• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

I was, again, stumblin' upon this thing while browsing north american highways on google maps (what am I doing with my life??  $%Grinno$%) and I couldn't resist to try it out on SC4.

So here's my first shot at it. There's still a branch missing (the one from bottom to left), but I don't know how to fit it in there. Anyhow, it's functional without it, my sims just have to wait for the traffic light.

Haljackey

Fantastic recreation!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-----

This thread does intersections too - here's a crazy roundabout intersection I made

Click images for full size.

PaPa-J

Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Tarkus

This might be the first one of these I've seen done in SC4 . . . it's an "Offset SPUI", in which the intersection between the ramps and the surface street is set off to the side of the freeway (instead of directly over it), and the ramps in one direction actually fly over the freeway.  Here is an actual RL one in Aurora, Colorado, between Interstate 225 and Alameda Avenue.

Had to add some new code to allow the FLEXFly B1 and B2 to do that over an RHW-6C, and still need to make some additions on the surface/ramp end to add FTL support.  There's probably some other refinements I could do as well, though I'd say this is a satisfactory proof-of-concept.

Also, since this whole big thing is all FLEX and draggable components . . . might even be able to make a QCX out of it. ;D

-Alex

Wiimeiser

Well, something needs to go at the end of the tab ring, might as well be this...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

dyoungyn

Alex,

That is different.  I can definitely see the potential.  May need some arrows to tell drivers what way to go.  I agree pretty simple to figure out, but that is the problem.  The more simple it looks, the more difficult it could add to drivers. 

Wiimeiser

This needs work. A lot of work. And about 38 new pieces that aren't in the public NAM yet.

dyoungyn

Than you so much to Alex (Tarkus) for showing us how to do this.  Also, thank you to the entire NAM team for even making this possible. 

Wanted to snapshot this before development kicked in.  Am going through widening my Downtown area freeways and have been waiting since SC4 inception to be able to pull this off.  This interchange replaced one I did many years ago with NAM 33 and basically made it an eye candy that leads into a AVE traffic light.  This new improved way blended in seamlessly to the same intersection.  Thank you all so much again &hlp &hlp &hlp &hlp &hlp &hlp &hlp  Love the way I was able to run Oneway roads underneath that kept the block system.  Finally, this is as compact as one can get with wider networks.  Thank you so much again.

Wiimeiser

That should be a QC Xpress. If it could be more easily replicated it would be very useful.

dyoungyn

I agree, however, I do like the flexibility of extending the ramps and such in downtown areas to go over roads and avenues.  I have gotten better at this and utilizing the true intent of the RHW Flex pieces.   

Wiimeiser

Still not finished, I can think of some improvements, but here's something:

Wiimeiser

Well, it's no exaggeration to say this is the best I can do with stack interchanges:

Haljackey

New 4-way interchange

Click images for full size

Kitsune

.. the great thing is that map is so huge that these large interchanges dont look out of place.
~ NAM Team Member

Seaman

Lately, I was casually driving down the I-5 (on google maps :D), when I saw this interchange in Portland:

"That's a nice little interchange", I thought and wondered how to recreate it in SC4. And after I found a spot in my region where I could place it, it looked a little bit naked. And since christmas is around the corner I thought I give you the treat to recreate the surrounding neighborhood as well :). So here it is:

Actually, there's a nice tram running down the alley parallel to the I-5. And since the NAM-tools are all there in SC4, I may include it at some point making the recreation even more accurate. By the way, this is the first time, I realize how accurate you can recreate a city like Portland. I looked at the hospital on google maps (the one at the bottom left) and realized: "hey, I have something like that in my plugin folder... and the 2-storey parking garage as well... and the parking textures..." and so on and so forth... weird. The city builds itself if you don't have to plan by yourself but copy it from aerial pictures... ;)

bladeberkman

Nice re-creation!  &apls Now it's your turn to do a tutorial on those grade-separated FA ramps. :P Seriously though, anyone know a good tutorial for getting smooth FA slopes?  &Thk/(

Seaman

Quote from: bladeberkman on December 23, 2018, 09:43:25 AM
Seriously though, anyone know a good tutorial for getting smooth FA slopes?  &Thk/(

Haha... you don't want to look at them more closely. I'm just abusing the fact, that with these ramps, the FA-part ignores slopes. So it's really just placing the the pieces next to the slope and you get a functional and somewhat good looking connection:

I really don't have a clue how to easily do a good slope work for longer sections of FA parts.

Quote from: bladeberkman on December 23, 2018, 09:43:25 AM
Now it's your turn to do a tutorial on those grade-separated FA ramps.

I am thinking of updating Haljackey's interchange guide. Most of his pictures went down and with the improvemts of the latest NAM technology, some of the layouts can be improved... but I have to get ill or loose my job to find enough time for that :D

Haljackey

Christmas special: UDI Tour of my latest 4-way interchange.

This is #18 if you can believe it!

http://www.youtube.com/v/y5ouIntD-AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ouIntD-AM

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Gredelj

Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate!
These intersections and overpasses are finished just in time to take on holiday traffic craze.