• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

VDK San Andreas Church

Started by vester, February 23, 2007, 05:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

Looking good Vester!  :thumbsup:

Joel, I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but I might want to provide my 2c on it anyway.

If the church was built in the 1100 - 1200, it is obvious that it has to be either Roman Catholic / Eastern Orthodox. Taking into account that it is in Denmark, I'm going to settle for the former. (Protestantism only "arriving" 300 years later). So, unless Vester's original "1100 - 1200 AD" information is incorrect, I am going to assume that it is Catholic.

It doesn't really look like an "ordinary" Catholic Church, the Catholics of course especially persistent about the form of the cross in their places of worship, evident in the construction / style of the larger Cathedrals that dot Europe. But I think mentioning that, a part of the explanation is apparent - it is not a Cathedral, but rather a Church / Parish. Cathedrals are usually more elaborately planned - with a detailed design in mind - whereas Churches are built to serve a specific need / community.

I think another explanation for its, what would appear as, avant garde appearance is its setting: it is in a rural area. I have seen many Catholic churches here in Africa, and none of their floorplans resembled that of a cross. They are usually just rectangular, small and not elaborately decorated because of their isolation, but also because of the resources / raw materials available (which may also have contributed to the above's appearance - as it looks like wood was used too).

I admit that I don't know the church, and can't judge it suitably from the photo (either in floorplan, interior or building material). But it appears to me, and correct me if I am wrong, that the "wings" could possibly be later additions, departing from the rectangular form of Catholic churches.

So, in conclusion, I think its 'odd' shape and floorplan can be attributed to its location, isolation, setting, function and even size and the availability of building materials.

Well, that's my view anyway. :)

PS. The only websites I could find on the church were in Danish...  ???

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

joelevan

Quote from: M4346 on March 01, 2007, 04:26:44 PM

PS. The only websites I could find on the church were in Danish...  ???

That is funny! I looked online too and found that as well! I couldn't read a darn thing!  :D

Joel

M4346

I could make out the occasional word that corresponded with German / Afrikaans in some way though, but in general, it was all Greek (  &Thk/( ) to me! :P
New Horizons Productions

oldrogue

M...Thank you for your thoughts on the matter, I would tend to agree with you in your conclusions.....Kudo's for your research &apls
Sometimes I go into my own little world....but it's ok, they know me there.

Cali

i just gave up after the first sentance. :D
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

RippleJet

I'll try to make a brief translation of an extract of the history of the church:

Quote from: DANMARKS KIRKER bind 2, 1946Kirken, der var viet til S. Andreas, var tidligere Anneks til Svogerslev, men blev sidenhen selv hovedkirke. Bygningen, der er en af landets mindste, er formodentlig, som den stedlige tradition også vil vide, opført som Herregårdskapel til Kornerupgård, der med hele sognet i det sidste århundrede før reformationen ejedes af Roskilde Vor Frue Kloster og muligvis har hørt under dette fra langt ældre tid, idet et pavebrev af 1257 nævner Kornerup blandt Klo-strets Sædegårde.

The church, which was concecrated to St. Andreas, was formerly a chapel of ease to Svogerslev (church), but later became an independent church. The church, one of the smallest in the country, was probably, according to tradition, built as a mansion chapel to Kornerupgård, which including the neighbourhood during the last century before the Reformation was owned by the Cloister of Our Lady in Roskilde, and possible has been in this possession since ages back, since a bull dated 1257 mentions Kornerup among the manor farms of the cloister.

Quote from: DANMARKS KIRKER bind 2, 1946Efter en tradition fra 1700-tallet skal kirken oprindelig have været et kapel, som en ejer af Kornerupgård havde ladet indrette til sin egen bekvemmelighed. Sidst i 1800-tallet fortalte en gammel mand, at han havde læst i en beskrivelse af Kornerup, at der i gammel tid ikke fantes nogen præstegård i sognet, og at der kun blev prædiket i kirken ved højtiderne.

According to tradition from the 18th century the church was originally a chapel, which the owner of Kornerupgård had constructed for his own convenience. By the late 19th century an old man told, that he had read a description of Kornerup, that in the old days there was no rectory in the parish, and thus sermons were only held at feasts.

Cali

thanks Ripple, thats very interesting history.

vester

Thanks for the translation, RippleJet.

Svogerslev and Kornerup is situated, west of Roskilde. Svogerslev been the villages on the right hand and Kornerup being the on the left, just between the two lakes.
The two villages share parish. You would expect that the rectory was place in that biggest of the two villages, Svogerslev, but no. Its placed just next to Kornerup Church.
I have gone to confirmation classes there, when I lived in Svogerslev. I have only been inside the church once, but have gone by it, thousands of times.

Still working on adding details to the church.  ()stsfd()

joelevan

Wonderful! Thank you for translating. That is fascinating and answers my questions.

Joel

vester

Here is a update of the progress:

Now of to work on some kind of night light.

Cali

they are coming along nicely. i really like the spire on top, and really good coloring too

jacqulina

hi my friend you have excellent progress very nice details

M4346

Mind if I ask how this is going? :)
New Horizons Productions

vester

Andreas was helpful a made a lot for this church.

So here is small Christmas gift to all of you.
It's only the 24th you say. Well I am for Denmark and here we get the Christmas gifts on evening of the 24th.

oldrogue

Oh yeah, that is absolutly beautifull.......wonderfull...thank you so very much a Very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Duane
Sometimes I go into my own little world....but it's ok, they know me there.