• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Land Bridges

Started by bwatterud, February 06, 2007, 10:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwatterud

I see so many pics in the SC4 forums featuring land bridges going over overanging lots.  Some of these bridges look like they've built off of the ground raiser lots.  Try as I might I can simply not get a bridge to build over land unless both sides are ludicrously high.  Any tips on how to get nice, low land bridges?  Do you need a slope mod installed?

wouanagaine

You'll need the rain tool mod

make a tiny small valley, use the rain tool on it, so you'll have water, then you can build the bridge, save to region view, then get back to the city, the water has disappeared but the bridge is still there

I think Rayden just post a tutorial in is Shosaloza experiment on how to do it

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

threestooges

I assume this is more or less the look you are going for:

There are a couple of ways to do this, and if I recall there is a tutorial at Simtropolis.com by dedgren
The first way to do this is just to build a bridge across some water and extend it really far across the land on one side of the water and using the height slider at the bottom of the bridge building menu to raise the height.

The second method (for a "pure" land bridge) was quite well described by dedgren in his MD Three Rivers Region (though I don't know if it on there now, I highly recommend you check it out as he is the one who originally showed me and there is a bunch of other great information there too). The process involves one special tool. It is the rain mod by (I believe) Teirusu. I believe it is included in this. The process is just a few short steps:

1: Use the god mode controls (you can access these from the mayor mode by holding Ctrl, Alt, and Shift down and clicking the god mode button) and use it to build a small (4 grid squares or so) valley

2: Use the rain tool from the "level land" menu to fill the valley with water

3: Build a bridge over the water. Any type will work.

You can leave this water, but if/when you save and exit, the water will disappear when the city is reloaded. I recommend using plop water available from jeronij or dedgren on the BSC Lex here to make a creek under the bridge.

That's about it: add some trees or whatever. If you have any questions feel free to pm me or post again. I hope this helps.

M4346

Thanks threestooges!  :thumbsup:

I was wondering if you would be able to direct me to the relevant link for the additional god mode tools, I am not to sure what it is labeled as or where to find it exactly.

Thank you,

M

EDIT: I actually got it, thank you very much though! They're available here: (ST) -> Click!
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Rayden

Yesterday evening I've uploaded a tutorial at my MD here

There's also another one, even better than mine, at Simtropolis made by David (dedgren), in here

Hope that's useful for you ;)

dedgren

Mine's not better at all, Silvio- It's just different.  Yours is way more concise.  We'll get it over to the tutorials today where it belongs.  Maybe I'll get the old one over here as an alternate approach.

Cheers, and great job!

David

p.s.:  Well, it's already there...

......I'm useful, aren't I?

...so, thanks again, Silvio!  DE
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

bwatterud

Thank you everyone.  I'd heard about the rain tool but didn't know where to get it, so thanks for the link.