• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nos.17

I have been following the progress on this closely and have been meaning so say something for awhile. I know it is a WIP and do not know if they are final, but personally, I am not satisfied with the dirt road textures. Something about them just does not sit well with me; maybe it is the contrast between the tracks and base color. I also would think that a facility this big would have something a little more improved than dirt tracks ... something like crushed gravel maybe?

(1) or (2)? Just some suggestions...

Simmer2

Hi nos.17
I researched the various layouts of an Oil depot facility and found that indeed dirt roads are predominantly used.
Here are a couple of pics..

..and to be honest I would prefer not to redo 1500 tiles all over again  $%Grinno$%
However that is not not say that I will not take your suggestion into consideration for future projects I have in mind  ;)

Erik I have thought about your suggestions and it would be possible for me to create an action within Photoshop to batch process the FHS but would I not need NBVC permission to upload any changes to his original work?

Simmer2/Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

vortext

Quote from: Simmer2 on June 11, 2016, 11:02:56 AM
Erik I have thought about your suggestions and it would be possible for me to create an action within Photoshop to batch process the FHS but would I not need NBVC permission to upload any changes to his original work?

Of course asking for, and getting permission would be ideal but NBVC hasn't been around for almost two years so I doubt you'd get a reply - that's not to say you shouldn't ask him obviously. However there's some precedent regarding modifying BATs, though in that case it were tweaks made to S3D files (iirc Frank tweaked some of MJB fence models).

At any rate, since a BAT consists of two file types, S3D & FSH, both of which are utterly useless without the other, my understanding is that uploading modifications of either one is fine, since it still requires the original files to work properly.

Or in other words, since it's basically a texture override and NBVC's models still serve as a dependency giving credit would be sufficient, at least in my opinion.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Simmer2

Something like this?

Original.

Mod
________________________________________________________________________________

bombardiere

May be with smaller brown patches.

You need grungy, but I agree it that should not be too prominent. Not to mention that these facilities are maintained, then there is a perceptive of the distance. We view the game's buildings from a birdseye and from distance, so the grunge will not be that visible to a human eye.

It is actually quite difficult to get proper amount of dirt and effect in the BATs. It should be there and it should be visible, but it should not overpower the model. I am getting better in my batting, but I am still looking for the right balance.  Assuming that there is a "prefect balance."  :) 

In my country, Finland, the road would be asphalt. But I suppose that the road surface would depend on the ground where those are built on. I don't mind your dirt texture. In fact I love the texture work you have able to do with my lot. :)

dyoungyn

Is it possible to remove the rust spots and only add a gray light tint to emulate weathered pipes, you know when you have silt and dirty air.  With the rust, it would appear to be a huge problem with leaking oil.

MushyMushy

I looked over nbvc's set in the LE and cataloged the pieces, and it still isn't a particularly daunting-looking task. I can save those overly grungy textures for something else, but I went ahead and tried some new textures out, which are grey and weathered instead of rusty. Here's an example what I can offer now:

Now that I have most of the basic sub-models done, I can throw together the remaining 5-pipe and 2-pipe pieces pretty easily. I'm also studying the rail filling stations and it should be pretty straightforward to remake those as well. I should be able to remake the whole set, though I'd probably skip the two oil port pieces due to irrelevance. I also studied your images and I see maybe one or two situations where the pipes have to kind of loop around due to the limitations of the set. Since I'd be making this set specifically for your oil lots, I could make a new piece or two that could remedy that.
I also figured out a pretty simple way to make a transition at the edge of your lot to let the pipes transition to nbvc's. All that would need to be done is to make a small structure with the pipes modeled going in on the inside of the lot and a flat panel leveled with nbvc's pipes at the edge of the building, which would be lined up with the edge of the lot. Thus his modular pipe set could just be "plugged in."

nos.17

Quote from: Simmer2 on June 11, 2016, 11:02:56 AM
..and to be honest I would prefer not to redo 1500 tiles all over again  $%Grinno$%
However that is not not say that I will not take your suggestion into consideration for future projects I have in mind  ;)

:o  I don't blame you: I would not want to do that many textures over again either. It still doesn't sit well with me, but I'm gonna have to suck it up because the rest of the lot is gorgeous, and I don't think it would be possible for me to dislike it enough to flat out not use the lot. Can't wait to see the final thing...

dyoungyn

Your pipes look OUTSTANDING and really weathered due to dirty industry pollution.  GREAT JOB!

vortext

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Simmer2

MushyMushy, you absolutely nailed it!!!
Well beyond my expectations,

Since you are redoing the set please add those missing pieces like you suggested.
If you have looked at my layout carefully you can see where some pieces are sorely missing, such as the end piece. As you can see I have had to make do with the small dual 90. Also please make a few single pipe pieces as well ( straight long, straight short, long and short bends) and that single vertical offset bend, please make it both left and right.

Also I'm sure you noticed that the loading platform is made up of several pieces. Make it a single piece and for both single DTR and dual DTR rail track.

Wow! I'm absolutely impressed!!

Nick

PS. Please also consider making a few storage tanks to match your pipe set!!

noahclem

Amazing project here  &apls  Really great work on those redone props too, MushyMushy  :thumbsup:

Vizoria

MushyMushy, those are some incredibly grungy industrial pipes and a perfect update of nbvc's original oil pipes. I wonder if these will be released as an independent set of lots? Or will they come with the oil depot files?

Simmer2

While we wait for MushyMushy to deliver her awesome prop pack I managed to finish about 85% of the work, including placing dozens of various smoke effects  :-[. Off course, I will redo the piping as soon as she makes it available.
I also started a texture set for those pipe pieces so as to have a complete expansion set for my lots and any other future uploads from other players.
It is still work in progress.

Here is a legend of the full 7 piece assembly.

Also here is a pic of NBVC old hookup. It will be replaced by Mushy's new piece.

And the high voltage hookup which is compatible with Jes's lot set.

Bitumen loading facility.

APSMS

It looks great! I'm not familiar with how oil processing/storage plants look IRL (though we do have some scattered about in San Diego, for the shipyards and whatnot), but yours look excellent for in-game. And incredibly massive, as well...

Quote from: Simmer2 on June 12, 2016, 01:26:32 PM
While we wait for MushyMushy to deliver his awesome prop pack I managed to finish about 85% of the work, including placing dozens of various smoke effects  :-[. Off course, I will redo the piping as soon as he makes it available.
Shhh... MushyMushy is a girl. And yeah, her revisions look incredible; really adds some realistic texture to NBVC's BATs (which were originally made in GMAX, IIRC).
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Simmer2

MushyMushy 誤解についてとても残念
Gokai ni tsuite totemo zan'nen

I amended my last post &ops

eggman121

Great work MushyMushy on re texturing the FSH files  &apls

This I think opens up a whole new way we can use Gmax and graphics editors for the same effect as other propitiatory programs  ;) Basically being able to edit the FSH files will save alot of work and time. This will be very useful to fix up some of my already rendered BATs.

I have KP'ed you accordingly

And Nick, Great work on the Oil Depot  :thumbsup: I think we have a great set of work going on!

-eggman121

metarvo

Grungy, grimy, oily, and industrial always gets my vote.  Great job, Simmer2 and MushyMushy!  &apls  This new FSH editing technique might solve an ongoing dilemma I have going with BATs.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

belfastsocrates

Oh my goodness!! This is going to be absolutely epic!

Mushy those revised pipelines are fantastic, be good to get those as a standalone set as well, I'm sure many would make great use of them. Could I make a small request though? In regard to the tankers, is there scope of a Euro-style cab? I don't mind changing them all in LE one this lot is released so I'm not suggesting more work for your Nick.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Simmer2

Wow! thanks guys!!

@Stephen. I may be wrong but I think MushyMushy is actually remaking the models and not the FSH.

@belfastsocrates. I already started a texture set to make a replacement standalone expansion pack.

Simmer2/Nick