• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bat4max rendering help!

Started by woopypooky, July 09, 2016, 11:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woopypooky

I dunno why but i used back the scanline instead of mental ray, adjusted anti aliasing and global supersampling and re-render again and it is showing all sides on every zoom. Previously i uses mental ray for 3 renders, all are buggy.

it is this building i saw free in google sketchup, so i downloaded it and took pain in ass to convert it to 3ds max and retexture again.

it pales is comparison to that yellow building. that one is downloaded many years ago and i wonder how he managed to get those details. even the roof edges are in straight lines while mine is jaggy.

mgb204

The thing is, many people see free 3D models on online sites and think "that would look great in SC4". But often they don't realise the special requirements of making models work with a game using a 2.5D isometric view.

There are lots of very specific requirements that help to optimise a model's appearance in-game, usually the best way to ensure this is reflected in a model is to build it with SC4 in mind. Option B is to adjust what you have downloaded where required, but this frankly requires a high-level of experience with 3D modelling tools. Then there is the issue of textures, I spend more time making textures than I do making the models. This would be less of a problem if you were more talented in using image editors and making graphical assets.

To a point people can provide some tips and assistance with 3d modelling. But all those who can get good results have had to spend countless hours learning 3D modelling. There is no shortcut if you want to produce something that is of high quality.

I would also advise when starting out, don't jump in with huge models, they only further complicate the learning process. Something no larger than 2x2 tiles would be an ideal place to get to grips with modelling. After a few such models, you'll be more prepared and knowledgeable, helping you to get better results with more complicated models such as this.

To be frank, if you think anyone will walk you through 3D modelling, step by step, you are going to be disappointed.

vortext

Wow that's a humongous model to tackle if you just start BATting.   :o 

Quote from: woopypooky on July 20, 2016, 10:27:12 PM
it pales is comparison to that yellow building. that one is downloaded many years ago and i wonder how he managed to get those details.

Well the answer is simple: it's all modeled in. The stairs railing, the columns, the roof ornaments, it's all modeled. That's the nice thing about SC4: you can cram as much detail into the initial model because the final, isometric SC4Model is just a simple box which shows the rendered images.

Free online models on the other hand are typically meant to be used in a proper 3D environment and as such they'll lack a level of detail because it'd slow down the 3D environment.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

woopypooky

But u see why his building no jagged edges? Straight line remain smooth as if anti aliased,  while mine is jagged. U see the stock power plant also got some jagged lines along edges.

I suspect it is about rendering rather than modeling. Cos mine looked smooth in my 3ds max.  Only after rendering it came out like this. 

Perhaps someone here know the optimum setting for rendering.

vortext

Hm yeah now that you mention it, it looks as if the model is rendered in HD, i.e. high definition. Under 'preview' in the BAT4MAX panel you can select HD render. Please note, however, this will significantly increase render times. In addition you have to export the LODs in HD as well.

It's well advised you start with a smaller model simply because it'll be faster to determine what will give you the best result.

Also should mention that the roof texture on your model is horribly tiled, i.e. it repeats over-and-over. This, too, causes the appearance of jagged lines.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana