• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GLR Ave Request - Roundabout

Started by sollord, October 27, 2007, 05:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

rushman5, the bridges on that plaza could never work to carry pedestrian traffic.  The tiles are overhanging, and the lot exemplars are scaled to fit the non-overhanging size (2x2) and as a result, the tiles occupied by the overhang are not defined, meaning that they cannot be pathed.   The overhang is merely eyecandy.

Hope that answers your question.

-Alex (Tarkus)

M4346

Okay, I might sound stupid and clueless here, but hear me out (and ignore if it's ignorant :P)

Can't you create a 4x4 BAT / LOT with the necessary textures and paths to create a station and avenue roundabout? I mean, include the paths for road traffic and GLR?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Andreas

I thought I already explained that... No, you can't, since a lot is not a network tile. A lot will stay a lot, transit enabled and pathed or not...
Andreas

M4346

Okay, then scratch the LOT part. Maybe I am just not familiar with how network puzzle-pieces work, such as the GLR and Avenue Roundabout pieces, but they are not LOTs, right?

So, can you make an avenue roundabout puzzle piece that is modded / pathed / whatever'ed to carry GLR and Road traffic, like the avenue GLR.

That is what I mean. And please, excuse my lack of firm grasp of the concepts at hand, but as I've said I'm not the in-house transit 'geek'.

Also, sorry if I pissed you off Andreas.  &Thk/(
New Horizons Productions

Shadow Assassin

Yeah, of course!

It's just a bit harder to do, because it's a dual-network puzzle piece. :P
New Horizons Productions
See my uploads on the LEX!

M4346

That is what I was referring to!  &idea Dual Network Puzzle Piece!

But you can't let this dual network piece be a station? It's just a network piece? Stations are modded to be, well, stations?
New Horizons Productions

Shadow Assassin

It can't be a station, because a network piece cannot have additional properties like lots can. But on the other hand, a transit-enabled lot CAN be made as a GLR station, but it would require custom paths before it could work.

They are lots that are modded to give an appearence that they're functional stations.
New Horizons Productions

M4346

Ah, yes, that I do understand. Thanks SA.  ;D
New Horizons Productions

Andreas

Quote from: M4346 on October 30, 2007, 04:20:23 AM
Also, sorry if I pissed you off Andreas.  &Thk/(

Nah, you didn't. :) But I suggest to take a look at mott's thread about transit enabled lots and the pathfinding engine: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2763.0
Andreas

Shadow Assassin

Seeing as the lot is 2x2, I don't think there'd be many issues with Sims taking shortcuts (well, if cars and buses are blocked from entering the station so it's pedestrian and GLR only, it should be fine)...
New Horizons Productions

M4346

Yes, I understand that Andreas and I'm not propagating TE'ing the LOT, I'm just trying to understand the basic functioning of these things. :)

And SA, as JP pointed out previously, TE'ing the LOT is rather dangerous due to the CTD phenomenon. So I don't think it's feasible to put a station in the middle. At least, from what I've gathered.
New Horizons Productions

Shadow Assassin

QuoteTE'ing the LOT is rather dangerous due to the CTD phenomenon.

Only if you plop the TE lot BEFORE you plop the puzzle pieces. You shouldn't have too much of an issue if you do that.

I don't particularly like transit-enabling, but in some situations, it's unavoidable.
New Horizons Productions

jplumbley

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on October 30, 2007, 04:51:06 AM
Seeing as the lot is 2x2, I don't think there'd be many issues with Sims taking shortcuts (well, if cars and buses are blocked from entering the station so it's pedestrian and GLR only, it should be fine)...

This still doesnt get around the issue of the CTD from Puzzle Piece / TE Lot...  Its a circle in which you would have to place a TE Lot in the middle or vice versa.  There is no way to put that TE Lot in the middle without causing the CTD by touching the Puzzle Piece.  It is a physical limitation that we cannot get around.

If you want a Station in the middle of the Roundabout, there are two ways to do this.

1.  Build a TE Lot for the entire Roundabout, but this will cause issues with the Pathfinding as stated by Mott in his discoveries.  (Not recommended at all.)

2.  Find a way to make the Avenue Roundabout draggable.  Tropod has expressed to me that he believes there is a way (he doesnt know the way) but there could be a way to make it draggable.  Of course, this is currently not being worked on and there is much to learn about it before it will happen.

In conclusion... A station inside an Avenue Roundabout will not happen for quite sometime unless you want it to cause issues in game play.  Something, no decent modder will attempt knowing the limitations and the effects of the LOT.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Shadow Assassin

QuoteThere is no way to put that TE Lot in the middle without causing the CTD by touching the Puzzle Piece.  It is a physical limitation that we cannot get around.

Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? I've accidentally hovered TE'd lots over puzzle pieces and it's never crashed for me.
New Horizons Productions

jplumbley

Alot of the CTD issues from GLR (when it was ploppable) came from both situations.  When either plopping a puzzle piece or a station.

Ive hit Subway Stations with my GLR puzzle piece when trying to plop the track and gotten CTD.

Ive hit a GLR puzzle piece when trying to place the station and gotten CTD.

I dont think it happens every single time but the percentage is just WAY too large for it to not cause people to outcry.  People still complain about the CTD when using GLR... But that is because they are not using the new Draggable GLR, their own fault.  You can test it...  Make a TE Lot and then plop your roundabout and test it both ways.  It it crashes then its not worth the effort.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

M4346

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on October 30, 2007, 05:10:06 AM
Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Yes, it has only happened to me when I hover puzzle pieces over TE'd LOTs...  %wrd

EDIT: But yeah, do as JP suggests... :P Make it and test it!  :D
New Horizons Productions

RippleJet

Quote from: jplumbley on October 30, 2007, 05:22:15 AM
You can test it...  Make a TE Lot and then plop your roundabout and test it both ways.  It it crashes then its not worth the effort.

Eh, in addition to causing a CTD, you wouldn't even be able plop an avenue roundabout on top of an existing 2×2 lot. $%Grinno$%

M4346

You would, but you won't be able to delete it from the city ever :P
New Horizons Productions

Tarkus

RippleJet's right.  The center grass tiles on the Avenue Roundabout puzzle piece are actually part of the puzzle piece's definition in the RUL file.  The surface area of the Avenue Roundabout puzzle piece will always be in contact with a station.

As far as making the Avenue Roundabout draggable, the Avenue network's RULs are just an absolute mess to work with because of the fact that it is a 2-tile network and has all those pesky Median Flags.  There may be ways to do it with another network, however. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Tarkus on October 30, 2007, 02:13:49 PM
There may be ways to do it with another network, however. ;)

Let me guess, the OWR? ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.