• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sdragon3000

Quote from: z on March 09, 2009, 11:35:10 PM
Yes, it does.  I'm considering adding street lights as an option for RTMT stations, and so I need to know if that's something that people really want.

Thank you.  I think that would be a very cool feature.  I bet you'll get alot of requests for custom lighted stations, lol.  Can I put in my order now, please?    :thumbsup:

cogeo

Quote from: Sdragon3000 on March 09, 2009, 12:54:18 PM
I next got the Cogeo Semi transparent set.  They look very industrial-like, but, no lights.  I know, I keep looking for the "right" look for my city.

Hey, virtually ALL my models so far do have nightlighting (with the exception of some ones that shouldn't anyway, like fences). And of course, train/GLR shelter models couldn't be an exception in any case. The semitransparent models do have nightlights at the exterior, the roof, the revolving door and the platforms. Don't you see them? Are you sure you have installed the nightlighting update for BATs? Not to mention that the lots do have lampposts at the front and the parking areas at the back.

What exactly are you looking for? If you want the automata to be lit, just like the cars passing under streetlights, this is something different, and requires special modelling and modding. It's essentially making something like a lightcone, only it shouldn't have the shape of a cone, it should be like a sheet or plane, placed above the automata routes, to imitate a lighting effect. But afaik such models (ie illuminating automata) haven't been made yet. It's quite a challenge. Not that they are especially hard to make, but they must be carefully matched with BATs, and unfortunately they will be custom to models, ie they will almost certainly have to be redone for every new model. I hope someone will take the challenge and make them anyway.

Sdragon3000

Quote from: cogeo on March 11, 2009, 01:36:54 PM
Hey, virtually ALL my models so far do have nightlighting (with the exception of some ones that shouldn't anyway, like fences). And of course, train/GLR shelter models couldn't be an exception in any case. The semitransparent models do have nightlights at the exterior, the roof, the revolving door and the platforms. Don't you see them? Are you sure you have installed the nightlighting update for BATs? Not to mention that the lots do have lampposts at the front and the parking areas at the back.

What exactly are you looking for? If you want the automata to be lit, just like the cars passing under streetlights, this is something different, and requires special modelling and modding. It's essentially making something like a lightcone, only it shouldn't have the shape of a cone, it should be like a sheet or plane, placed above the automata routes, to imitate a lighting effect. But afaik such models (ie illuminating automata) haven't been made yet. It's quite a challenge. Not that they are especially hard to make, but they must be carefully matched with BATs, and unfortunately they will be custom to models, ie they will almost certainly have to be redone for every new model. I hope someone will take the challenge and make them anyway.

Hey....

Good to hear from you!   I am experimenting with new transportation now, and am using yours.  :)  I had to look closley, but I do see some lighting. I may have been tired or not looking at it right, so, I apologise, I did not meant to instult or say something negative.   :-[

I don't know how hard it is, as I am not a modder or batter, but I can imagine all the hard work that goes into all these add ons, etc, so thank you for all that!

I guess what I am looking for is a station (or set) that has INTERIOR lighting, or more lights.  There were some stops in Tacoma, WA, a few years ago, bus tranfers lots, I guess they where, and I was impressed by how much they were lit up...also, in Olympia, WA, the Main Transit center was like that too.  Anyways, Is that possible?  Or should I experiment with the lot program? 

Thanks again....

dragonshardz

You know, a roster of current projects and who is working on each project is a good idea....make it sticky and people can check it before they request something. You could even add in each request as it comes and whether it will be worked on, is being worked on, or is canceled.

nerdly_dood

Quote from: dragonshardz on March 11, 2009, 07:20:41 PM...You could even add in each request as it comes and whether it will be worked on, is being worked on, or is canceled.
...or is not possible due to constraints of the game, perhaps? Such as RHW showing up in region view...
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

dragonshardz

rusummer1

Is it possible to have curved Oo/Off one-way overpass pieces?
Check out my SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/russmass

allan_kuan1992

they were already curved I think. =O

- Allan Kuan

buddybud

Hey folks i have a question for you all....

