red around the windows though...

spa

Looks like rolled on roofing to me! Definitely not metal or shingles.

DebussyMan

Great building so far. The modelling is superb  :thumbsup:

On the other hand, the texturing is a real turn-off. It looks completely sterile, cold and plastic.  &ops

About the roof: I also agree that it is more likely to be tar than a metal cover; however, if you don't mind taking an artistic licence, I think it would look good with zinc.

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

SimFox

Quote from: vester on January 30, 2011, 04:43:22 PM
Sorry but I don't follow you there. Some metal have are reflective, others on the other hand aren't.
What about the green roofs ? Not metals, as well ?

I would say zinc roofs is after some years not that reflective:

Ventilation ducts and the units on the other hand is mostly made up of reflective metals.

Had a look first at google maps: the building was in the shadows
then I went to bing maps:

To me it looks more or less like a tar roof, put out in long lanes,

but then again I would write out an old zink roof !

And some metals are liquid, so no roofs could be made out of them - would you say that NO roof could be metal because of this? Also "green roofs" are just that - green. If that is only characteristic you gonna mention than I would say yes perhaps they are not metal.
But to the point, I've said metallic, not metal. Metallic is more a definition of certain properties of metals, like luster, rather than simple indication of the composition (like in made out of metal). And all the pictures of the roof of this building very clearly indicate that it hasn't got metallic look. Particularly like those of zinc.
So if you wanna say that this is zinc that doesn't look like one, doesn't interact with light like zinc, but still zinc - go ahead. But what is the point?
Besides, to make something look realistically metallic one must be concern first and for the most with properties of material rather than bitmap texture.

And the picture of Zinc roofing you used is actually reflective, not glossy reflective, but reflective non the less. Would it not be all the ridges would have had same color, yet on the picture it is very clear that some are great deal brighter than others - very clear indication of high reflectivity of the material.

In the end, the roof on the model will never be zinc or anything else, it doesn't exists. All there is just an illusion. And it should be accurate one.

seraf

Ok guys ... I made two new versions of the roof. Debussy, according to your notes I try to soil the textures a bit. Hope it's better now.

serebii666

I vote for the second pic... it just looks more urban and antique than the first picture. Great job!
"If Kyle has 3 apples and is shorter that John who has 7 and if John is taller than Jenny who just graduated from Harvard, how old is Karen?"

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

thingfishs

My vote is also for the second one, but I do find it to be a bit consistently dark now in comparison to the first one. On first glance I liked the first one better, but on closer inspection, it has some odd recurring details that spoil it a bit. So I guess I'd be going for something in between. (option C)  ::)

It is an amazing looking building :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

btw - has there been any further progress with the gazebo? (I too have lots of projects on the go at the same time and I'm not impatient, just curious ;))

Tyler

It's people like you that make me depressed because I open GMAX and can't even BAT a textureless box :(

All of your stuff is excellent.  &apls

seraf

Thanks all :)

thingfishs - OMG I totally forgot about the gazebo  :o  Here's some progress:

And my next project; Farley Post Office from NYC: