• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Threestooges and the BAT

Started by threestooges, January 14, 2008, 04:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Replies:
-Becca: The shadowing is partly from the road texture and partly from vertical pillars; and yes, extending the model beyond the LOD has the same effect as a regular building.

-Pat: The pics look great, and I've seen the rest in your MD (here). Good stuff.

-Jon: I added a pitch to the roof and fiddled with the bridge footings. I'll also give that window thing a shot on the next version of that building.

It has really been a while since I last posted here, but good news everyone. I have had the chance to remake the bridge models and I've handed them over to Jeronij to prep for their (hopefully) upload to the LEX. Updates on that front will come as soon as they are available, and hopefully I will have a few new things to post here too.
-Matt

Pat

Sweeet Matt Im looking forward to the Release of the new bridge!!!  I am also eagerly awaiting the other devolpment as well.......

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

So far, there is no new news regarding the bridge, but in the meantime, I have made "progress" on another project.

No, it's not an old pic. This is version 2. In the creation of the first one I came across a few things that made certain elements (making small adjustments, plans to nightlight the interior, etc) rather difficult. While it would have been possible to rework the old one, I believe this may be the more efficient route. It's also allowed for a simpler redesign, and it will now fit on a 3x3 lot (if things go the way I'm currently thinking). The process should go a bit quicker though. Take it easy and, as always, comments are always welcome.
-Matt

jeronij

The bridge will be released quite soon, dont worry about that  $%Grinno$% , the NAM team is on it  :thumbsup:

I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

threestooges

Excellent news. There is no hurry on it though of course. Take whatever time is needed. I want to make sure it's perfect before it goes out.

Pat

Matt Im happy that the bridge will be hitting the LEX near us soon!!!! On the new project do you have a name for the building yet?

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

-Pat: It should be on the LEX shortly. Since it's in the hands of the NAM team now, it would seem that it will be coming out when the next NAM update is ready which means (I've wanted to say this...yes I'm a nerd like that): it will be ready when it is ready. As far as the building goes, there is no planned name yet. Haven't given it a thought yet, but I'm not that good at naming things though, if you have any suggestions... at any rate, glad to see you stopping by again.

So as I was saying, the second version is going a bit quicker as the pic below will demonstrate. It's not much, just another progress pic, but comments again (as always) are very welcome.

JBSimio

It's coming along very nicely, Matt!  The proportions look a lot better this time around and it doesn't have that squat appearance anymore.  3x3 sounds like a better size to match up with other things too.  You may want to overlap and close up your interior corners... just to save headaches later when you're lighting.  But that's more of a "technical" pointer than anything to do with how it looks. 

I'm also glad to hear that the bridge is getting closer.  I can't wait to have a nice covered bridge again!  :thumbsup:  Hope things are well on the west coast... don't let it fall in the ocean before I get there, OK?  $%Grinno$%

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

threestooges

-JB: I'll shore them up when I start to finish it off. Right now, I'm working to figure out the shape first. Thanks for all of the advice you've given me recently, and I'll take whatever else you have.

Those that have been following this thread know that I have finished a covered road bridge. I thought about making a rail version, but as history has shown, old bridges like that (and the steam trains that would have used them) had a tendency to burst into flame... not a good thing. As a result, my next bridge will be for rail traffic. I had worked on this a ways back (it was my second BAT that I made outside of philippbo's tutorial) and it had made itself comfortable in the folder. I figured, since I seem to know what I'm doing now, I would give it another shot. It's modelled after a Howe Truss and is very interesting from a physics/engineering point of view.

As I understand, the train puts weight on the tracks, which puts weight on the roadbed. This is transferred to the vertical bars and is applied to the top, horizontal beams. It is then channeled into the angled beams and presses outward, forcing the bridge deeper into its footings.

I'm trying to decide if I want to limit it to a short span, or try to fabricate some sort of pillar for it. The pictures I've seen haven't shown very long spans, but what the heck, I'm making the bridge so... let me know what you think.
-Matt

RebaLynnTS

There is such a thing as being to realistic. These are for a game, and if you want to strech the laws of physics a little, I say .. do it.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

City Builder

As someone told me once, "Make Both"!  Make a shorter bridge and make one with pilings for larger expanses.  I'd use both as I love bridges and can't find nearly enough of them to appease my desire for bridges.  I often go out of my way to ensure that I have a bridge somewhere in my cities.  Looking nice so far.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!

Shadow Assassin

The key to breaking the laws of physics is to make sure the universe doesn't catch onto what you're trying to do.

If necessary, think 'pink elephants'.

Of course, the same thing can be applied to learning how to fly.

As an aside, though, that bridge looks great. I'd definitely use it.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

threestooges

Replies:
-Becca: Consider them stretched. I came up with what I think is a decent enough pillar to hold up the bridge when the laws (and bridge) would be getting close to the breaking point. Thanks for stopping by.

-City Builder: There will be pillars for this bridge. I just adjusted the pillar properties so they will only appear after 5-6 tiles or so, so you'll get 2 types from the file of 1. Some new developments follow below.

-Shadow Assassin: Sounds like something from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (working my way through it), but you know what the last guy who tried to fly from the roof of a 10 story building said as he passed by the second floor: "So far so good."

I've had the chance to expand on the bridge and get it into the game. As usual I'd love whatever feedback you have. It's a thick bridge by design, but I wonder if I made the beams too thick. Also, I think I messed up the pathing files (can't get a train to visually cross the bridge), but I think all I need to do is copy the files from a bridge that works so no worries there. The first two are basic bridge pics placed next to my covered bridge for comparison:

These second two are my attempt to put the bridge into a fitting environment:

Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. It's good to get the feedback, and good to know that there is interest in this besides my own. Take it easy.
-Matt

Pat

OOOOOOOOOH Matt my god you are true bridge master of the old!!!

Just dont go crazzy with details to much about realizm even though the one pic of the bridge over the valley is perfect!!! again if you need a testing let me know!!!

threestooges

Well now it has been a while since I've had the chance to post anything here. I would like to apologize for that, and also to anyone that pops in here expecting to see some more pictures. I have been in and out of the BAT, but most of it has been Reader work and that's not as much fun to show off as bridges over valleys. All of the various project have been proceeding nicely, albiet slowly. I'm still trying to decide on a good design for the Howe Truss pillars (or rather a good texture) it's looking like a column of rocks braced by wooden support beams right now.

At any rate, it may be a bit until I really get back into it. We have a trial brief due in two weeks, followed by a Moot Court competition on the same issues, then finals at the end of April. I will certainly be taking a few 'sanity breaks' here and there as a way to relax, and hopefully I will have some new things to show in the coming weeks. However, I hope you understand if not. Take it easy, and thanks to all who have commented so far.

-Pat: interesting graphic there. I will certainly have a need for someone to test this thing when it's near to being ready. You did a great job with the last one so I'll be interested to see what you do with this one. Also, If you have any suggestions for a new 'old' style, let me know. Always willing to seek out inspiration.

-Matt

Pat

Matt I sure will keep you notified if I find a wicked old style bridge...

Heblem

threestooges

Replies:
-Pat: Glad to hear it. Also, depending on available free time, I may have a building for you to tinker with in the LE.

-Heblem: Thanks.

As much as I should be working on my trial brief, and outlines, studying, etc. (yay law school) I can still use a study break every once in a while. I took some time to re-adjust the bridge model a bit. As the pic below shows, the structure has been taken in a bit. The piece on top of the pillar is still the same shape as the original (partly for comparison, and partly because I forgot to replace it). If I get some more time, I should be able to wrap it up in a few hours or so of work. I just have to find/make time for that work. Shouldn't be too bad... anyway, here's the pic.

Thanks again to everyone who has commented so far.
-Matt

FrankU

Beautiful bridge there!

I think a pillar every 5 or 6 tiles would be quite in the range of realism, somewhere between computer game, SciFi and historical correctness.
The laws of physics allow us to draw everything we want, so any brigde you make applies to the laws of physics..... ()what()

Anyway, a small comment: your in game pictures show the bridgfe lying directly on the soil. I think it would look much better if there was some kind of stone or concrete foundation.

Heblem

Looking at the covered road bridge, for to be honest I think that roof need some more details, it looks kinda flat, but anyway those are great bridges  :thumbsup: