• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

AntigOne's Projects: Elsewhere.

Started by Badsim, January 17, 2007, 02:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Badsim, hi again.

Thanks for the gentian pic.  The Alpine variety you show in your pic is a completely European native- we see it in gardens up here grown from seed- it's beautiful.

Speaking of beautiful, your take on ploppable water streams is a marvelous and, once again, totaly unique one.  I'm going to take some time and put together a post to start a "Ploppable Water Techniques" discussion thread.  One part of that is to come up with a list of "wouldn't it be nice if we had..." things.

...I'd put "larger boulders that don't look like giant meatballs" way up there on the list, but I have a rule against carping about something I can't create myself...

Your fireweed ploppables are closer in scale to RL than anything I've seen so far.  Steve (sorchin) has some daisies out there that are one the right track, but it's really hard to get a 3"/8cm flower right when your granularity is at the one foot/30cm level.

Heh! The cows... I guess all they really need are parachutes.

I'll be back here throughout the day stealing your ideas learning from a master.

David

p.s.:  Oops, forgot- I'm with you on the PW rapids lots.  I used a base texture because doing a "no texture" lot and the variant of ploppable water I was using would not work in harmony.  They were also developed before I realized that you could just plop the rocks you wanted on them anyway.  I've come up with some new ones that are a ways down the priority list to fiddle with, but are working their way up there.  I'll keep you posted.  DE

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Rayden

What ploppable water are you using? It looks very real, with a small undulation effect.  :thumbsup:

nova vesfalo

that's much time on a farm, you're a true perfectionist !! but the result worth the work

thundercrack83

You're ploppable stream is absolutely amazing. I tend to agree with the comments about the amount of green rocks, but that's nothing major, it's still looks fantastic. And the cows? Outstanding. You're truly an artist, my friend. Amazing job!

Badsim

Hi again ,

And thanks for such great feedback . Be sure I'll take  your suggestions in consideration .

Yoder , I can say we "met" on a totally different subject so I'm particurlarly glad you follow this with the same interest ; it was not so obvious . ( that's right for each of you ...)

wouanagaine Thanks for your enthusiasm and advice/trick ...I'm reading many posts in many places before to do something and have to spam threads with questions or issues which have already been solved .However ,  I will probably badger you soon about DatPacker & SC4 Mapper . ;D

barbyW & jeronij Of course I'm glad to see you there , your opinions are essential and so true in any subject . Have to take this occasion to announce SC4Devotion have became my official and exclusive home .Have some reasons , each time BSC team is stupidely attacked , I have epidermic reactions ...

emilin You gave me a good advice , as you'll see in this post . Thanks . ;)

Nik-Nik ... ;D you should rather take EagleEyes as username . (d'you know the meaning of  Nique-nique in french ? :D ) . I'm amazed by your comments , not only there ; you're a skilled reviewer ... and you're right , I made several tries and have forgotten to delete and replace some ploppable water props . $%Grinno$%

Giligone Unfortunately this picture isn't mine . Since 10 years I can't take any summer holidays due to my real job ... ()sad()

Kimcar You're an enthusiasm fan since a longer time than my presence here ...Thanks . :P

dedgren/David I dislike to be named "master" ( I know it's not so serious  ;) ), we're all somewhere else , between zero and our own limits . We can as well look like the spupid guy of somebody else . With pvarcoe , jeronij and Aleking you're the investigator of this new direction for me . :thumbsup:
I'll be glad and honoured to partipate to a thread about Ploppable Water Techniques  -- Great idea -- ... and effectively , It would be nice if we had ... so many things . ;)

Rayden I enjoy your presence here . This ploppable water is coming from Flora Set By Sorchin  and I agree after have tried many things , this is the abslolutely greatest ploppable water texture , so far . Then you'll see it on your own computer ... I'm always a little disappointed by my shared pictures due to the size limits .

nova vesfalo Glad to see you there . Your skill for city planning is promising , so if you spend such time of your city , the result will worth the work , too . ;)

thundercrack Thanks for your pleasant comment . I don't know if we can say "artist" but I like the use of the word "sculptor" about jeronij's work ... ::)

So the result of my tests about terrain . The winner is .... Italia .Fortunately , Olympic isn't a real country ... $%Grinno$%

Olympic terrain for meadows ... obviously the best for that use .

Italia terrain for meadows ...that textures distortions looks no good .But that's acceptacle .

Olympic terrain and stream ... the green looks a bit "flashy" and "fake" .IMO ...

