• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

Very nice-looking lots once again  &apls  It's so great to get all these options after such a long wait following RRW's original release. Are those terrain-mod-matching textures or transparent base textures?

manga rivotra

Your textures and lot are great and very useful, thanks you  :thumbsup:

Simmer2

Quote from: noahclem on January 09, 2016, 11:44:37 AM
Very nice-looking lots once again  &apls  It's so great to get all these options after such a long wait following RRW's original release. Are those terrain-mod-matching textures or transparent base textures?

Hi Noah.
I used a single PEG dark grass texture, it blends nicely with many terrains.
I did try with overlays only at first but the water bug effect was too unsightly therefore I dropped that idea.
It's very simple to replace just the base texture with a matching terrain one.
I got your PM.
Thank you  :thumbsup:

Quote from: manga rivotra on January 09, 2016, 03:14:36 PM
Your textures and lot are great and very useful, thanks you  :thumbsup:

Thank you MR :)
________________________________________________________________________________

Simmer2

Vol2 is progressing well.
Just an example of the possibilities with the new set of textures I'm working on.

________________________________________________________________________________

Vizoria

&apls &apls

Amazing work Simmer2! Those railway sidings and train stops look great! Keep doing what you are doing.

As for that railway texture thing, well I created my own lot in the LE to extend the low wealth grass texture for when three or more railways are bunched together.

mgb204

You know, someone was just asking on ST about how you did that. I posted a little mod to add the grass under the rails, perhaps that's useful to you? I thought that's what you'd done, but apparently not?

Simmer2

Quote from: Vizoria on January 10, 2016, 11:09:09 AM
&apls &apls

Amazing work Simmer2! Those railway sidings and train stops look great! Keep doing what you are doing.

As for that railway texture thing, well I created my own lot in the LE to extend the low wealth grass texture for when three or more railways are bunched together.

Thanks Vizoria, glad you found a solution that fits your map  :thumbsup:

New pics with HD props coming soon here.....

Simmer2

True DTR sidings with HD props  :thumbsup:

mgb204

Very nice  :popcorn:, what props are those I'd like to get my hands on them :).

Simmer2

Hi Robin.

They are...

SCF Citaro Props

SFBT_Semaphore_Signals

SFBT_Rail_Catenaries

Themistokles

Quote from: Simmer2 on January 10, 2016, 05:29:21 PM
True DTR sidings with HD props 

&apls &apls &apls

And, as a suggestion, maybe, since not all trains are equal in length, some sidings ought to be longer than their train?
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

mgb204

Thanks for the links, I didn't know about the Citaro Props, I'm guessing that's the nice HD rail cars?

Anyhow fixed prop families attached. I'll PM you more details :).

Simmer2

Quote from: Themistokles on January 10, 2016, 11:46:43 PM
Quote from: Simmer2 on January 10, 2016, 05:29:21 PM
True DTR sidings with HD props 

&apls &apls &apls

And, as a suggestion, maybe, since not all trains are equal in length, some sidings ought to be longer than their train?

...or trains shorter than the sidings.
Yes of course, I'm actually making several lengths choices so as to satisfy most players.  ;)

Something like 1x10 - 1x12 - 1x15 - 1x17 - 1x20
I think 5 choices in length ought to be enough.
Anything less than 10 is impractical and over 20 might be to big.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding length feel free to add your 2 cents.

Thank you

Quote from: mgb204 on January 11, 2016, 06:35:50 AM
Thanks for the links, I didn't know about the Citaro Props, I'm guessing that's the nice HD rail cars?

Anyhow fixed prop families attached. I'll PM you more details :).

Ah links  $%Grinno$%
Actually it turns out, Citaro's train props are in this pack http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26342-train-prop-pack-vol1/ (why did PIM-X point to the bus pack??)
The other links are http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1714 (for the Semaphores)
..and http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=925 (for the catenaries)

Sorry about that.

Nick

mgb204

No worries, I'm not as quick as some, I've yet to click them :). I've got the SFBT stuff, I just never looked too closely. That's half the battle lotting, familiarity with what's available.

Simmer2

Update.
True DTR Sidings ™ progressing well.
Already have a few ready, some are HD.
I even made some passenger sidings for those inner city scenes.

True sidings

Simmer2

Before I finalize this project is there any particular requests regarding lots length or trains/cars on the lots?
I think I probably have every train prop ever made on file.
Please keep in mind that some models are not up to standard but by making a request I will be able to sort it out.

Your input is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Simmer2/Nick

Swordmaster

Good job Nick.

You could make hundreds upon hundreds of these and still not cover everyone's idea of a siding, so don't worry about that. Here are some more ideas:
- siding with only engines parked on it
- siding mostly empty (except one or two cars, or a single engine)
- more parked trains without engines
- bunch of very long sidings (the realistic ones... a decent one should be 75-100 tiles long... they would need to be modular of course)
- FARR sidings? I know there are FA car props, probably in the Jestarr packs. I don't know how the lotting/TEing would work.
- I trust there are also empty sidings in the pack? That's what they are most of the time, after all.

Cheers
Willy

Simmer2

Quote from: Swordmaster on January 16, 2016, 07:49:46 AM
Good job Nick.

You could make hundreds upon hundreds of these and still not cover everyone's idea of a siding, so don't worry about that. Here are some more ideas:
- siding with only engines parked on it
- siding mostly empty (except one or two cars, or a single engine)
- more parked trains without engines
- bunch of very long sidings (the realistic ones... a decent one should be 75-100 tiles long... they would need to be modular of course)
- FARR sidings? I know there are FA car props, probably in the Jestarr packs. I don't know how the lotting/TEing would work.
- I trust there are also empty sidings in the pack? That's what they are most of the time, after all.

Cheers
Willy

Hi Willy
Ain't that the truth!
As far as FARR (pun intended) I have thought of it but they would have to be custom path and for now I'm not eagerly pursuing that idea.
I do have 2 more types of realistic sidings I'm working on at the moment. I'm in the process of making the overlays and will reveal them when I'm done with this project.
Extremely long ones such as the ones you suggested would be visually very appealing if large maps could be 4 times the size, so I will keep that idea on hold unless I get a request for a particular map.
I have completed 8 out of the 10 True DTR Sidings for this release, I will however take your advice and include 2 mostly empty ones, 2 maybe 3 family props on 14 to 16 tile lengths.

Thank you.
Nick.

Swordmaster

Do as you see fit :thumbsup:

Quote from: Simmer2 on December 27, 2015, 02:18:56 PM
Quote from: Indiana Joe on December 27, 2015, 01:32:20 PM
You said that you created all the textures yourself, but it looks like some of the overlays are from the files I uploaded in the NAM RRW thread.  If they're mine I don't mind you uploading them, but just make sure you give credit.   :thumbsup:

Hi Joe.
I wrote that I "modified" them not "created" them. I just added a few from my own creations and I was told that Swordmaster created them therefore I listed him as the original creator in the credits.
I ran them all through Photoshop and made them sharper and slightly darker and assigned them brand new IID's
However if it was you that made them then of course I will change and/or add you to the credits.

*Edit* I just modified the credits, sorry for any misunderstandings
Thank you Joe

Need to make a subtle point here regarding credits... anyone using the RRW textures, modified or unmodified, based on whichever version of the textures, ought to credit the NAM team, not me or any other NAM team members individually. That's the established policy regarding any modifications of NAM work. (Obviously, anyone whose work has been in between the NAM and you should also be credited of course.)

Cheers
Willy

Simmer2

Aye Willy.
Sent you a PM on this matter.

Nick