• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM request: Maglev

Started by pspfat, October 03, 2012, 04:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspfat

Hello devotees!

How about introducing the Maglev to SimCity? Just like the HSRP.

To those who don't know what is a Maglev : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev

or

Have a nice day!
my youtube channel: youtube.com/sc4lover

MandelSoft

Well, we can't just put up a whole new network just like that. It will take a lot of time to develop such a network, especially when you realize that it's model-based and there-fore labour intensive.

Another problem is that we don't have much real-life examples of it. Only Shanghai has a commercial track and we don't have any references about how essential parts look like, like switches.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Flatron

Ah, the transrapid... Why not use the original monorail? it's almost exactly what transrapid is...

pspfat

I think this idea should be archived for a future use. Probably for future versions of the NAM, when the Maglev becomes as popular as the HSR ;).
my youtube channel: youtube.com/sc4lover

Wiimeiser

There's two, actually, with two more under construction. Also, Melbourne planned to build one, but it was shelved in favour of the East-West Tunnel, which I think should be a distributor like the Western Distributor in Sydney, protected heritage be damned.
Also, I swear Victoria's only built one rail line in the last 111 years(the City Loop) not counting reconstruction of previously dismantled lines. Can anyone confirm this for me?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

joelyboy911

Perhaps a re-texturing (or even slight remodelling) mod for the HSRP, and a suitable automata replacement would be a good analogue for a maglev system? It would probably be quite easy to achieve (and could be done by people who are not busy making other NAM stuff right now).
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

TEG24601

Quote from: joelyboy911 on October 07, 2012, 07:13:13 PM
Perhaps a re-texturing (or even slight remodelling) mod for the HSRP, and a suitable automata replacement would be a good analogue for a maglev system? It would probably be quite easy to achieve (and could be done by people who are not busy making other NAM stuff right now).

I think this might be the best solution.  Then again, ultimately, one would hope that Maglev would also be used for Cargo, making a mod for Rail a bit more logical.

Swordmaster

Quote from: TEG24601 on December 02, 2012, 02:05:11 PM

I think this might be the best solution.  Then again, ultimately, one would hope that Maglev would also be used for Cargo, making a mod for Rail a bit more logical.

I'm not sure that would be viable. Most cargo doesn't need fast delivery, just cheap - hence railroads. Maglev is definitely not cheap. . .

Cheers
Willy

dragonshardz

I think the HSRP fits this best, in concept.

Honestly, I'd like to see all the current projects left at an acceptable point of doneness and old projects such as the HSRP brought up to current standard before any new projects are begun.

Monorail Master

Quote from: TEG24601 on December 02, 2012, 02:05:11 PM
Quote from: joelyboy911 on October 07, 2012, 07:13:13 PM

That is a very good idea. Make Maglev a re-skin of the HSRP, and make it an optional texture to use in the HSRP installer. Just like the NAM installer's retextures of Heavy Rail.

But the Cargo traffic using Maglev/Monorail track, I see that as an interesting change. Cargo Maglev traffic is like for if you're using the Sim Mars addon, or building a futuristic Sci-fi city. But it's like tripleing or quadrupleing the speed of Freight Train speed on Heavy Rail. Realistically, I don't see Cargo Traffic on Monorail/HSRP track from the time being. But there's hope, give it a few years and someone's likely to make a huge breakthrough and discover how to get Freight Traffic use the Monorail/HSRP systems.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination