• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BSC Functional, Upgradeable Seaports - Development

Started by RippleJet, May 21, 2008, 01:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Oooooooh Robin simply amazing Im just googling over here over so many wonderful ports of call...   &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

RippleJet

Quote from: HandsOn on May 27, 2008, 10:13:56 AM
And so they might be, albeit very, very uniform; must be Bridgestone's F1 tyres.

We talked Kimi Räikkönen into making those... ()stsfd()

Quote from: HandsOn on May 27, 2008, 10:13:56 AM
Which still begs the question: are this fantasmagoric harbours rail-enabled?

Some of them might be... and this one certainly is (from stage 5 and up)... ::)

HandsOn

Quote from: RippleJet on May 27, 2008, 12:35:36 PM
We talked Kimi Räikkönen into making those... ()stsfd()
Hah! Where was Kimi in Monaco???

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

RippleJet

Quote from: HandsOn on May 27, 2008, 12:43:41 PM

He... was... in a hurry to get away from there as Robin had an appointment with him... ::)

Now, lets see if we can spot him in this animation...

HandsOn

Yup, that must be him, in the static truck on the left..not going anywhere soon..

RippleJet

Quote from: HandsOn on May 27, 2008, 01:07:58 PM
Yup, that must be him, in the static truck on the left..not going anywhere soon..

:D
Watch him in Montreal 11 days from now... ::)

Quote from: FrankU on May 26, 2008, 02:23:57 AM
Maybe the best solution for the BSC friends on this site is to use the new products arriving here and take PEGs non-functional lots as additions to the ports.

There is one slight problem with that though...
Pegasus' non-functional Break Bulk Dock uses a cargo ship that's included in the functional Break Bulk Seaport.
Thus, the functional port is a dependency, unless you can live with a brown box occasionally docking at the port... $%Grinno$%

Alfred.Jones

Quote from: HandsOn on May 27, 2008, 12:43:41 PM

All I know is he was behind Lewis :P $%Grinno$%

Excellent ports Robin. You have done an amazing job :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

HandsOn

Quote from: Alfred.Jones on May 28, 2008, 03:44:45 AM
All I know is he was behind Lewis :P $%Grinno$%
Oh yeah, now I recall, some 8 places behind, and very much behind Sulti, too.. :P

Meanwhile' I'll ditto that about your ports - am already terraforming plenty of space in my cities for those beauties..  &apls

Edit: Isn't that ship included in the recently released Ship Pack by Pegasus?

FrankU

Quote from: RippleJet on May 28, 2008, 03:10:36 AM

There is one slight problem with that though...
Pegasus' non-functional Break Bulk Dock uses a cargo ship that's included in the functional Break Bulk Seaport.
Thus, the functional port is a dependency, unless you can live with a brown box occasionally docking at the port... $%Grinno$%

OK, I didn't see that, haven't checked everything exactly. Well, maybe the ship's model can be extracted from the file. Or maybe you use the seaport just as a dependency....
Anyway, his projects are so wonderful, it would be a pity not to use them.

And another thing: the ports I see here are really fantastic, though I think Rooker1's ports are a bit too crowded with cranes.

RippleJet

Quote from: HandsOn on May 28, 2008, 03:55:06 AM
Edit: Isn't that ship included in the recently released Ship Pack by Pegasus?

Obviously not. Read this:
http://simpeg.com/forum/index.php?topic=6151.msg132983#msg132983
Might be worth a suggestion to Pegasus to include it in an update to that prop pack though.

Quote from: FrankU on May 28, 2008, 09:45:13 AM
OK, I didn't see that, haven't checked everything exactly. Well, maybe the ship's model can be extracted from the file. Or maybe you use the seaport just as a dependency....

Having a functional seaport as a dependency would be fatal though,
since Pegasus has included his seaport developer exemplar in it.
And being installed in a zzzz... folder it would supersede any other developer exemplar you've got.

Pat

Danng just stunning here, thats all I got to say  &apls :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

FrankU

Well, what I meant is: just put the port in het plugins folder, but do not use it...
So there is an icon staring at the player, wanting to be used, but being ignored. How long will this situation hold?
I don't know, but have no other answer.
Maybe someone would be able to tell me how to extract the ship's model from PEGs file.
Probably I'd do something illegal then...

Diggis

Quote from: FrankU on May 29, 2008, 08:03:44 AM
Well, what I meant is: just put the port in het plugins folder, but do not use it...
So there is an icon staring at the player, wanting to be used, but being ignored. How long will this situation hold?
Maybe someone would be able to tell me how to extract the ship's model from PEGs file.

There are 2 reasons that won't work:

1. as Tage has just pointed out Peg has included the developer file in the seaport file and set it to install to a ZZZ folder.  this means just having the seaport installed will mean you have a second developer file, installed in a place where it will probably load last.

2. Just having an unreferenced seaport in your plugins folder will stuff life up.  you don;t even have to use it.  Just ask Hands On.

HandsOn

Since - if I understood and tested this correctly - Peg's functional seaport conflicts with SWAP, then this would mean each one has to make a choice: Peg's seaport collection, or BSC SWAP & Seaports. Obviously both is not going to be possible as I - much to my detriment - have discovered from the Airport thread.

Or am I wrong, Tag?

edit: thanks for pointing yer finger at me, Diggis..  :P

But this does open a larger issue: what needs to be clarified, I think, is which of Peg's maratime multitudes are affected. Is this developer file applied to ALL of his port pieces, or are we just talking all functioning seaports (container port, functional seaport replacement, csk miniport, cdk miniport)? I did have a pre-SWAP problem with the miniport, but there the conflict was, I am pretty certain, between PEG's port replacement & his csk miniport, although I did not wring an admission out of him. So, Tag, Diggis, and other blistering barnacles: which items go onto the endangered list?

RippleJet

Quote from: HandsOn on May 29, 2008, 08:35:03 AM
Or am I wrong, Tag?

Stand uncorrected! :thumbsup:
Unless I decide to share my unofficial version with you, supporting all seaports available... $%Grinno$%

You're even almost correct about the spelling of my name! ;D

edit: thanks for pointing yer finger at me..  :P

Feel free to point back at me any time! :D

Why not ask Pegasus to do it?
Don't see why he wouldn't promote the use of his eyecandy docks irrespectively of his functional ports.

HandsOn

&ops Oy veh; ish ben dummQ Sorry about the misspelling. This seems to be one of those "why can't we all.." situations. I have noted, with some distress, that the world of SC4 models the real world sometimes a bit too closely. Surely there must be a way to combine the best of both worlds? Is that what the fine print is saying, Tage?

Diggis

Quote from: HandsOn on May 29, 2008, 08:59:47 AM
&ops Oy veh; ish ben dummQ Sorry about the misspelling. This seems to be one of those "why can't we all.." situations. I have noted, with some distress, that the world of SC4 models the real world sometimes a bit too closely. Surely there must be a way to combine the best of both worlds? Is that what the fine print is saying, Tage?

Not easily.  As Peg has buried his developer file into the main DAT file then the risk of conflicts is high if using another one.  You would have to know how to extract it from Pegs files, then how to edit the BSC version to add Pegs into it.

RippleJet

But this does open a larger issue: what needs to be clarified, I think, is which of Peg's maratime multitudes are affected. Is this developer file applied to ALL of his port pieces, or are we just talking all functioning seaports (container port, functional seaport replacement, csk miniport, cdk miniport)? I did have a pre-SWAP problem with the miniport, but there the conflict was, I am pretty certain, between PEG's port replacement & his csk miniport, although I did not wring an admission out of him. So, Tag, Diggis, and other blistering barnacles: which items go onto the endangered list?

A. SWAP contains a developer file supporting the ingame port as #1 and the Cargo Loading Center as #2.
  B. Peg's CSK2 Small Port contains a developer file supporting the ingame port as #1 and itself as #2.
  C. Peg's CDK3-SP Container Port contains a developer file supporting the ingame port (=itself) as #1, the CSK2 Small Port as #2 and CDK3-SP Break Bulk port as #3.
  D. Peg's CDK3-SP Break Bulk Port contains the same developer file as CDK3-SP Container Port.
  E. BSC Functional Seaports contains a developer file supporting SWAP's Cargo Loading Center and all subsequent BSC ports.

Whichever developer file is loaded last in your plugins must support all ports you have in your plugins and intend to use.
And all ports you have in your plugins folder must be supported by the developer file in use.

Of the developer files listed above, the following loading orders are compatible.
All other combinations are incompatible and will lead to CTD's.
  A + E
  B + C
  B + C + D
  B + D
  B + D + C
  C + A
  C + A + E
  C + D
  C + E
  D + C

Confusing you? Real life is confusing as well! :D

Quote from: HandsOn on May 29, 2008, 08:59:47 AM
Surely there must be a way to combine the best of both worlds? Is that what the fine print is saying, Tage?

It would be pretty easy to include support for Peg's seaports in E above.
They could even be supported without being menu enabled in BSC Functional Seaports.
Instead, e.g. a file called "Enable_PEGPROD_CDK3-SP_BreakBulk_Port.dat" could be installed afterwards to enable it.

However, that would require some reorganization of Peg's files.
Most notably, the seaports developer exemplar (C) that's included would have to be lifted out.
Also, all models required would have to be available without downloading his current functional seaports.

xxdita

And of course none of that can be done without PEG's explicit authorization, making most of this conversation moot.

FrankU, though you would need to read PEG's license agreement to be certain, most creators do not mind any modifications of their files for personal use. If PEG's EULA allows it, it would probably be much easier to delete the exemplar files for the developer file, the lot and the building desc inculded in the dat. This would remove everything that conflicts with the BSC Functional Seaports, so that the EyeCandy lot can still be used.

HandsOn

Actually not that confusing. And immediately an idea pops into my head: since cooperation is not - yet - possible, would it be possible to involve "our" resident LUA expert, aka Daeley? Since you can identify who can play nice with whom, could not a script add the possible combinations to his menu system, hiding the others? Thus the end-user could select?

If that is not possible, how about something I am working on: I've gotten tired of manually moving stuff in and out of plug-ins folder and I don't like the start-up manager (sorry). Besides, I wanted some additional functionality. Thus the idea of the SC4 Organizer was born. It automates backups, albums, plugins_compressed, and all the other stuff. To cut a long story short: could such a tool take the confusion out of your equation by letting the user select the combination he/she wants to use in a given region (because the CTD only happens at city-load level)?

I'm just tossing stuff around here..don't mind me..