• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

High Definition Props and Textures - Discussion thread

Started by mightygoose, March 28, 2009, 01:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

Quote from: buddybud on March 30, 2009, 07:22:46 PM
a little bit more info. It seems that to make a proper working base texture you have to start with a 256x256 png and bring it into the eagraphic tool then save it as a 24 bit fsh.

Thanks a lot Buddybud and mightygoose ¡¡¡

Zoom 5

Zoom 6

Guys, this is a really great step forward.... Now, if we could have HRes props as well  ::)  --> this opened a new discussion here:  High Definition Props - a revolutionary discovery
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

wouanagaine

This discussion started in the High Definition Textures - a revolutionary discovery...  thread

Quote from: jeronij on March 31, 2009, 09:28:34 AM

Guys, this is a really great step forward.... Now, if we could have HRes props as well  ::)

Why not render a model with double size, then shrink its vertices with Reader ? I can do a program for that if it is ok. But beware of the amount of RAM needed in game after that

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

JoeST

a double sized prop would be 8 times the filesize?

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Jonathan

Or couldn't a BAT script that takes a better quality render be made?

Jeronij, that is the best picture to compare the two textures, the difference is astounding.!

Jonathan

wouanagaine

it will depends if the double sized prop will generate more FSH or not
Of course it can be smaller if as HD texture are only for zoom 5/6 the double sized prop can be done for only zoom 5/6, but this will double the render time, and will make the shrinking&merging quite cumbersome to code

Edit while Jonathan wrote:
Of course it could be better if the BAT script can be edited to render at zoom 6 instead of zoom 5

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

buddybud

One thing to consider is that the whole of the highway network uses 256x256 textures..What kind of impact does that have. There is obviously some but i think with the advatage of 5+ years of computer performance improvement this could be used in at least some fashion. Just a thought :P

Bud

Jonathan

A little OT,
if you rendered a prop once as the correct size (to get the right size LOD)
Then doubled it's size, and rerendered. Then applied the textures from the second render to the first render. Would the prop have more detail?

Jonathan

Diggis

I doubt it, because it would cut them up differently.  You might be able to manually edit the originals and reinsert them, but not sure if that would work either.

buddybud

Im 100% certain they will work on 3ds props because i have experimented with props made out of the highway network puzzle pieces, and besides the color shift they worked as per usual....also i replaced a rotation in a rock plop mod with a high rez at the beginning of this and got it to work. Thats how i figured out the alpha...so it works with flora if you want to hand craft each rotation and replace it. actually i am unsure of the results for the 256x256...sorry

i have no examples of this at the moment :P

edit
Here's where i replaced the fsh with the eagraph tool...the texture for this is 128x256 but seems to only use one half of the canvas. And it i did a crappy job at the texture :P

Bud

jeronij

Good brainstorm going on here  :thumbsup: ¡¡¡ You are putting some excellent ideas on the table. Perhaps HRes Props should be discussed in a separated thread, so we dont mix things here  ::)  ;)

Btw,for existing props,  I think a solution would be to extract the small 128x128 fsh's, make them 256x256 with the EA tool and export them to be edited in photoshop to give them more definition, import and save them back with the EA tool, and insert them into the dat to replace the small texures... well not sure if is the easiest solution though (4 times per prop)  ::) $%Grinno$%
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Jonathan

Quote from: jeronij on March 31, 2009, 12:12:49 PM
Good brainstorm going on here  :thumbsup: ¡¡¡ You are putting some excellent ideas on the table. Perhaps HRes Props should be discussed in a separated thread, so we dont mix things here  ::)  ;)
Where would be a good place? As I experimented with my idea, and it seems as long as the prop doesn't get bigger than one texture, if you do what my idea is then you can notice the difference in quality very easily: Image linkie (Note my rubbish BATing skills, Link because don't want to clutter up this awesome thread ;) )

jeronij

I think this is a good place to move the discussion ;)

Excellent test  Jonathan  :thumbsup: . Perfect for new props 

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

mightygoose

the results in a streetside mod would be beautiful as the increased resolution allows you to add more details to the overlays... smoother curves and better  curbs...crosswalk textures could look pretty hot now...

EDIT_ and texture based road top bustops.... *drools*
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

JoeST

dont make me dr....too late *gets a cloth for the keyboard*

crazy people ahoy :D

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

cogeo

Oh, this is probably the right place to post (I was considering opening a new thread).  :)

Triggered by the " High Definition Textures - a revolutionary discovery... " thread posted recently, I was wondering if it was possible to apply a similar technique for BAT models. BATters have always been complaining about missing details in the models' textures. The problem with BAT lies within the low output resolution. No matter how good the "input" texture is, the low output resolution causes much of the detail to be lost.

For my tests I used a simple model we use in RTMT, the TfL Bus-Sign. The texture used for the render is this one (scaled-down for certain renders):

The shot below shows the results (sorry, the pic is >800px, so pls click on the thumbnail); the image is a .png, so no "lossy" compression or "artifacts" here - it looks excatly how it appears ingame. The back row shows the prop rendered with various texture resolutions; in the front there is the prop rendered using the new technique (requires special modelling and modding the S3D files). Take a look not only on the sign/logo, but on the post too.

EDIT: Pls view the image UNSCALED!!! (click on the image after it is downloaded from ImageShack)

I need to make some more tests before posting a tutorial, and maybe make a special tool too.

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions

mightygoose

Cogeo, are you just importing a .3ds file straight into the reader as a 3d prop and using a HD texture as the material, it is smart way of doing things :P
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

cogeo

Quote from: mightygoose on March 31, 2009, 02:45:35 PM
Cogeo, are you just importing a .3ds file straight into the reader as a 3d prop and using a HD texture as the material, it is smart way of doing things :P

Not at all, this method does not involve editing materials (this is done by BAT, as usual), it works completely differently.

It's already April 1st here now, but believe me I'm telling the truth!  :P

sithlrd98

&apls Another awesome find! That sign looks great Coego!

Jayson

jeronij

I was thinking about some updated walls and walkways sets... man, the possibilities are almost endless  ::)   $%Grinno$%  :thumbsup:

Mallorca My Mayor Diary