• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenni

wait, is that RHW that Shadow Assasin made , made with the one way tool?  ??? awesome!

Tarkus

Glenni, I'm not entirely certain since I haven't seen any more than you, but I believe what Shadow Assassin showed is actually a new set of textures for the currently existing RHW, which would mean they're drawn through the ANT, not the One-Way Road tool.  The reason the One-Ways are in the pic is because he wanted to show how the One-Ways transition to the RHW and vice-versa, and how the textures match up color-wise.

-Alex

Tarkus

(Sorry for the double post, but I felt in this case it was necessary.)

The updated version of RHW v13 Beta has been uploaded to the SC4D/BSC LEX.  Here's what has been included:

-Fixed NAM Diagonal Street Plugin issues
-Improved ANT-RHW conversion and RHW draw time (thanks to Shadow Assassin)
-Incorporated GLR Neighbor Connection compatibility (mainly to avoid conflict with the recently released mod, which uses the same RUL file)

Hopefully, this one will work better for everyone. ;)

-Alex

Shadow Assassin

Interesting. I actually didn't have any problems with the diagonal streets... But then again, my plugins folder was empty, with only the NAM and terrain mod in it. :P

Well, all the textures have been done (with the exception of the rail textures), but I'll probably modify the OW-RHW transition a little bit more. It actually kind of looks a little odd, IMO.

All that's needed in the transition is a modification of the alpha map.

I'll do the RHWMIS textures as soon as v14 or v17 comes out with them.

EDIT: All I've done is touched the textures. I haven't touched the RULs, SC4 paths, overrides, or exemplars - just the textures. If I had retextured the OWs, it would've involved a huge, huge number of overrides, and I actually quite like the existing texture for the one-way roads. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

memo

@Alex: I've just had a look at the files myself and seems that there is an extra copy of the RUL file 0x10000002 in the diagonal streets plugin. Anyway, this is the most updated one because it contains overrides for the new diagonal streets. Maybe you could use this file as a base for the RHW. :)

@Shaddow Assassin: The transition to oneway roads indeed looks somewhat unrealistic, since I've never seen semi-transparent tarmac. ;) Other than that the textures look excellent. :thumbsup:

Tarkus

memo, you're correct.  I hadn't really poked around in there, so I hadn't seen that--thanks for pointing that out. :thumbsup:  From what I've already heard from the people having the problem, removing the 0x10000001 from the RHW .dat actually seems to have alleviated the problem for them (it worked for me as well), but it may be too early to really tell.  I'll get the RHW stuff into the new RUL just to be on the safe side.

And Shadow Assassin, thanks again for doing those textures, and as soon as I have a little more RHWMIS stuff, I'll send it your way for asphalting/internationalizing. ;)

-Alex

metasmurf

When will there be textures for roadconnection/one way roads? I think its absolutely essential, atleast for me before I can start using RHW for real. I saw quirlix posting some pics a long time ago over at ST with oneway on/offramps that looked really good. whatever happend to thouse?

Tarkus

metasmurf, unfortunately, a lot of that stuff has been delayed.  qurlix, who was going to include those things in the RHW v17 release that he was working on by himself, has been MIA since February.  The RHW v13 Beta that I just released was mainly to address the whole NAM-compatibility issue, which v17 was originally intended to address.  The v13 release was not originally in the plans, but was necessitated due to these factors, and was mainly intended as a "quick fix" for the NAM-compatibility issue, with a few small additions (like the new puzzle pieces).  I mainly just wanted to "get it out the door", so that the public had a NAM-compatible RHW, since they had been waiting 4 months, and I'm sorry that I couldn't have included more &mmm

The next release, RHW v14, however, will be a much more complete release, and it will come out simultaneously with the next NAM, so there isn't a gap in time between having a new NAM and a new RHW that's compatible with it, as happened this time around.  I'm trying to cram as much new stuff as possible into this release, and you'll more than likely see the RHWMIS in some form.  I also agree with you that those at-grade crossings are essential, and I would like to include them in the v14 release as well. 

As far as those One-Way On/Off Ramps that qurlix had, I personally feel that they're kind of unnecessary at this point because of the RHWMIS, so I don't plan on replicating those.  From what I've seen, the only reason people had been using OWRs to make interchanges was as an interim solution to deal with the lack of any sort of interchange setup for the RHW. 

Hope that answers your questions.  There will be some more new RHW stuff soon. ;)

-Alex 

Shadow Assassin

I've changed the menu icons for the RHW, as well as the LTEXT files. As the 2 lane RHW hasn't been done (this is for freeways), I'm not gonna touch it. :P.

But if you want, I can remove the LTEXT file, and leave the description as-is.

Oh, and Tarkus: little hint if you're having problems with white edges on your puzzle pieces - use a shade of grey that's most similar to the actual road texture. If possible, avoid using black, as it'll also appear odd.

Otherwise, it's all good. :P
New Horizons Productions

Tarkus

Shadow Assassin, that's an awesome job on the buttons there!  Would you mind if I used them in the next RHW release?

Excellent job on the LTEXT as well--looks like it would work for the two-lane as well.  I think that it perhaps would work best if it were included with your asphalt texture mod. 

And thanks for the suggestion on the transparency issue as well--I'll try that out when I have a little time to mess around with it. ;)

Superb work as always!

