• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Traff Plays Shosaloza

Started by Traff, December 28, 2006, 07:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traff

My name is Mark and I decided to join the Shosaloza Project.

Being a new lurker to ST gave me the opportunity to download a good amount of custom content.
I have never done a Journal or Diary before, so any comments, critisism and feedback are much appreciated. Apart from a throwing down a Gridopolis, I havent tried to create realistic and beautiful cities until recently.

I dont think I have enough growable IM or IHT in my plugins folder. The R is all grown so far (took about 5 game years for anything to pop up)

Population so far about 5000

I am however having a problem growing C. I know I have enough content that should be growing. There is only 2 spots in the northern valley area that have some C. I had to plop the C shown to keep the sims from shipping out.

I know there are many details missing, mainly trees and parks etc. This is my first time posting pics of any of my cities. I hope you all enjoy for now. Any tips on getting the custom C to grow will be helpful, as I'd hate to plop it all like my "I"
:)

bat

Looks great, waiting for more!

sebes

Traff, Mark - that is a hell of a start. Your first attempt is already pleasing the eye. I like the way how you have that park on a slope in the second picture!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

mattb325

Hi Mark and welcome to the Shosaloza challenge. Great to see more join in the fun. You are off to a great start and by the looks of it you've a lot in your plugins folder already! :thumbsup: ;D

vab423

Traff/Mark, one thing that is considerably annoying is someone who starts out with phrases like "lurker" and "never done anything like this before" and the proceeds to post some marvelous pictures.  I mean, really, it puts people like me (who have been playing FOREVER) to shame.   ;)  Seriously, this is a nice start and I'll be watching its development.  Because you are having a problem with C growing, I'm guessing you have a "block Maxis growth" type of mod that you're using?  The one I have has different files to suppress certain types of growth, so I am currently blocking R$$-$$$, CO$$-$$$, I-M and CS$$, while letting Maxis R$, I-HT and I-D grow (since I don't have very much custom content in those areas).

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

jeronij

Traff, this is an excellent first work  &apls !!!

Very nice and original layout.

My suggestion to lay my new walls, so they conform better to slope:
Draw a street ( or even better use the ANT tool) which follows the way you want the walls to follow. This will give you a better slope. Also, dont use road or other transit networks for this, because they can "break" your terrain too much.

I hope this helps. Keep the pics coming  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

jen_p

If you're having trouble getting commercial zones to grow you could use the Radical Ordinance Mod available in the mods section at ST. Among all of the ordinances that it adds (that are a bit like cheating) it has ordinances to increase the demand for commercial service, commercial office, industrial, and I think, agricultural.
My MD: Jen's random cities...  ...Also, check out my creations on the LEX...

Alfred.Jones

Sim City 4 Devotion

jacqulina

Traff

Thanks for all the comments :)
I used the Blockallmaxis mod by Dusktrooper for all the R's and C's.
As with most, when I first started DL custom content it was all about the CO$$ & CO$$$ towers  ;D so I'm loaded with those.
I have slight demand in the pretty much all the C's, even almost half demand in the CS$
Those empty zones have been there for nearly 15 game years. Up to 9000sims

Jeronij - I love the walls. Thanks for the tip. I get fustrated with sloped terrain easily.

Colyn

Can you give us an idea of where on the map you are doing this ?
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

pvarcoe

Nice start Traff.
I especially like the shot of the diagonal street suburb with the soccer pitch.

TheTeaCat

Nice Dl's you've got in your plugins. Nice start too, looking forward to more. &apls
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Traff

Well I'm not sure what the problem with the commercial was, but its resolved. Slowly but they started keeping up with the growth.

I have a few more pics for now. "Muskoka" which is the central North & South Valley, has plans for the commercial area to be where they connect.

So far there is a decent mix of areas to appeal to potential residents. There is a downtown college, a University, many great parks, the local Muskoka Beavers baseball team.

A few major development firms stepped in to town, building many condos for the booming commercial & HT Industry.

I also plan a narrow river that will be fast moving.
Any suggestions for helping the realism with using plopable water.
Dont mind the rock overuse. :)

bat

Fantastic suburb you have made there!

NikNik

Aha another Lurker has come out of the closet. WELCOME!

Those Rosemount R$$ homes are great aren't they?

Looking forward to those ploppable water experiments.

Nik-Nik

kwakelaar

This is very well done, some great pictures from your city.

Alfred.Jones

:shocked2: That forrest is amazing!! And I love that river/pond/lake/stream/water body of some description ;D

Sim City 4 Devotion

rooker1

Excellent start........everything looks very nicely laid out.  I'll have to come back and check your progress.
Call me Robin, please.

Thornton

:thumbsup: Great Pics, Keep up the great work!!