• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Whitefall, Iridar - update 3 is now up. 16-12-09; p20.

Started by Shadow Assassin, March 30, 2007, 11:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

By the way, SA. What are you using for those cemeteries? I forgot to ask in my last post...

Berethor

Nice pictures, The suburbs and the cemetery are beautiful, green everywhere.
Stunning work !   &apls

I have one question: Where did you find the church in the fourth picture?

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ MallowTheCloud ♦ HabLeUrG ♦ moganite ♦ Mr Food11 ♦ jplumbley ♦ Vandy ♦ wouanagaine

Darmok

Let me see....
The Burninarium...  :D
1-800-CRISPY....  ::)
Drive-Thru Funerals...  ???
Dare I say that, at Ravenswood Cemetary, it's standing room only.... (Ooooh...  Bad joke....)  ;)
You just made my day Daniel!....
Thanks  :thumbsup:

-John
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

emilin

A bit late with my comment, but: wow! I think that none of rest of us evere have to build another cemetary again. All of our cities can just ship our dead to Ravenswood.  ;D

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Yoman

Show me the airport or face death :P

Snaper

Waaa   :o

It is a splendid cemetery ... It is fantastic  :thumbsup:  ;)

Shadow Assassin

As Ensenada climbs closer to the 1.5 million mark, with approximately 70% of the entire region left to develop, Greater Midlands has grown considerably. There's still six or seven city tiles to go in Greater Midlands; four have already been completed - Farms 1, Greater Midlands Int'l Airport (which has been zoned, but not entirely completed), Arlington Gardens, Ravenswood. All up, these city tiles provide a total population of approximately 150,000. Add to that Greater Midlands, at 164,000, and you can see just how much has been done. The scale of Ensenada means that there are huge amounts of land still left to develop. Eight months on, Ensenada has grown from a tiny little town in the top-left of the map to the messy network of cities it has become.

To prove that I am still alive, I have two previews for you.

The M1 (Greater Midlands Freeway) can be seen down below. This is a small medium-density area sticking up in the middle of rowhomes. It hasn't entirely been finished, but will be soon. Because there's a huge demand for jobs that I am trying to fill, it slows down development. I've skirted this issue by using industrial lots that provide a LOT of jobs, somewhere in the region of 10,000. Keep in mind, this is a 'sandbox' city journal. I don't care about money. I only care about making a city that functions well, looks good and above all, fits in well with the region.

Typical suburbia this close to Greater Midlands. This entire area actually underwent a 'downgrade' in density in the late 2900s (current year is 3022). It was actually unknown why this was done but it has had its benefits, amongst which is leafy-green suburbia, close to main facilities and transport. Greater Midlands' transport system is currently undergoing an overhaul to allow better use of services.

To sum up, Ensenada, eight months later, ended up a lot bigger than I originally imagined. But I love it!

Unfortunately, updates have been VERY sporadic as of late, mainly due to a fully-laden real life. It's a shame, but I have to live with it...

Replies:
meinhosen: LOL, thanks. :P Let's hope the Bad Pun Brigade doesn't decide to chase me down and burn me.
thundercrack83: Thanks! I quite like Homestar Runner, it's quite random and stupid. :D
bat: Thanks!
sebes: LOL, Karma4U, eh? :P Thanks!
Zaphod: Thanks! :P
jayo: If you've got an issue, here's a tissue! :P Thanks!
Tarkus: Thanks! :P
kwakelaar: Thanks! What can I say? Big is better, after all.
thundercrack83 (again): I'm using PEG's Drop'n'Plop Boneyard (search for memorial park). It's available on the STEX.
Berethor: It's a very old BAT, a wonderful one by nomad. You can download it here. :P Thanks!
John: Not a problem. I'm sure Death himself has a sense of humour. Laugh at it once in a while. :D
emilin: Over my dead body. :D I suppose I could get away with building a cemetery that covers a large tile. :P
Yoman: Already have, and won. :P
Snaper: Thanks!

And that's just replies, etc. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

bat

Great two pictures, SA! Nice suburbia-area! :thumbsup:

mattb325

Wow, SA. The dead centre of your map (pardon the pun) is huge! I like the fact that your endless suburbs for the living having their conterpart (the endless cemetary) for the departed  $%Grinno$%

Buddhah

This is one of my preferate ever - maybe my preferate. I'm amazed by the deep realistic appearance and sheer beauty of Ensenada.

thundercrack83

Sorry to hear about your "fully-laden real life," my friend. I hope everything is going OK!

These two shots of Ensenada look great, though, by the way! I love the second picture of suburbia, especially! I'll be looking forward to seeing more, as always!

Snaper

It's simply fantastic  :o

It's very realist  :thumbsup:

Cheer for the whole of your work  &apls

rooker1

Good to see you are still alive and well.  Great two pictures and nice little city.  It looks very realistic, just how I like it.  Great work.  I can't wait for more.  (than two.....LOL), please......pretty please.  Okay I guess I have to wait.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Shadow Assassin

Another month, another update. :D

And as always... the Guidebook entry.

It was a dreary afternoon when I arrived in Dom Perivor, by ferry. After being questioned to a great extent by the Savannah Intelligence Service, I was eventually left off the hook and allowed to follow the trail of many of Savannah's greatest myths. I had long since quit my job as an 'investigator', preferring to follow my own path, discovering just what made the myth, and what was real and not real.

So, I asked around in Dom Perivor for more information. It seems that the Perivorians have a myth of their own, something to do with one of the southern islands, which had lay uninhabited for the past sixty years. From the information I had gleaned during the Omega investigation, this coincided with the beginning of the project.

Something told me the locals weren't willing to give up this information so easily. I had to choose my questions carefully. While the locals were quite friendly, there were some things that were not to be talked about. I walked up the Main Street to the general store.

Inside, I asked the shopkeeper a few things.
"Hi, I'm an investigator of modern history and mythology. I'm wondering if you're able to shed light on some of the happenings and myths in this particular region."
"Unfortunately, mate, I can't help you there. Would you like to buy something before you leave?"
Friendly enough, but something wrong about the way he said it was obvious. He knew something that he wasn't about to reveal.

Quite a few of the houses in Dom Perivor were abandoned, as well. I took a look at one of the houses up on the ridge. Large, and otherwise intact, the peeling paint on the house suggested a degree of disrepair.

Normally, whoever owned that house would have taken the furniture with them when they moved away, but the furniture was still there. I looked inside one of the windows, saw that apart from a relatively thick layer of dust, everything was in good condition. I went back to the General Store and re-entered the store. I went to the front counter and rung the bell, as the shopkeeper wasn't there.

Before long, he entered. "You again?", he said.
"Yes, indeed. I was wondering about one of the houses up on the ridge," I pointed to approximately where they were, "Am I able to rent one of these?"
"Ah, Dom Perivor's a dying town. Twenty years ago, the main street was full of people, and there are quite a few houses out in the forest which we demolished and allowed the forest to take over.
"I suppose it's the weather that's chasing people away. I suppose I should tell you about why exactly this is happening..."
"Yes, I'd like to know. I'm currently compiling a book of information about the urban legends and myths of Savannah."
"You're that guy behind the exposure of the Omega project, aren't you?"
"Indeed, I am."
"I'm kind of surprised the government hasn't tried to silence you. Maybe you are the right person to expose what's really been causing the problems in the Hazaria archipelago. Rent for the house is 200 pounds a month. Let me grab the keys."
He left the room. I was satisfied, because I had overcome a hurdle in finding out more. The first step was always the hardest. A few minutes later, he returned, key in hand.
"Here you are. Now, be careful of the fourth stair. I've tried to clean up the house in a condition that resembles some sort of cleanness, but haven't gotten around to painting the place."

