• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bridge modding and questions

Started by noahclem, February 17, 2018, 06:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

Hi guys,
I've been scheming up a few things with bridges and have a couple questions about how they work, can be modified, and can be implemented creatively.

First, to start with something that shouldn't be as difficult, I'm wondering if I can change the way choco's RHW10 cable-stayed bridge works. I would like to be able to make it without the approaches that have pillar supports but are not part of the cable-stayed system. I tried tinkering with the settings on what pieces were shown or repeated where and didn't have any luck. But could anyone help me in achieving this this thing? The image below includes the bridge and the hopefully it's clear what it is I'm hoping to accomplish:

While designed to check how various bridges would fit plans for a new region, one thing that might be apparent is my intent to combine that undertress 8S bridge with another one that offers more clearance for boats below--a common setup in RL.
1) Some of the bridge models are just bats that can be added to lots and manipulated (offset) with model tweaker
2) Others, like the aforementioned undertruss seem to be 3D models that can't be manipulated with tweaker (though apparently can be put on lots if given proper descriptions.
3) This implies T21ing should be possible as well, including on a temporary basis while an appropriate T21 mod was in the plugins folder. 4) Does being true 3D models also mean they conform to slopes? It would be amazing to have a bridge slope upward toward the middle
5) To combine multiple bridge models it seems drawing the network out as desired on terrain shaped to the bridge's desired profile would work best, followed by using Terraformer to return the water below them and cause them to float in midair. That should be straight-forward enough for something like the center span consisting of Maarten's arch bridge but I don't think the undertruss models could be added that way without T21ing since they can't be offset. Making the entire bridge consist of a lot might possibly solve that problem.

Summary:
*Question about modifying bridge repeating, specifically the 10S cable-stayed so it doesn't have the extra sections? Converting it to an L2 bridge?
*Can I T21 that 8S undertruss (true 3D) model to an RHW network? Would such a setup tolerate slopes? Tips or tutorials?
*Am I missing helpful information or misunderstanding any of this?

Any help would be massively appreciated  %confuso                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Kitsune

With the 10s if you eliminate the supports it could muck up the geometry, as the cables cant be changed; you would end up with some floating sections possibly. To convert to L2 is something I'm curious about too, except in my case its convert a 6s bridge to L1. I'm going to guess its easier for L2 - it may just require moving the RUL's from ground highway to el-highway and reassigning IID's if your adventurous.  As for the 8s under to arch, theoretically there is nothing preventing from two bridges to be "merged", it would just require properly merging and editing the two bridges RUL's and possibly IID's if you go that route; and again, are adventurous.
~ NAM Team Member