• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabian93

My first real try at an intersection with the RHW :)

Click on it!

Fabian ;)

Haljackey

Quote from: fafalone on May 15, 2010, 02:07:46 PM
I suck at RHWxRHW interchanges:

Umm... well I don't think so. The fact that you made a full RHW-RHW junction tells me you don't "suck" at all. With more trial and error I'm sure you will be able to produce some wonderful creations!

Quote from: caspervg on May 16, 2010, 02:29:41 AM
Something 'special' I created. emgmod called this a "2 level roundabout dumbbell parallel highway interchange"...

Umm... That is something else.  :P

Quote from: Fabian93 on May 16, 2010, 06:12:01 AM
My first real try at an intersection with the RHW :)

Looks good, but I would suggest if you're using smooth curves, use them for all your curves. When they are use selectively it kind of looks odd. In addition, one of your overpasses could be converted to RHW-4, and your type "A" ramp could be converted to type "C" because I see an additional lane beginning at the bottom of the picture.

Great work everyone! Keep it up!  :thumbsup:

SeanSC4

High Capacity TBone Interchange (I think)

j-dub

Quote from: caspervg on May 16, 2010, 02:29:41 AM
Something 'special' I created. emgmod called this a "2 level roundabout dumbbell parallel highway interchange"...

Caspervg, this almost is like a triple decker. I don't know if you care about function vs comsetics but a hole dug Maxis avenue dragged tunnel would allow connection. Then again, those do look more real then Maxis' tunnel style.

Also, I noticed a lot of you guys tried various ways to connect your RHW's to the end of the map, but unless you want full on car commute RHW connection without loopholes and without substitution networks, you will need to see how in these 2 videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2g_mcR_iUU&feature=related
Then continue to this video below, because a publishing glitch suddenly ended the first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0w9RtNW_Ug&feature=fvsr

CasperVg

QuoteCaspervg, this almost is like a triple decker. I don't know if you care about function vs comsetics but a hole dug Maxis avenue dragged tunnel would allow connection. Then again, those do look more real then Maxis' tunnel style.

Well, in this case the functionality of the avenue tunnel wasn't a real issue, because traffic can still use the roundabout to get to the other side, but yeah, you are right, a hole dug Maxis tunnel would allow a proper connection.  ()stsfd()
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Jonathan

You could make that functional by using the starterless MIS ramps and also moving the bottom RHW-4 <> MIS Type A ramp backwards a bit.
Then you could fit the FLUPs in.

TJ1

Smalltown intersection, its nothing special. :)

itsacoaster

Quote from: Haljackey on May 15, 2010, 08:33:58 AM
Looks like you have room in a lot of your junctions to plop those three tile ground-raised transitions. In an ascetic thread like show us your intersections, it would definitely add a lot to your creations. The junctions themselves look pretty good regardless, however.
I believe they are four tile, and I did not realize how helpful the "starterless" ramps could be in this respect.  So I took your advice, got creative with the hole digger lots, and came up with this--reminiscent of a turbine!!

JoeST

Quote from: itsacoaster on May 16, 2010, 06:31:38 PM
  I believe they are four tile, and I did not realize how helpful the "starterless" ramps could be in this respect.  So I took your advice, got creative with the hole digger lots, and came up with this--reminiscent of a turbine!!

That is awesome!
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

McDuell

itsacoaster: Now that's a compact interchange! Some paths are a bit bumpy though, I don't think that my car would survive this  ;). There seems to be enough space to keep the terrain flat by using the normal ground-to-elevated transitions instead of the onslope pieces.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 15, 2010, 05:25:42 AM
Wow, how very ...rural of SPUIs, guys! Though I thought the point of a Single-Point "Urban" Interchange is to be more compact.  :D

Is this one compact enough?  ;)  It's basically the same setup as in the interchange guide. I just made use of the new OWR1 to connect the right turns with the avenue.

Quote from: Haljackey on May 14, 2010, 09:39:09 AM

Interesting take on the basketweave exchange. I like how you took advantage of the RHW-6S' new one tile width by putting a MIS right next to it. That makes it compact while still looking realistic.

That last pic is just insane.... Do you have a zoomed out version of it so we can see where everything connects?

Thank you for liking it and using my approach as an example in your multi-highway thread.  :)

You want a zoomed out version? Here you go (2217x1376 image)!  ;D

And another step (2655x1618 image).

As I said before, this has been done entirely with RHW 3.24 (I haven't it updated yet). It's a fictional concept, where two highways with a collector-distributor system cross each other. Both, the express and collectors have their own full interchange. Basically, it's a turbine built into a roundaobout interchange. The straight directions allow for changing from the express to the collector highways. In the east, the collectors and the center highway each split. And to round it all up, I threw in some connector stubs for later joining with the local traffic network. As always, I tried to minimize weaving, especially in the center highway. I just hope that this won't ever be built in real life.

Have fun, drive safely and don't take any wrong turns, you have been warned.  :D
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

Haljackey

Quote from: SeanSC4 on May 16, 2010, 09:36:51 AM
High Capacity TBone Interchange (I think)

I don't think that's a T-bone there. The three-way ground/elevated highway interchange resembles this a little more accurately.

To make the interchange more compact and contain less curves, I would suggest the use of a diagonal el-RHW 4. The highway heading westbound makes an insane amount of turns, and by elevating it and dragging it across the other routes would make it more direct. There are puzzle pieces that allow you to make a el-RHW-4 overpass RHW-4 and MIS networks diagonally in RHW 4.0.

Quote from: TJ1 on May 16, 2010, 04:40:59 PM
Smalltown intersection, its nothing special. :)

Not bad! Kind of reminds me of an intersection not too far from where I live. The ending road at a three-way intersection widens from two to three lanes to allow dedicated right and left turn lanes.

Quote from: itsacoaster on May 16, 2010, 06:31:38 PM

Looks better, but I have to agree with what McDuell stated. That's a steep grade, even for roller-coasters!
-Very nice use of FlexFly!

Quote from: McDuell on May 17, 2010, 05:36:16 AM

Is this one compact enough?  ;)  It's basically the same setup as in the interchange guide. I just made use of the new OWR1 to connect the right turns with the avenue.

Hmm... how ingenious! Nice use of OWR-1 to connect the MIS to the avenue! I was thinking about adding this to the interchange guide, but I try to make those with the least number of modds as possible to keep it simple.

QuoteThank you for liking it and using my approach as an example in your multi-highway thread.  :)

As I said before, this has been done entirely with RHW 3.24 (I haven't it updated yet). It's a fictional concept, where two highways with a collector-distributor system cross each other. Both, the express and collectors have their own full interchange. Basically, it's a turbine built into a roundaobout interchange. The straight directions allow for changing from the express to the collector highways. In the east, the collectors and the center highway each split. And to round it all up, I threw in some connector stubs for later joining with the local traffic network. As always, I tried to minimize weaving, especially in the center highway. I just hope that this won't ever be built in real life.

Wow, that is just crazy! Although I love what you did there in the centre of the interchange. All those MIS/elevated MIS twists and turns is just something else. Sorta looks like a spider's web. The zoom out is just epic.

SeanSC4

Quote from: Haljackey on May 17, 2010, 08:21:59 AM
I don't think that's a T-bone there. The three-way ground/elevated highway interchange resembles this a little more accurately.

To make the interchange more compact and contain less curves, I would suggest the use of a diagonal el-RHW 4. The highway heading westbound makes an insane amount of turns, and by elevating it and dragging it across the other routes would make it more direct. There are puzzle pieces that allow you to make a el-RHW-4 overpass RHW-4 and MIS networks diagonally in RHW 4.0.
Well I was trying to maintain the look of the T-Bone diagram shown in RHW Interchange Guide while using RHW-4 and no MIS lanes. The size of RHW-4 curves necessitated a little massaging of the overall design.

Paul 999

Some intersection from my little city. This road can be upgrade to a highway.

Thanks to the NAM :)

fafalone

I'm really digging the diagonal puzzle pieces and filler pieces. My interchanges still suck, but I'm able to suckify them in much more interesting ways.

Not exactly the easiest to use things in the world; these took hours. I suppose things will go quicker in time, if the reverting doesn't make me wipe the game off my disk first.

SeanSC4

I hear you on the diagonal pieces. I'm loving the new filler pieces however. Building interchanges is still taking me ages though.

itsacoaster

Quote from: Haljackey on May 17, 2010, 08:21:59 AM
Looks better, but I have to agree with what McDuell stated. That's a steep grade, even for roller-coasters!
-Very nice use of FlexFly!

Quote from: McDuell on May 17, 2010, 05:36:16 AM
itsacoaster: Now that's a compact interchange! Some paths are a bit bumpy though, I don't think that my car would survive this  ;). There seems to be enough space to keep the terrain flat by using the normal ground-to-elevated transitions instead of the onslope pieces.
Quote from: JoeST on May 17, 2010, 01:53:06 AM
That is awesome!

Thanks for the comments everyone.  Unfortunately this interchange is pretty much set in stone the way it is... when I tried to delete a piece it bombed the whole thing. X_X But I am pretty happy with it for a first attempt--although I will slowly get better at this.  I will try to make an even higher capacity interchange on my next try.  Of course I'll share the results here.

emgmod

Quote from: Paul 999 on May 17, 2010, 10:39:57 AM

-snip-

Thanks to the NAM :)
That's a really good way of showing how to upgrade a highway. I'll try that sometime.

McDuell

Paul 999: Nice use of the different NWM pieces. I also like the concept of the upgradeable highway.

fafalone: Your interchanges do not suck at all. You actually show some good RHW skills.
Are those two interchanges directly connected? It seems to me (by looking at the ALS) that the highway going north in the first picture is the same as the one in the second image.

New pics from me:

A (very compact) mix of stack and windmill elements. This one currently is one of my most compact full 4-way interchanges I managed to build.

I also did some interchanges with two highways running parallel to each other. To the left is a version with RHW 3.24; the right picture shows what is possible now with the RHW 4.04.

----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

Ryan B.

Wow.  That stack / windmill is just great.  I may copy & use that in some of my creations.

Haljackey

Quote from: Paul 999 on May 17, 2010, 10:39:57 AM

Wow, awesome! I like the use of the ave-2 there and the room you left for highway expansion. Very realistic!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: fafalone on May 17, 2010, 12:04:12 PM
I'm really digging the diagonal puzzle pieces and filler pieces. My interchanges still suck, but I'm able to suckify them in much more interesting ways.

Hey, you're getting better. Practice makes perfect. The RHW mod requires a lot of trial and error in order to "tame" it.

Your junctions are good, but I have to question the ramp that turns 540 degrees before reaching the other RHW in your last pic. If only you built the junction one extra tile away from the edge of the city you could just build a simple flyover like your other connection. :P

Quote from: McDuell on May 20, 2010, 05:31:22 AM
A (very compact) mix of stack and windmill elements. This one currently is one of my most compact full 4-way interchanges I managed to build.

Geesh, that windmill thing is tight! What's more is despite it's compactness, you still somehow implemented smooth curves! Nice job!  :thumbsup:

As for those other junctions, they're crazy. Although that may be because I've never seen a parallel full highway junction in RL.