• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Train station with no parking

Started by dcaegis, February 17, 2015, 01:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcaegis

I've looked everywhere and I can't believe I haven't found one: I need a train station that doesn't have parking (so train<->pedestrian only). It's to be used as a passenger train exit stop for commuters on my rail system, where having parking would just attract more sims to park and leave town! I'm not picky about size or appearance, re-using the bus stop lot would be fine, but any other conveniently sized lot would work.

I feel like this would be easy to accomplish with the reader, but I just don't even know how to start with that thing.

Thank you!

GDO29Anagram

That station would probably interfere with proper NAM function (if you're using the NAM, of course), and could possibly act as a bottleneck on a rail line. Those are the dangers of downloading a non-NAM station. It's fixable by checking out this post, and you will need the reader for this: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=12522.0

As of what a parking lot attached to a station means, it means that the station gets a small capacity boost per parking lot tile (1000 per parking lot tile if it's not Subway), and that boost could be pretty small depending how big the station is. Whether or not the station acts like a parking lot is not clarified, IE, I don't know if means that car traffic is converted into passenger rail traffic, as if it were car->pedestrian->train. There's a whole section on transit switches missing from that thing.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

joshua43214

here you go :)

I just took the Maxis train station, deleted the parking lot and shrank the lot to 2x2 in the LotEditor, removed the car to pedestrian transit switch and increased the capacity to 24000 to be inline with the NAM in SC4Tool.

Took all of 5 minutes. Tested fine in game. I had thought it would need a bus stop or a ped mall next to it, but folks walked right to it and used it fine. Just plop it between a road and a rail and your good to go. If you have three tiles between the rail and the road, use the NAM ped malls.

-Josh

Quote from: dcaegis on February 17, 2015, 01:39:00 PM
I've looked everywhere and I can't believe I haven't found one: I need a train station that doesn't have parking (so train<->pedestrian only). It's to be used as a passenger train exit stop for commuters on my rail system, where having parking would just attract more sims to park and leave town! I'm not picky about size or appearance, re-using the bus stop lot would be fine, but any other conveniently sized lot would work.

I feel like this would be easy to accomplish with the reader, but I just don't even know how to start with that thing.

Thank you!

After reading what joshua43214 wrote, I do actually think that you could (in any case) place a railway station next to PedMall tiles and connect them to road with a bus or subway stop. This way, only pedestrians can enter the railway station, and they can reach it via bus/subway. Just make sure that 1. there's no road/street touching the railway station, and 2. the PedMall tiles are attached to any traffic station allowing pedestrians to pass (the default Maxis bus stop and subway stop will do).

dcaegis

Josh: THAT'S PERFECT! Thank you!

Numbers: I tried the pedmall thing before, and it does work, but for some reason my sims get super lazy and would only walk about 2 tiles when they had to cross the pedmall (where they would walk 4-5 tiles before I made the pedmall barricade. who knows.

PS omg the anti-spam verification is finicky