I left, key in hand, went back up to the house, and looked around. Everything was in good condition, just mildly dusty. A car was parked in the front yard, but I wouldn't need it. The weather wasn't looking too good, though.

Inside the Church building, seven hooded figures sat at a table, under a single lamp. It was cold and foggy outside, the sort of weather that nobody wants to go outside in. Perfect for a meeting of this nature.
"And with that, let us begin the latest meeting of the Council." One figure said, "Is there anything that anybody wants to bring up?"
Another said, "Someone has been asking questions. The wrong sort."
"What do we do about them?" They all looked at one of the figures, presumably the leader.
"We leave them be. Until they threaten us, we don't act." The leader said.
"Yes. That will be sufficient. Be watchful, though. The island should be left alone by outsiders." The figure said the last word with a certain degree of contempt.

A bolt of lightning cracked across the sky at that moment.

That same bolt of lightning illuminated the Perivor property.

Rain was starting to fall. I had just arrived at the Perivor house. The first place to look regarding any myths was in the library located here. Tastefully renovated, the 300-year-old house was the centrepoint of a massive property that covered the southern part of the island.

Formerly the home of the Duke of Perivor, the office of which has long since been dissolved, the Perivor house was a centre of government for the Hazaria Archipelago. The archipelago, now under the governance of Hazaria, was made up of several tiny duchies, united under the one banner of Perivor.

I knocked on the door using the rather ornate knocker. I waited for a few minutes until someone came to the door. And someone did.

"How may I help you, sir?", the doorman asked.
"I was wondering if I would be able to use the library here. There's some info I want to pick up."
"Sure thing. It's just inside, to the left."

I entered, followed the doorman to the library. I noticed almost instantly that it was spread over two floors, the bottom of which partially underground.

"Do you know where the records are kept for Dom Perivor?"
"They're downstairs."

I walked downstairs, amongst the shelves, until I reached the records section. There were numerous records, most of which were in reasonably good condition.

I picked up a handful of records and went over to the large writing desk nearby and under the dim light of the lamp, I began leafing through them...

TO BE CONTINUED.

An overview of the island of Dom Perivor during some wet weather.

To the next update.

Oh, and as an aside: the busway map for Brackenfell and Greater Midlands: (some people may get minor issues with scrolling sideways)

--SA

Replies:
bat: Thanks!
mattb325: Thanks! Shame your wonderful rowhomes refuse to grow in my city... :(
Buddhah: Thanks!
thundercrack83: Thanks! :P Everything's quieted down a little here, but the peace in the middle of the storm's only temporary, unfortunately.
Nova Vesfalo: Thanks! :P
Snaper: Thanks! :P
rooker1: Thanks. Well, you get *gasp* six images in this update. :P (technically eight, but oh well :P)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Owen Luby

Once again, lovin it SA!

Cool busway network, I see you like Sydney's T-Way netowrk cos it reminds me a lot of it.

&apls &apls
I want SC4 back!!

bat

Great island, SA! Wonderful update and great fog-, rain-effect! Also a wonderful busway map! :thumbsup:

Yoder7652

what a great looking little island...the story is quite interesting. The fog pics are wonderful, mostly done in photoshop?

Badsim

Hi SA ,

Amazing similarity between the real pictures and your work . I don't know in which order you worked on this similitary ... but truely amazing !
Beautiful pictures by a foggy night . :thumbsup:

Although I love that island , considering this ...
Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 26, 2007, 07:36:56 AM

Unfortunately, updates have been VERY sporadic as of late, mainly due to a fully-laden real life. It's a shame, but I have to live with it...

...I Hope you'll not leave us too many time on it . :P

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

thundercrack83

Intriguing...

I love the newspaper and the mysterious little island is outstanding, too! But, I must say that the bus map is my favorite part (I love maps and stuff like that, I'm weird!). Great update as always, SA!