• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commercial Canals

Started by Diggis, August 28, 2009, 04:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

The last thread seems to be overgrown with rough waterways so I'm going to start a new one with my latest project (one of many ideas I have)

The idea is to model a bunch of different facades (aiming for 20 or so as a start) plus pieces like steps down, plazas etc, to create a nice stepped commercial edge to the waterways.

gottago

Intriguing.... Basic question--you're thinking of a kind of sunken waterway/city center canal set here? the top level is normal ground height if I get it?

Diggis

Yup, pretty much.  There is still some work to be done on them, and the textures are washing out a bit when rendering but they should leave a nice effect when I finish.

rooker1

Very interesting idea, I like it. :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

sithlrd98

I really like this! Just one more thing that has been missing for far too long! I love that reflection in the water...too bad it won't show as well in-game  :(

Jayson

Diggis

Yeah, a lot of the details get lost in rendering, these may just be HD only I think, otherwise I won't be happy with them  ;)  Also then the reflection will show better too.

gottago

ok, great idea then. go for broke and mix it up--plaza piece with steps, double-height stores, setback esplanades--the works  :thumbsup:

Diggis

In the long run, I'll upload the basic facade with some basic textures as a model which will allow users to do their own facades and add them to the prop family.  I aim to provide enough variety as a start, but means if someone has something they want for themselves they can add it easily.  :)

And here is the latest, added the handrails and adjusted the textures slightly.

TheTeaCat

This looks like a very interesting idea.  :thumbsup:
I can see this being a welcome addition to the game. :D

May even make me start using canals :D :D

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

metarvo

Nice work!  :thumbsup:  I see some real possibilities with this.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

sithlrd98

Quote from: Diggis on August 28, 2009, 07:14:41 AM
In the long run, I'll upload the basic facade with some basic textures as a model which will allow users to do their own facades and add them to the prop family.  I aim to provide enough variety as a start, but means if someone has something they want for themselves they can add it easily.  :)

I like that idea as I can see this turning into a canal mall...just another place for our sims to spend their money!

Jayson

peter007

What a cool idea If it's coming out at the STEX/LEX i'm going to use it

RebaLynnTS

Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

tag_one

Wonderful work Shaun. I'm drooling.  :thumbsup:
Small thing that caught my eye: why have you placed the Starbucks between the McDonalds? Wouldn't it be more logic for the McDonalds to occupy the lower floors and the Startbucks the top floor?

Diggis

;)  Funny how that happens really.  I've been tinkering with the façade for these for a couple of months now but between holidays and work I haven't managed to get a decent amount of work done on them.  You showed your photo just as I started work back on them.  Weird really.

On another note:

One thing I'm unsure of is whether the building heights are too small and whether I should go to 2 floors instead of 3....

Merijn,

They are just placeholders.  I did McD's first, Starbucks second and nothing more yet.  It was just to see how it looked in game really, wanted to make sure I have the colours etc right.  I plan on doing about 10-15 variations initially and then add to it over time when I get bored.

SimGoober

I'd stick with three levels, but make the top one above ground.  A streetside facade as well as canal side. Then make a variation with access from the street; stairs , escalators, elevators.. something like that.

This is a concept I have had in my mind for years, but never got past the thought stage.. lol.. glad to see someone doing it.
When life just blows ... Fukitol!

freedo50

I prefer it the way it is Shaun, the floor heights look in-keeping with those other buildings in the picture, and the overall effect is nice. That looks a lot deeper than any 15m though!

Fred

RebaLynnTS

You could consider something I was thinking about. A set of street side facades in case the player wanted to plop the canal at 10 meters instead of 15. It would make the set even more versatile.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Leodido

I like it using 3 floors personnaly. it looks great but there are a bit too many mc donalds in your region in my opinion your citizen will die young !   :D

Omnia, my first MD. Check it out!

gottago

I'd go for 2 floors--the arcades look too squashed and busy in your ingame pic--and then give the space freed up to a wider canal-side esplanade. It would also allow you to scale things up a tad--the arches are narrower than a car. As is, it looks too cramped and after all the waterside promenade would be the reason a developer would want to build this in the first place, and stores would want to be there. A festive shakedown walk retail promenade.  ;)