• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manga rivotra

Indeed, this 3d rail and ballast is superb.  :o
And your work on the texture and colors of the dirt road that enters the lot is stunning !  :thumbsup:

eggman121

Great work Simmer2

Reminds me of when I go up north with all the railway lines that have grain silos servicing the Mallee area of Victoria in Australia.

You have pulled this off quite well ;)

-eggman121

Simmer2

fantozzi Weeds can easily be added either with LE or MMP after you plop it. Don't feel like spending 8 and a half hours re-rendering that monster. I cannot possible make everyone happy  :(

PaPa-J Yep it is. Turn of last century remnant. Left to rot out in the open...

feyss Thanks!

manga rivotra Really appreciate your comment!

eggman121 I'm glad I can evoke such fond memories :)

I just finished some other models which will be used in a couple of sets I have in mind. These are forgotten structures which decades ago had a purpose but now sit silently rusting away, slowly being overrun with weeds and bushes.

Some of the rails have been removed many years ago in order to reclaim the land but the scars of years of usage still clearly shows. More work will be necessary to dig deep and then fill the gaps with clean soil.

You can still see them around railyards and at the end of very old spurs.

There is a Coal Tower, a Coal Unloading Shed, a Rail Water Tower and a few very rusty small Coal Cars. These facilities were a must in order to re-fuel those colossal metal monster which used to roam all the cardinal points of a nation.

Steam could be seen for miles around signaling the arrival or departure of these gigantic machines. Now we can only see them under special occasions, perhaps a town fair but most of them have either been turned to scrap or sit in museums where enthusiasts come to see them up close.

Some older people remember them with fondness and when they hear a steam whistle, memories of days gone, come flooding and perhaps leaves a tear or two....

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

fantozzi

Quote from: Simmer2 on April 01, 2018, 10:16:39 PM
fantozzi Weeds can easily be added either with LE or MMP after you plop it. Don't feel like spending 8 and a half hours re-rendering that monster. I cannot possible make everyone happy  :(

Nick

I have to correct you here: you make me very, very, very happy. Indeed I had the lotwork in mind, not the model itself. 

reddonquixote

Idyllic.. wistful... romantic even.. this scene is quite mesmerising. Awesome work  &apls &apls &apls
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

manga rivotra

These new props are perfect in every way !  &apls &apls &apls
The Coal Tower is so exquisitely textured that you'd think you see a picture!  :o
And thank you for the details everywhere like this grafiti that fits perfectly the metal door of the small shed on the first picture.
You will make a lot of players and "lotters" happy once again.  :thumbsup:

PaPa-J

Great work!  &apls Very realistic. Looks just like something you would find in a small town somewhere in Kansas.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

brick_mortimer

Wow, the monster is finally finished  $%Grinno$%

Quote from: manga rivotra on April 02, 2018, 03:20:59 AM
...The Coal Tower is so exquisitely textured that you'd think you see a picture!  :o
And thank you for the details everywhere like this grafiti that fits perfectly the metal door of the small shed on the first picture...
Indeed the textures are very realistic  :thumbsup:
I didn't notice the grafiti on the shed the first time I looked, but it fits it perfectly!
Simmer2: grafiti master :D
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Simmer2

Thank you for the replies everyone!

So far I have the Grain elevator SD and HD versions ready to go. I also made a variant of the silos for modularity sake, for a total of 4 lots.
I also made a stand alone Coal tower lot and extensions which I call SM2 Old Coal Tower Spur. These lots are made with custom 3D rails, ties and ballast (not textures).

Kind of an end of the line rail lot (today) where trains used to go through to refuel with coal and water before proceeding on their journey.

After removing the continuation rails, the Mayor decided to leave the area untouched by turning it into a city Landmark....

Simmer2
________________________________________________________________________________

Simmer2

Well, I finally started to play the game again, specifically the farming side of it. So I downloaded Fantozzi's wonderful farmer's tool box and installed it. (still trying to zip up the coveralls  :D)
So far so good Fantozzi!!

Of course I did not miss the chance to test out a couple of things of mine.
The standalone silos I made look great among the fields. Both the doubles and singles.

Here are a couple of pics.

Simmer2

bombardiere

That 3D rail is superb.   :thumbsup: Only if it would be possible to make all rails like that.

PaPa-J

The silo's are way cool, and I love the cattle yard.
smile more, laugh more,
about things.

brick_mortimer

From Grungy to Agri as if nothing happened $%Grinno$%

I'm looking forward to your new sets  :satisfied:
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Unconstantean

Great work  &apls

BTW yesterday i took a short trip to a town south of my city and i found some things that may inspire you :D maybe :D

Simmer2

Lots ready to be deployed now stands at 11.....

Along my travels I picked up an impromptu cooperation with kingofsimcity. He has a great idea regarding making some abandoned looking lots that will grow here and there on a map, giving a more grungy feel to SC4. (He posted some pics over at ST)

My part is to create a set of props that will make this project possible. I started the process and already have several ready. I'm probably going to make over a dozen different ones to diversify the project. I will then release a specific prop pack for this purpose.

Here are a few (These are test lots. Kingofsimcity will make and release the final lots)

Simmer2/Nick

Kitsune

Have you considered making ruins that match the footprint of some of the popular housing sets ? (ie CP's).
~ NAM Team Member

Unconstantean

amazing, you've just took SC4 to an entire new level. could you make those ruined homes as parks? they'll fit very well in a post ap play or former soviet area play

manga rivotra

It seems like you have several great ideas a day!   &apls &apls &apls
Your SM2 Future Old Coal Tower Spur is absolutely stunning! 3D rail, buildings, prop and of course texture: we reach the perfection!  :o
Your silos, although industrial in form, are very charming and even suitable for rural use, that is great.
And, your last idea, is undoubtedly one of the one that enchanted me the longest: finally ruins correctly reproduced for Sim City 4.
In summary many excellent things to come and a huge thank you to you!  :thumbsup:

mattb325

Really nifty idea! I really like seeing totally left-field stuff that no one else has thought of  :thumbsup:

PaPa-J

You are so full of surprises. I find myself waiting excitedly for the next project. Outstanding work.
smile more, laugh more,
about things.