Italia terrain and stream ...same comment than for meadows , but definitely more realistic than Olympic terrain .

Olympic terrain and farm ... I dislike . Totally . Even without the texture issue on the junction tile between the street and the farm , all that looks too clean (lack of erosion ) .

Italia terrain and farm ... nothing to say: perfect .

About mossy rocks , I think I'll keep my choice to don't mix them .The problem with other ones is the fact they're more individually visible and so , they quickely appear what they are : repetitive .  I was inspired by my memory and a few pictures like these two .

Of course , it's so far impossible to create in SC4 but I think not in future : all we need is a thinner ploppable water .

To the next .

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Antoine

Wow the terrain look perfect ! You are a master for the city AND nature ! It's not just  $%Grinno$%

emilin

Hmmmm... the italian terrain looks really good. Nice! I have to admit that I expected better from the Olympic mod, but it does look terrible with the farm. You sure are right about that.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

dedgren

Badsim- A really helpful comparison.  I had the same issue that you did (and I'll be speaking really quietly, because cycledogg's Godlike powers are only slightly lesser than wouanagaine's) with the Olympic terrain...

...it's too green.

The rain forests of the Pacific Northwest and Southeast Alaska are really green places- but it is a "dense" green, not necessarily a bright one.  Our friend cycledogg is a genius, though, and if he wanted to make a purple terrain, hey-

1)  It would be brilliantly conceived and executed, and

2)  It's his vision.

I'd take small exception to your observation

QuoteItalia terrain for meadows ...that textures distortions looks no good .But that's acceptacle .

I certainly agree that it's acceptable- but I'd go beyond that and note that it is the variation/distortion that gives cycledogg's terrains the "life" that they have.  I've never seen any other wholly conceived terrain that, in a grassy level area, the texture just doesn't simply lie there, flat and lifeless.  We should talk more about this at some point.

Always a high point in my day to stop and read AntigOne- your foray into the pastoral world is a marvelous one!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

petercintn

I don't know what to say.  And I usually have to cut it short.  Utterly awesomely bad*ssed.  (Guess I got to change the sig.) 

edit: Duh, it's already there, time for a new brain transplant, this one is used up.
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

Badsim

Quote from: dedgren on March 07, 2007, 01:38:17 PM
.. I'll be speaking really quietly, because cycledogg's Godlike powers are only slightly lesser than wouanagaine's) with the Olympic terrain...

David[/size][/font]

I totally agree with your precisions , David , don't have any doubt about my inexhaustible acknowledgement for any creators , BATers , modders , even those aren't still present on this MD .
For these comparisons , I never failed to think "In that case / for that use / in my opinion" . You know english isn't my native language , I'm progressing ( I think so , I hope so  ::) ) but still I think in french and have to translate anything in the two directions ... :-[

Here , David , my work at this time on your rapids set . I have no intention to upload this , that's still your set and your final decision to take these suggestions in consideration and eventually re-upload it if there're enough interested users by them ...

I'm just taking one of your lot as example .

First step , I'm deleting all rocks props  with 2 purposes ; each user will be able to choose the kind of rocks he desire , and less there're props on these Lots , easier it is to use ploppable rocks mod on them .

Now I made several test with different base textures , my conclusion is that the best one is from Pegasus Stream kit (have to verify this information when I scan dependancies with SC4 Tool , it tells me PEG _trail park  ...) which perfectely "dilute" the little too sharp effect of Effect_SmallFoutain_C ...

First preview ingame ...the larger water fall is realized with 2 of these Lots , I'm not satisfied with the smaller one  . (I plopped Big mossy rocks once too much )

Hope you like it . ;)

petercintn , I feel honoured by your sig  but I'm not a big fan of these advertisings ...( personally the list of CJs /MDs I Iove and would like to link should be longer than this entire post !) . However that's your choice and if you desire to keep it I'll not feel upset if you correct it ; Antigone by Badsim;D

To the next .

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Giligone

Splendid work once again. That italia terrain mod works very well in your map. Good choice I must say. Thats too bad about the no summer holidays. I won't get one this year either **sigh**  :'(

rooker1

The waterfalls look awesome.  Your eye for details is incredible.  I' ll keep watch here for sure. :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

the Monkeys Uncle

I just came across this in my surfing, and I have to say, it's looking very good Badsim!  Absolutely stunning really, just like all the rest of your work!

How come you haven't been over at Simphoni recently?  We missed ya!

pvarcoe

I agree, the italia terrain's textures work great with the region you are in.

