• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jplumbley on July 20, 2007, 06:05:37 PM
It should be possible if you make a RR Crossing texture with the X's to write a few overrides to make is so that when a Straight RHW is next to a RHW-RR intersection that the Straight tile will convert to a RHW RR-X tile.  We would even be able to have the rail crossing props on this tile if need be.  All I need is a texture.

Rick how many textures have you created so far for the RHW?  It may be a good idea to use your set when you get the tweaking done for the re-write.  Alex and I are going to re-write the RHW RUL code for draggable technolgy and have it more organized.

I think I should be 75% done on the current RHW textures that are in the RHW dat.  Still need to make the OWR-RHW connection, and AVE-RHW connection which I have the texture numbers for.  But there are some other pieces I plan on making as well for the RHW that currently don't have texture numbers for them.  Something like having the RHW ending @ a Street/Road/AVE @ a T-intersection.  Also plan on working up more RR-RHW crossings for the diagonal RHW-4 and also some diagonal RR's crossing a straight RHW-4 piece.  And also a Road-RHW junction where the RHW continues.  But I have several ideas to help complete the RHW texture pieces. ;)  I even plan on a better curve so if you want, you can move the RHW over just one tile instead of having to have a 2-tile medium between the RHW-4 textures.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Ryan B.

For anyone wondering what this railroad crossing pavement texture looks like in the real world:

This image is taken from the United States Federal Highway Administration's Standard Highway Signs Book, page 10-15 of the 'Pavement Markings' section.

Shadow Assassin

I have to ask, though, why are there railroad crossings on highways?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Ennedi

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on July 20, 2007, 08:13:02 PM
I have to ask, though, why are there railroad crossings on highways?

True  :D :D :D also in less developed countries  ;D
I'm afraid the RHW/RR crossing needs some work to make a viaduct - imagine these traffic jams, hard swearing and riots at the one-level crossing  ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Swamper77

Not to mention that if we were to add crossing gates to it, they will not work even with the stop points defined. Since the ANT/RHW has the characteristics of a highway, none of the traffic on it will stop when a train runs through the crossing. It has something to do with how the network is defined in the EXE. &mmm

-Swamper77
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Shadow Assassin

Oh yay. Another way for the Sims to kill themselves, courtesy of the NAM. :P Just drive through, without stopping to check if a freight train's coming by...

(that includes the elevated roadways being able to be plopped in water)

;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

hconline

There generally aren't RR X-ings on a highway anyways.
Life is like a butterfly, ephemeral, yet beautiful beyond belief. -Me

Ennedi

But I think such signs have sense in the highway's surrounding (entrances, exits, service roads). Maybe this is the reason of putting them to the "Standard Highway Signs Book"? It would have sense also in SC4, if these additional roads would have the same texture as the main RHW?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

bulldog2010

Yea, I have seen at-grade railroad crossings here in the U.S. before, but they were not on an interstate-type highway with exits and interchanges, just on regular four lane divided highways.  I agree with what Ennedi said in that it all depends on what type of highway it is.

thundercrack83

I don't think that the railroad crossings are meant to cross interstate highways, rather regular state highways. In PA, there are hundreds of different places where railroads cross state highways directly, and this type of marking is used in those circumstances. I think this is what they are going for in this situation, but I'm not sure.

DFire870

I'm pretty sure that by law there can't be at-grade railroad crossings on interstate highways, because of their purpose. With other roads it's fine (I think they're allowed on US Routes, but I'm not sure).
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Swamper77

Quote from: DFire870 on July 21, 2007, 03:54:06 PM
I'm pretty sure that by law there can't be at-grade railroad crossings on interstate highways, because of their purpose. With other roads it's fine (I think they're allowed on US Routes, but I'm not sure).
Depends on the traffic volume of both the highway and the railway. On US 2 out here in Washington State, they build bridges over one another, depending on location. Sometimes the railroad goes over, other times under the road.

-Swamper77
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

simzebu

Well, there aren't supposed to be. I'm sure there is one somewhere; every law in the US has an exception. That's just how we roll. There actually was an at-grade crossing on I-87 just north of Albany, though I don't know if it was I-87 yet before they got rid of it.

