• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your . . . . current projects

Started by keithsed, February 08, 2007, 07:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatron

Ah OK.
Thats a town I'm currently working on for my CJ:

Haljackey

Very nice Ryan B. and riiga!

Quote from: Flatron on April 10, 2012, 12:48:11 AM
I don't know what it is like in the US, but I've never seen a highwaysign indicating north, west, east or south, because nobody has a compass in his brain so it's better to indicate major cities and towns, I think.

Around here directions are indicated when you enter a highway from an interchanging road.  For a east-west highway, signs will tell you which ramp heads to the eastbound lanes and which heads to the westbound lanes. There are also a few recurrence markers on the highway itself indicating the direction you are traveling. I think it's similar in the US.

Ramona Brie

@riiga: Have you considered making that an overhang lot (1x1)?

FrankU

Quote from: Haljackey on April 10, 2012, 08:42:41 AM
Very nice Ryan B. and riiga!

Quote from: Flatron on April 10, 2012, 12:48:11 AM
I don't know what it is like in the US, but I've never seen a highwaysign indicating north, west, east or south, because nobody has a compass in his brain so it's better to indicate major cities and towns, I think.

Around here directions are indicated when you enter a highway from an interchanging road.  For a east-west highway, signs will tell you which ramp heads to the eastbound lanes and which heads to the westbound lanes. There are also a few recurrence markers on the highway itself indicating the direction you are traveling. I think it's similar in the US.

Yes, that might be applicable in a SC-based orthogonally designed country like the US or (apparently) Canada, but in Europe, which is basically historically designed by people without compasses or bulldozers (so they had to go around hills instead of through), all highways and roads go all possible directions. So nobody knows if a road is east-west, north-south or anything in between.

riiga

Quote from: Tracker on April 10, 2012, 09:13:34 PM
@riiga: Have you considered making that an overhang lot (1x1)?
Yes, and perhaps a puzzle piece as well...  ::)

FrankU

Quote from: Risu on April 08, 2012, 05:16:50 AM
Quote from: Frank 8U
This is how the region looks now.

One of the main goals is also to break the grid, play with it and use it for my own purposes. I hope there will be some interesting developments.

I'm starting to adopt your method, Frank 8U. All's I hafta do is learn how to quit hesitating from demolishing & altering road networks. I gotta train myself not to think everything is set in stone and can't be changed once established. Otherwise I'll forever be stumped on where to start.

Hi Risu,

Frank 8U? Who's that? It's me! FrankU.
Anyway: after I had added some more in this region the Prop Pox hit it and that disappointed me so much that I stopped building on it. The idea still appeals to me though. I just don't know what to do. Prop Pox has hit all my regions after some serious development. It just is no fun, you know? Working hard on details, nice parks, great skyscrapers and dirty seapots and then suddenly.... empty asphalt, boring meadows, lonely dirt.....
So now I am into lotting. And I decided to develop only medium city tiles, because Prop Pox is less probable.

Bipin

Norther American suburbs, my latest BAT/lot project:

They are available for download on the STEX if anyone wants them.

Resized pic. - Robin

jmyers2043

Quote from: Bipin on April 11, 2012, 04:23:43 AM
Norther American suburbs, my latest BAT/lot project:

Interesting. Where is you bat thread?

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

WC_EEND

those look rather excellent, downloading now.
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

sc-4

This a city i'm actually trying to rebuild :

Click if you want HD

Call me Ludo

Terring7

Inspired by a Le Corbusier's idea about the planning of the railroads for a city...

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

noahclem

It's a nice and efficient design--and with symmetry  &apls I wonder how much those thick areas of railroad will separate neighborhoods and cause people to not want to live near them. Rails and highways are my favorite part of SimCity but real-life people don't seam to enjoy them near anything they do besides using them. Anyway, how has it worked for you with the game? And great to hear from you again  ;D

mike3775

Quote from: noahclem on July 17, 2012, 01:06:57 PM
It's a nice and efficient design--and with symmetry  &apls I wonder how much those thick areas of railroad will separate neighborhoods and cause people to not want to live near them. Rails and highways are my favorite part of SimCity but real-life people don't seam to enjoy them near anything they do besides using them. Anyway, how has it worked for you with the game? And great to hear from you again  ;D

Believe it or not, people tend to tune out the noise generated by rails and highways when they live near them.  I used to have an apartment that was literally right off the busiest rail line in my town(a train would come by every 10-15 minutes for 20 hours a day, and all that separated me from the rail line was a 5 ft chain link fence, hop the fence I was on railroad property).  The first week I lived there, I heard every single train that came through, and considered moving once the lease was up, but after a week, it got to the point I no longer heard the trains, unless I was outside.  Even when my kids were babies, at first they would wake up every time a train came through, but eventually they to slept through them as well.

Interesting design Terring, be interesting to see a shot of the city in 25 game years.

Terring7

The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

mike3775

Looking good terring.  Be interesting to see the city on a hundred years to see if the traffic is not bad

kbieniu7

Horribly horrible...  :D But you've decided to plant trees, so it seems to be quite livable  :D
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Terring7

All: Thank you very much for your comments, your ideas and your complains as well ;D

noahclem: We already have the technology to make clean and quiet engines for trains and car, making highways and railroads more suitable to live. Surround them with trees and your sleep will never disturbed :thumbsup:

mike3775: The power of rote I guess ::)

kbieniu7: So I guess this...

... and this...

... are not horribly horrible, right? ;)

10 years later. As you can see, many Sims are still using the car. But still traffic jam is very low thanks to the trains and the buses. For now we have only low density homes. Apartment buildings are coming soon...

The Choice is Ours
---

Flatron

Le Corbusier's ideas of city-planning were the worst ever and don't function at all. :thumbsdown: The car-friendly city is outdated and belongs to history. you should build more bike- and pedestrian-friendly towns and cities, with mixed-use neighbourhoods.
The venus project by the way is just a way of avoiding the consequences of global warming: "oops, we killed our planet..... let's get another one"

Terring7

I like some of Le Corbusier's ideas but a car-based city is a totally nightmare. This project is about building a railroad-based city, this is why I didn't include bicycle paths. As about the Venus project, is not about abandoning Earth but redesigning our global culture and changing our values :)
The Choice is Ours
---

Evillions8

Interesting concept Terring7!

Here is my current project:

I am currently building a Middle Eastern town without too much usage of the typical Middle Eastern BATs (Frogface's MEB series).  Feel free to comment or critique!  :)