• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The residence of prussia's kings - building the historic Potsdam

Started by peterycristi, February 10, 2010, 05:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterycristi

hi folks,

just a little progress on the Alter Markt. two smal houses:

meanwhile i tried something completelly new, constructing a bridge. At the moment i'm not completelly sure, if i can do it functional, but here ist just what i have so far (one pice is a pilar and a arch 16x16m)...

hope you liked the today update!

edit: well, just a very fast modyfied modell, which will serve me perfect close to the Lang Brücke.

and a historical postcard, which shows the bridge and the emperors monument:

saludos

Peter
H I S T O R I S C H E S   B E R L I N

puresim

DebussyMan

They both look great, specially the statue  :o

The only comment I'd have is about the arches in the bridge, they are too narrow and look squashed, I think you should make them at least 1/3 longer.

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

j-dub

Bridge engineering, and transit functionality is hard work, especially for this game. If you can go the extra mile, that would be awesome, as it visually looks nice. If not, you can dl and modify the road top transit lots on either end of the bridge, to let traffic to go through. Since the bridge is in the making, this would be the perfect opportunity to model a diagonal one. Again, since  diagonal bridges can not be drawn over water, you can do road to subway to road past the bridge again, and there you go, but don't stop with your pretty looking buildings.

MTT9

Awesome work man, i look foward to use this beauties in my cities  ;D
About the bridge, maybe you can make it compatible with CAL canals, that would be really cool.
Saludos desde Argentina,
Matt
You can call me Matt

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

peterycristi

thanks a lot for all that kind words!

@debussy: You are definatelly right. But the form of the arches has a technical reason. I made the brindge piece as a functional one, so it needs to fit in a space of only 16 m length. So like this it will be hopefully just easy to mod the bridge. Any change of the length of the arches would complicate that a lot.

@j-dub: thanks for your info. I didn't rather understand it completelly  :D but it's good to know, that someone will help me, if the functional thing will not work. ;)

@puresim: thx!  ;D

@emmotic: gracias! hablando de las canales CAL... estoy creando un set de canales propio, el Stadtkanal de Potsdam. Ese tambien va a tener creo nueve o mas puentes historicos. Asi te puedes imaginar, que todavia tengo mucho trabajo ;). En la vista general del primer post en este thread lo puedes ver a la izquierda. Bueno, muchos saludos a Argentina. Si estoy por este rumbo un dia, voy a pasar  ;D.

@io_bg: thx :)

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

kimcar

&apls &apls Just awesome mate. That is gonna be a piece of art for sure.

DebussyMan

Quote from: peterycristi on February 22, 2010, 01:53:57 AM
thanks a lot for all that kind words!

@debussy: You are definatelly right. But the form of the arches has a technical reason. I made the brindge piece as a functional one, so it needs to fit in a space of only 16 m length. So like this it will be hopefully just easy to mod the bridge. Any change of the length of the arches would complicate that a lot.

I know what you mean, my solution (at least the one I intended) for the schlossbrücke I made was to divide it in 2 different pieces, one with the pillon and the lateral parts of the arch and one with only the medial part of the arch.

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

peterycristi

@JonM: yes, i could do it like that, but as i want to use the real maxis water in my Potsdam project, i want to do a functional bridge as possible. problem is, that Potsdam is on the river Havel, which had only in some very few parts embankments. Most of the shore was and is natural. So a functional bridge will fit my needs much better, than doing a canal set.
Anyway i like a lot that bridges you made! They are really fantastic, never saw them before. Don't you have your BAT-thread? Or didn't i just find it?

@debussy: you gave me really a hard homework! But after some trying, thats the best result i could get:

(low quality rendered)

this will also fix the problem i had with the starter pieces...

saludos

Peter

JonM

SimNation

You can make diagonal bridges if you make the bridge a overhang prop and make it for landbridge use that way you can just drag a diagonal road/street and the overhang bridge will over both sides of it and you just use plop water on either side.

Girafe

Master Peterycristi   :D

the bridge is awesome and the statue is amazing too

very nice work about these historical items

&apls &apls &apls
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

citymax

kimcar

peterycristi

thanks for all that kind words :).

this could maybe be usefull...

$%Grinno$%

saludos

Peter

strucka

Here is an idea:
How about you make these armies an animation like the walking people or the fire works and they would pop up every year at special date. =) That would be totally awesome.