Anyway, the RHW isn't necessarily an Interstate. I can think of two roads in my area that look like RHW (Sligerlands bypass and that other bypass, Rt. 32 from 9W to Elm in Bethlehem). Neither has a rail crossing, but it's just for the point. I say make the crossing as realistic as possible, and if you don't want it, don't use it.
Known as Embolalia in numerous other places.

Penguins, Python, and Programming, oh my!

thundercrack83

US-11 in PA goes right through the town where I live, and crosses over railroad tracks. But, as Swamper77 and simzebu pointed out, I think that each state has different ways of doing it.

Zaphod

I-45 south of houston had a grade crossing a long long time ago I think

Anyways, I agree its not realistic, but then again maybe for game purposes then Im for them

Hmm....You know if maybe that the crossings wouldnt work, then omit them, and make the road around the rails look all worn to give the impression that the tracks are lightly used industrial spurs and that a bridge wasnt necessary.

War Kittens !?

blunderclod

Many many years ago, US 45 heading NW of Milwaukee was a multilane freeway. There was one at grade rail road crossing on the freeway. I remember this crossing well, as it struck me a bit odd to see a railroad crossing on a freeway.
Now a days, I look at satellite images and see that now there is a railroad bridge that spans over the freeway.
But at one time, it was an at grade crossing.

- blunderclod aka Susan Marie

riponite

Blunderclod is quite correct.

I know that stretch of road (US 41/45) very well.  I have traveled it often through the years.  At the time it was an "Expressway", a Wisconsin term for a divided highway with freeway speeds and a combination of at-grade and limited access intersections/interchanges.  There used to be a number of "at-grade" railroad crossing on that road, but they since have either been removed or bridged.  In one case they built the freeway under the tracks instead of over them.  Big mistake!!!  There is almost always flooding after a big downpour at that RR overpass (located on US 41 in Fond du Lac)  They are currently converting US 41/45 into I-41 - at least that is the word on the street.  In any case, WisDOT is certainly doing a lot of work on that road. 

US 151 is an example one of these Wisconsin "Expressways".  If you drive to Beaver Dam (WI), you will find an "at-grade" railroad crossing surrounded by road overpasses.  The speed limit on that stretch of road is 65 mph.  In every other way, that Beaver Dam bypass is Interstate Class, except for this RR-Xing.  It's strange, but true. 

So, having an "at-grade" RR crossing is appropriate to recreate rural Wisconsin "Expressways", but maybe not appropriate for the recreation of freeway/Interstate class hyways.  I am happy that the at-grade RR crossing are there for my purposes.   :)  Thanks for working on them.

Cheers,
Riponite

Quote from: blunderclod on July 22, 2007, 08:03:43 AM
Many many years ago, US 45 heading NW of Milwaukee was a multilane freeway. ... -  blunderclod

Pat

There is anther stretch of RR-Xing at grade along 45 at least it was about last year in the vincinty of Port Washington... Well its not in Port Washington but along the way to i cant recall the city name as i only went
threw there twice, once going to Port and the other Leaving Port back to Summit Lake....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

BigSlark

In Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana divided highways are built to the same standards as interstates, except for the whole "limited access" thing, which means there could be a grade crossing.

I was on US 61 north of Baton Rogue, LA earlier today and there is an industrial spur that crosses a four lane divided highway that has a few road overpasses.

If you look at the pavement and markings for US 49 and I-55 south of Jackson, MS they're exactly the same.

That's why I made the suggestion, so that all situations would able to be recreated with RHW.

Sorry if I caused any controversy.

Cheers,
Kevin

Haljackey

Well, if you don't want at-grade rain intersections, there exists an alternative with the latest version.  Use the raised rail (not to be confused with elevated rail) puzzle pieces included with the NAM and press TAB until you find the rail over RHW piece.  This will grade-separate the two networks.  A picture follows below:

Hopefully this will solve all of these "standards" for real/in game highway networks! ;)