• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

io_bg

It's pretty cool I think! I remember playing with similar concept time ago (with embanked RHW) but never finished it $%Grinno$%
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

smileymk

Hi all, time we moved away from highways to something a little more surface-street based.
These interchanges I'm about to show you are completely mad, but could be used to add a little spice to those MDs or CJs.
They all stem from this: the magic roundabout, made by putting 4 road roundabouts together:

That's nice and all, but what if traffic is too heavy for it?
Then it's time to expand to a Double Magic Roundabout.
You can opt to stick two magic roundabouts together like this:

Or add a second layer to it, like this:

I told you they were mad!

Realistic Cities for Dummies
Step-by-step tutorials on every single aspect of realistic city-building.

FacebookYouTube

fafalone

I've just started seriously using the RHW. I built this crazy interchange system in/around my massive airport, since many of the airports I've been to do have separate offramps to arrivals, departures, short and long term parking, etc. Click images for full size.

A nearby trumpet half cloverleaf (thanks emgmod) interchange:

emgmod

I do believe that last interchange is a half clover interchange.
As for the double magic roundabout, we can easily tell when roundabouts will just confuse people.

smileymk

Quote from: emgmod on February 27, 2010, 10:46:30 PM
As for the double magic roundabout, we can easily tell when roundabouts will just confuse people.

You were the one who suggested it!
It probably is confusing, but it could be efficient too. Look at the magic roundabouts in Swindon and Hemel Hempstead (both in England), for instance.

Realistic Cities for Dummies
Step-by-step tutorials on every single aspect of realistic city-building.

FacebookYouTube

Haljackey

Yep, that's a half-cloverleaf.  Not the best 3-way junction due to the amount of land it consumes and the weaving that occurs.
-However, they can easily be easily upgraded to a 4-way junction by extending the route that ends farther, making them useful for expanding areas.

Here's my example of a simple trumpet interchange.  It is normally better suited for 3-way junctions.  Click the RHW interchange guide link my signature to see how to build it and more complex trumpet interchanges.

Oh, and those roundabouts are making me nauseous   ()sick()   lol.

cwhtly

Quote from: zakuten on February 21, 2010, 11:04:38 AM
@cwhtly-- I know they're not considered stylish, but for a full frontage-road system, mightn't it be best to use Maxis highways with their parallel ramps to road, so as to not break the usability with those small sections of RHW2 becoming RHW-4...

zakuten:

Are you referring to the frontage roads where they near the intersection with the avenue?  Those are actually transitions from RHW4 frontage implementations to one-way roads (along with the u-turns) unless I'm missing something, and I made these transitions in order to implement proper lighted intersections with the avenue.  I've contemplated back and forth on whether to use one-way roads or RHW4 for the frontage roads, but currently have settled on RHW4 since the MIS ramps connect to RHW's, and many of the frontage roads in my area have a speed limit of 45 MPH or more.  I'm ok with the transition to one-way roads for now, as the traffic should have to slow down as it approaches the intersections anyway.

Thanks for your comments!

zakuten

Ah, I'd figured you'd meant to make 2-way frontage roads, nevermind~
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

MandelSoft

Showing off Imaginia widest stretch of motorway: A40/C42 Eastern Guilliano Freeway:

From top to bottom:
Interchange 6 (A4/C75): Schelling-East
Intersection 5: Guilliano East Avenue
Exit 4 (N8): Guilliano City Center

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Nice Maarten!  Those acceleration/deceleration lanes are looking fantastic!

Now its time to put some traffic on that wide road.   :P

Ryan B.

I really, really dig those accel / decel lanes.  Can't wait to see what they look like with US textures!

fafalone

More RHW x RHW interchange madness. I'm anxiously awaiting the next version in hopes that better interchanges can be created, especially flexfly.

Click for full size.

j-dub

Ah! Seeing all you guys highways is driving me crazy! You do know the current RHW allows full function car traffic connection for 4, 6s, 6c, and 8 right? You don't need to use loop connections, or even the Maxis highways . Please refer to my last post in the NAM video tutorials section of the forum.

Fafalone, out of what you showed us, I like  the airport junction the best, there will be more curved ramp options in the future, but even then, your last one will need more room for that.

Tarkus

A couple pics of my latest creation . . .

And after a little residential development in the vicinity:

There's 4 new features hiding in those pics . . . one is really well disguised.

-Alex

Haljackey

Really?  Flyovers for a 2-lane road?  :P

I count 3 new features myself
-New textures (double line RHW-2)
-RHW-2 smooth curve (90 degree)
-El-MIS smooth cure (flexfly)

If there's 4 features there, I guess I'm missing one.   $%Grinno$%

fafalone

The first ground tile of the MIS to EMIS transition ramp. In the current version you can't build an EMIS over it.

Also, diag to ortho MIS split.

metarvo

Do I see a Road-MIS split?  That would make five new features, wouldn't it?  Maybe it's a bonus.  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

Hehe . . . I hadn't included the textures and had actually forgotten about the EMIS going over the MIS at the base of that Ground-to-Elevated transition . . . so really, we're at 6 features here.

Quote from: metarvo on March 07, 2010, 06:04:46 AM
Do I see a Road-MIS split?  That would make five new features, wouldn't it?  Maybe it's a bonus.  :)

Nope, that's actually just the RHW-2/Dual MIS Splitter that's been there since Version 2.0, and it's connected right into to a Road/RHW-2 transition.  It looks like there's a Road coming right out of it probably because the Road/RHW-2 transition blends better with the new textures.

So there's one left . . . and it's very, very well disguised. ;)

-Alex 

dragonshardz

The FlexFLY ramp over the entrance ramp in a position where EMIS normally can't go?

fafalone

Well, the EMIS can go over in that position, but it can't transition to non-orthogonal on the next tile. Is that it? Driving me crazy :)