I've been playing with making new elroad nam pieces that match the default system more closely....heres what i got so far....i essentially borrowed the walls from the highways and added a bit...also made an onslope piece. These are regular 3ds network models by the way.

heres the problem...when i rotate the view to look at the onslope piece i get this....

Any idea as to the cause....any help would be appreciated.

Bud

nerdly_dood

Those are looking great buddybud! Just add some support pillars and they'd be perfect!

That darkening there is a known bug, I don't think there's any way to fix it. &mmm
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

buddybud

thanks nerdly.....ya supports and shadow....agreed

I'll try using 3ds network props for the onslope piece....i can do that easily enough....now i won't go crazy looking for an unknown solution!!  &hlp.

Bud

Jonathan

There is a way of fixing this, I'm not sure on the details.
But I think it involves, using a different Resource Key number in the model's exemplar, and setting a different model for each rotation of the camera.

Then in some rotations the textures is lighter than the others, so it balances out.

Smoncrie developed this, and used it for the highway Onslope pieces, so take a look at those.

I'd use 3D network models (not props and the boxes generated by BAT, as much as possible on networks as there is more detail in the closest zoom on them, as they don't go all pixelated.

Jonathan

buddybud

thanks warrior...i saw that on the onslope highway pieces...i can just study those...thanx for the info...and thanks for smoncrie paving the way.  :thumbsup:

Edit...oh goody resource key 2...i always wondered what that was for....i shall report back!

Bud

by the way the props i suggested would be 3ds props not bat props....they are identical in resolution......cheers.

Ryan B.

Buddybud . . . . . Now THAT's a highway overpass piece!

Nice work!

Tarkus

buddybud, those pieces look fantastic!  I like what you've done there.   :thumbsup:

-Alex

buddybud

thanks Tarkus !

just to illustrate the potential of 3ds props for warrior i'd like to show the same thing but with a combination of network props and network model.

the road in the above on slope piece is a network model as before...but now the structure for the on slope piece is a prop....as you can see the resolution is the same.....however...

you can see when we rotate it....it becomes brighter!!!!.....argh.

the prop is made using the rarely used "Network Model Resource Key"....info and an example can be found here. http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6956.0

Anyways...if anyone has knowledge of resource key 2 or how smoncrie did the highway pieces i would be happy (already messaged him).... or even just the location of the rul files for the on slope highway pieces.....any thing would help....

Cheers.

superhands

0x523ff000 
0x5a131000

are the auto tile base   

i think they are the id's for the onslope (just had a look at the controller) find the exemplar then that will give the id's of the model. not sure if it's t21?¿

hope this helps

looking good. is this a new project by any chance? :)

edit: reading the comments  'so a different autotile base is used for each rotation' well i'm not 100% sure at all &Thk/( which way this is done.

buddybud

thanks for the info bighead  :thumbsup:

new project no....just wanted something special for the challenge and had the idea bouncing around in my head for awhile!!!
but who knows....lol

Bud

Jonathan

No I don't think it is a different AutoTileBase for each rotation.
Because each rotation is actually a separate puzzle piece, so when you rotate the camera, it does not use the AutoTileBase from the RUL file, but if you rotate the puzzle piece before plopping then it does (Hopefully you understand my rubbish explaination)

When you make a BAT then there is a model for each rotation of the camera, (and zoom but that doesn't matter) So you need to make 4 models, identical is shape and size, but 4 textures some lighter than others. Then apply the lightest texture to the rotation with the darkest shadow problem and etc.

Then using the right Model Res Key you set each model(with different lighteness of texture) to each rotation.

I think that is what you wanted?

And for got to post before, the models look great :thumbsup:

Jonathan

mightygoose

so is there no elegant solution to this problem, or is there only this brute force fix???
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....