• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

LOL, thats huge!  It takes up nearly a whole city tile!   :P

I find that amazing!  Awesome work, caspervg!

Best,
-Haljackey

mightygoose

Quote from: caspervg on April 16, 2008, 09:36:21 AM

This would be the interchange schematicly (the last one)

Kurumi's Field Guide to Interchanges

actually no you have a trumpet interchange there my friend not the last one their as you said

schematically this one

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

MandelSoft

It's definitly a trumpet interchange, caspervg. Beside that, it's huge! :o
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

dragonshardz

I think it's a small tile he's using. Anything else would mean that it would be huge beyond all sanity.

j-dub

Heres something you probably won't be able to do, notice the RHW signalized intersection, the only issue here is theres no piece for converting one lane to two, which I did at first with just the regular mis to avenue, but could not stand how the ramps had the pink brick zone textures, so I had to switch to two lanes, it makes it look like turning lanes anyway. Believe me if anyone wanted to replicate this, it is possible for everyone who has the current version right now, just extremely complicated. I challenge anyone to replicate the split avenue intersection part, I'll give you a hint, you can draw it and its not limited to RHW.  :thumbsup:

Photo hyperlinked to host

Haljackey

Here is my first pic using the new RHW texture:

Please click for a full resolution photo (1920x1200)

More to come!  A BIG thanks to SA for the new textures!

Best,
-Haljackey

Ryan B.

Okay, folks - I present the "Pominville Uber-Super Expressway":

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/2018/pominvillesuperhighwayji0.jpg

*hands everyone a drool cup*

pilotdaryl

Drool cup?  Thanks for it, burgsabre  :shocked2:

JoeST

*resurrected*

wow thats quite big :p

thanks for sharing burgsaber

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

FrankU

Where the (beeeeeeep!) will you find the cars to fill this monstrum?

Earth quake

Here is my first interchange with RHW:

FrankU

That is a very nice interchange, but you might need some under bridge walls. The rock texture is not very realistic. I always fight with this problem but have not found a real versatile solution.
But maybe someone has the ultimate answer?

rooker1

burgsabre87, you owe me a new keyboard.  I needed two droll cups!!
Robin  &apls
Call me Robin, please.

Haljackey

burgsabre87: Wow, that thing is huge!  A few comments:
-The roads are very spaced out.  I think it would look a little better if you either had a median or put the centre RHW side-by-side.
-Just before all the Big Dig tunnels, you have extremely tight 180 degree turns.  It would look much better if you curved this thing out.  Truck rollovers would be a everyday occurrence on this ramp!
-Using the Big Dig lots takes the UDI aspect away from this monster.  I am sure you know that, but wouldn't you like to drive through this huge thing?  I know I would!   ;)
-At many parts in the interchange, you have two roads branch out at the same tile.  You clearly have room there to have one road connect at one point, and the other where it currently is.  (Just before the four Big Dig entrances/exits on the outlaying roads)
-And one thing that has always puzzled me.  In your two avenue underpasses at the top/bottom of the image, what are the one-way roads beside them used for?  I have seen them in a lot of interchanges, but I still haven't figured out its purpose.

Anyways, overall it is really cool.  That centre section made me drool, thanks for the cup!

Earth quake:  A very interesting use of the MIS ramps!  I like how they curve away and intersect the parallel roads, and not the perpendicular one.  I've never seen anything like that before, well done!   :P

Nice work guys!

EDIT:  While I am here allow me to show off my first Parclo Interchange using the Multi-RHW setup. 

Please click for a full resolution photo (1920x1200)

That was a pain to make.  Once the surrounding area develops it will get quite a lot of usage!

Also, the MIS/OWR transitions will be fixed in version 21, and hopefully those weird textures by the ramps will be fixed too!

Best,
-Haljackey

Tarkus

Quote from: Haljackey on April 24, 2008, 11:11:37 AM
hopefully those weird textures by the ramps will be fixed too!

That issue will actually be fixed with Version 20a. ;)

burgsabre87, Earth quake and Haljackey, nice job guys!  Those are some nice interchanges! :thumbsup:

-Alex (Tarkus)

Swamper77

Quote from: Haljackey on April 24, 2008, 11:11:37 AM
-And one thing that has always puzzled me.  In your two avenue underpasses at the top/bottom of the image, what are the one-way roads beside them used for?  I have seen them in a lot of interchanges, but I still haven't figured out its purpose.

Those are for turning around without having to join the traffic on the avenues. I think they are "Texas U-Turns".

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Masochist

Quote from: Swamper77 on April 24, 2008, 12:19:27 PM
Those are for turning around without having to join the traffic on the avenues. I think they are "Texas U-Turns".

-Swamper

Yes, they are very common here, especially when you have frontage roads along freeways.  They're usually better suited when those frontage roads have businesses along them (as burgsabre87 has zoned for); the u-turns are so that you can easily get to those businesses (usually restaurants or hotels) without having to wait for the traffic lights at the intersection...very handy, indeed!
(Under Construction)

BigSlark

Yep, the old MSHD learned how to design those from the TxDOT in the early 90's. So far they've only shown up on one stretch of I-55 in Jackson, Mississippi. They're great fun to drive! :D

Cheers,
Kevin

Haljackey

Quote from: Swamper77 on April 24, 2008, 12:19:27 PM
I think they are "Texas U-Turns".

-Swamper

Quote from: Masochist on April 24, 2008, 12:32:08 PM
Yes, they are very common here, especially when you have frontage roads along freeways.

Ah, that's it!  U-turns for frontage roads.  That makes sense now!
-See, frontage roads are not used here (Ontario, Canada), so that's why I've never seen a configuration like the underpass in burgsabre87's photo. 
-Initially, I thought they were u-turns for the ramps, but then I thought to myself "why would you need a u-turn for a highway?"  That's why I asked the question.  You learn something new every day.

Best,
-Haljackey

Ryan B.

Haljackey:  Thanks for the questions & comments!  I haven't BATed the signs yet that you can see; but all of your spacing concerns are because I'm trying to get more "bang for my city tile".  I suppose my above example is one of 'extreme compaction'.

Now, my response to your more detailed 'points':

1)  I know it's not signed yet, but the centre 'managed' lanes will not allow trucks to exit on those ramps for that exact reason.  Those ramps were constructed that way due to space constraints.  I'm definitely open to suggestions on how to improve that aspect of it.

2)  Big Dig systems may ruin the UDI-age, but without the Big Dig, how would I be able to construct the five-level stack interchange you see there?

3)  I thought of some of the stack interchanges on Houston's freeway system (HoustonFreeways) and decided to go for the 'symmetrical' route.

4)  Several Devotees have answered the question regarding the frontage road turnaround, AKA "Texas U-Turns".

Look for more coming from me very soon - including a mega-stack interchange between two of these uber-expressways!  ;)