-Alex

Shadow Assassin

Not at all! I don't mind, that is. :P

I'll just put them into a blank exemplar file and upload them, so it's just an easy drop-n-replace for you in iLive's reader. :P As for the 2L mod, I'll see what I can do. I can do replacement textures easily, because I have the PSD files for both straights and diagonals. I'll probably just use double lines/dashed lines (except they'd most probably be white, since these are well, based on Australian road markings). Unless people want me to use just dashed lines?

This is a typical Rural highway in Australia. The precise state of the road may vary, though. :P

That's what they'd most likely look like. I've got a little experience with Type 21 exemplars, so I could easily put those posts on the side (just 1 or 2 minutes in the BAT, is all). It'd be optional, of course.

By the way, if people are wondering where I got the road markings from, here is a photo showing these markings.

These photos were taken on Melbourne's M80.
New Horizons Productions

Yoman

Shadow Assassin

Tarkus, I've attached my menu icons and LTEXT file to my post.

Note to all: this small zip file does not include any of the textures I've been working on. I should have them finalised this weekend, and then it's likely I'll have to temporarily stop work on them because I have an assessment period coming up soon (meaning no modding time for about 3-4 weeks (till the end of May), as I'll be busy completing my final assessments before I do my Trial HSC and HSC, which are the final exams of 13 years schooling.  ;D Yay.)

Meanwhile, Tarkus, have fun with the menu icons. As I said, it should be a simple matter for you to drag and drop. ;)
New Horizons Productions

Bongoswimp

I'm amazed to see that your australian highways look very similar to ours in switzerland.
Now if you added safety fences as in your RL pics, it would be perfect for me.

Great work overall!  &apls
I'm the Knight of Spamalot
And I like to push the pram a lot

cammo2003

I had a feeling those were Melbournian markings. I knew I'd seen the road markings in photos before, but couldn't place them (though I knew they were definitely Australian). Given the popularity of the ERTM, I'd suspect that this texture mod would be very, very popular. For those of us that use the no-oneway road arrows mod, the transition between these new textures and the OWR's will be virtually seamless.

Tarkus

Shadow Assassin, thanks for the new icons!  They're definitely going to be in the next RHW release. ;)  And those asphalt textures actually look a lot like a lot of highways here in the US, aside from the dual white lines instead of the yellow on one side.  It sounds like it's the same with the 2-lane textures as well.  Best of luck with all your exams as well!   ;)

Well, everyone, I figured I'd post the plans for the future RHW releases:

As far as what I'm planning for RHW v14, here's what you can expect:

Things which will definitely be a part of RHW v14

* Compatibility with the next NAM release
    * Solution to the double-icon issue (thanks to memo)
    * New icons by Shadow_Assassin
    * New texture options (multiple ones will be included in the download, you'll just select the one you want through the installer)
    * New optional HSRP-over-RHW crossing, for those using the HSRP beta mod.

Things which will likely be a part of RHW v14

* An initial version of the RHWMIS
    * An initial version of the Elevated RHW
    * RHW-over-Network puzzle pieces (both Orthogonal and Diagonal)
    * New at-grade (surface-level) intersections for Roads and One-Way Roads
    * Diagonal Network-over-RHW puzzle pieces

Things which will likely be a part of RHW v15

* Wider RHWs (up to 10 lanes, 5 per direction)
    * Double-decker RHW
    * Further RHWMIS developments (ongoing)

Ongoing things dependant on other releases

* Underground RHW and RHWMIS (will be released simultaneously with Big Dig/RHWMIS Portal)
    * Further NAM compatibility fixes (will be released as the NAM Team releases further updates to which the RHW needs to be added)
    * Puzzle pieces to interface with other Network Widening Mod (NWM) expanded networks, like the OWR-5 and TLA-7 (will be released as soon as the NWM mods are released)
    * Updates to allow compatibility with any other new transit mod that alters the RUL files (will be released as necessary)

When will RHW v14 be released?

RHW v14 will be released at the same time as the new NAM features.  The next "NAM" won't be so much a "NAM" as much as a bunch of new features created by the NAM Team.  (ArkenbergeJoe and Andreas Roth have developed a new strategy for NAM releases which will allow for quicker releases of new features.)

And of course, the NAM Team has a no release date policy (we like to surprise people), so I can't give an exact date.  But the RHW will be released at the same time as the new NAM features--no waiting this time.

What happened to RHW v17?

RHW v17 is indefinitely delayed.  However, some of its features have been incorporated into RHW v13, while others will be released as part of RHW v14 and v15.

Hope that answers some questions. ;)

-Alex

Filasimo

um....thats a plateful can i have seconds?  :D
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Tarkus

Filasimo, lol . . .  :D

Couple things I accidentally omitted from my release update post.  In addition to the releases I mentioned, there are a number of associated projects which will be released as well.  These include Fukuda's and HabLeUrG's bridges, and the new overpasses and underpasses by blahdy and HabLeUrG. 

In addition, Alidonkey has made some fantastic new puzzle pieces, including the long-anticipated RHW-4/RHW-2 connector, which will likely figure into one of the next couple releases.

-Alex

rickmastfan67

I want to let you guys know, I'm working with Tarkus to updated the current style RHW pieces.  The additions to them will be this:

• Brighter paint; Both the Yellow and White lines will be upgrade to show up better and to be more realistic
  • Highway reflectors; I've created a highway reflector to go in between the middle lane divider lines

There is no timetable to when I'll have all of the normal pieces upgraded because RL can always throw a curve at ya when you can least predict it.

But, here's a preview shot of the one title that I have done so you guys can see what it will look like. ;)

-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Colyn

Good work here guys ... I appreciate it.
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play