I am following with much interest, your work on rapids and waterfalls.
It may tie in somewhat with ploppable water.
I believe David is planning on spending some time in 3RR on ploppable water.
It will be very interesting to see where this all leads.

Super work as always Badsim.
Thanks for sharing it with us!

sebes

Fantastic Badsim! You show you can build the best city scenes but also these country scenes are magnificent. You're a true god! (wait - I am atheist too.. looking for other word now...)

Thanks for the gentian picture - it's my favorite alpine flower, but never saw them so fresh and beautiful as in your picture - you probably have a "flora editor" too, right  ;)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

dedgren

Badsim, my friend-

QuoteI have no intention to upload this , that's still your set and your final decision to take these suggestions in consideration and eventually re-upload it if there're enough interested users by them ...

I, like you, am working on these, because they could be made much better than my initial efforts last summer.  I do plan to start that ploppable water thread next week- I'd suggest we collaborate on coming up with something that would be truly great.  It would be a privilege to do that with you.

As a related aside, anyone seeing this- I upload things having taken, at the time anyway, my best swipe at whatever it is.  Don't ever hesitate, to the extent you can improve something I've uploaded or simply have a different take on it, to upload your work freely.  I'd appreciate a word or two of credit, if what I did was particularly useful or helpful, but would never want to see anyone's creativity slowed down a minute 'cos of me.  Consider this, then, general permission to that end.  I'll put this in a more general location (sorry, Badsim, about using your thread as a podium) at some point.

Great to see your take on ploppable water.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

kwakelaar

Very interesting to see you have extended your work on this MD outside the city and into the countryside. As always I enjoy the images you put up and the discussion about plop water and waterfalls.

Cali

once again, you have amazed me...please continue ;D
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

thundercrack83

Quote from: Cali on March 09, 2007, 07:38:06 PM
once again, you have amazed me...please continue ;D

I agree with Cali. You're work just keeps getting better and better! Great job!

Badsim

Such little things ...

Fist little thing :a bridge in meadows ... If I were a BATer , I should have create a little stone bridge like we can see in old french countrysides ... But there's no hope I become one day a BATer . $%Grinno$%
Anyway , this has good points  ; I need to use my imagination .

A bridge in meadows using Oppie's canal pieces :

The "Foundation Threshold" has been changed to prevent foundations , as it is placed on a slope I've had to correct terraforming precisely to don't see it partially disappear in slopes .I spent a lot of time to plop it properly . :-[

Second little thing :  a logs and trailers scene . And a demonstration on a trick I use frequently ... ;)
The challenge is to create a Lot looking connected to the street but which in reality isn't , to avoid sidewalks to appear along this street ...
Fisrt step , the creation of the first version of this Lot . For that purpose , I've used a lot of Cycleways Kit by Shadow Assassin which has a transparent base texture (It's so far a mystery for me ! This texture is listed as 0xea890000 , I can't find it under LotEditor in my base textures list but I can duplicate it ...)

I've now to plop this Lot in game enough far to the street to avoid sisdewalks ...

Then , I go back to LotEditor , enlarge it to appropiate size depending to my purpose , add overlays (you can't add other props , they will not show ...) , and just "Save" .

When you launch again the game , these new overlays will automatically appear ...but the street doesn't detect the new size of this Lot .

Sometimes visual bugs with transparent base textures may be useful ; here you can see in blue the new size of the Lot but if I want to destroy it you can also see that the lot detected is still 1x2 ...

The only inconvenience with that kind of Lots is that you can use them only once .

I have still to work on the stream , but the farm is achieved .
So, like Yoder7652 said , here it is : "... a farm in the middle of nowhere"

Giligone All my condolences for you summer holidays . ;D . My seasonal job in tourism will start in 3 weeks now ... &mmm , that means I will not be able to update this MD between April and the end of September : I'm just hoping AntiGone will not fall in the dark MD trashcan ...  %wrd

TMU , I've been surprised to see you there ... I will answer you by PM soon , the only thing I can add here is that I've found at SC4Devotion the emulation I was searching for .... :-\

pvarcoe I'm glad of your interest here , I don't know at all the real streams network of Teton Range but I think It could be a great addition to your work ... If you have many ,many ,many time for that . :-[

David I'm now waiting this thread with impatience , be sure of my collaboration . ;) During the 6 next months I will have no time for the game , but I will follow and participate to these forums . I have to thanks you for your MD showing me the way to be not only "amazing" but  explicative and ( I hope so ) helpful too . &apls

Thanks you all for your comments . ;)