• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Marsh's Swamp (Random things I am working on.)

Started by marsh, December 31, 2010, 01:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greckman

Looks fantastic Marsh! I can't wait. That big corner cul-de-sac looks really good.
CLICK to see my MD on SC4D: Towncrafter's World - The Cities and Towns of greckman

marsh

Not necessarily modding. Mostly Loting. :P
But I've lotted most of Girafe's French roadsigns.

linky

:thumbsup:

marsh

I'm very unsure whether or not I will ever finish my Desert terrain mod. I know some people want it, so for those that do, I've uploaded the unfinished mod to mediafire. [Linky] Not that great but whatever. Maybe some will find it useful. &mmm I may upload the rock & beach mods for it too, but that shall come another day.

,marsh

marsh

Been playing with night/sunset & day colors. Kinda fun.

*makes blood red skies. :P

It's a big image so just click the link- Pic

Only problem is it does this once I change the png. out. .

(That's PEG's brigatine water mod)
This has to be the weirdest bug I've ever seen. ???

apeguy

Bug or not, that would still make a good water mod for swamps and rivers. ;)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

marsh

At the moment I'm trying to work on a tree controller. I've replaced the maxis tree controller with girafe's trees, although I'm unsure of what to do next. Does anyone know how to add more trees in? I have a feeling it has something to do with the instance but I haven't figured that out yet while playing with it on my own.

noahclem

Glad to hear you've been working on that tree controller, it would be a great thing to have! Unfortunately I'm not able to offer any technical advice on that  $%Grinno$%

That's quite the effect you've created tweaking with the night/twilight colors  &apls  And the yellow water bug makes me laugh--perhaps too many small children swimming?  :D

Keep up the great work, I'll be especially looking forward to updates on the tree controller.

marsh

The only "update" at the moment is I have girafe's trees. I'll get some pics once I figure out how to add more trees. :P

marsh

Another question I have. Does anyone happen to know where in the .dat files the maxis trees are located? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

,marsh

Simcitler

you will find them in simcity1.dat

easiest way to find them:
open Reader
click on simcity1.dat
click on Analyser
choose tree view
click Search
you will find your exemplars in the Flora&Fauna section

marsh

Thanks for that. I found them through some trial and error. :P

This is what I'm working on.

A maxis tree replacer. Although I'm still experimenting with the types of trees I should use. I'm thinking of making a separate one with just girafe trees. I know c.p. has one, but his grow as saplings just like the maxis trees. Something I've always disliked. Tell me what you think. Suggestions, ect...

Girafe

Idea is good, lot of people asked me to exported my trees separetely for this kind of modding or street mod. I began but it's a long job and don't have so much time  /wrrd%&

try to re-size c.p. trees with cogeo's tool above all the heigh, it could harmonize at least the scale...
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

marsh

Well I went through a lot of trees and decided the best ones to use. The (I forget the name :-[) trees by matt b as a replacement for the maxis oaks. Simfox's chestnuts to replace the palms. (I was thinking of doing palms but decided against it. Not many people use those) And I replaced the pines with CPs' small larches.

I was contemplating making a street tree mod with those trees or similar ones. To blend in better than the CP ones the SFBT mod uses. I'll see about it. ;)

Tell me what you think.  :)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/26804-maxis-tree-replacement-mod/

apeguy

Tested the tree replacement mod today, and your choice of trees are good, they're far more realistic than the Maxis ones.

Nice work. :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Ol.S / Benoit

This is really good, thanks a lot !

Just loaded a city and your mod makes some older creations looks really better ! Like Jeronij Walls etc etc... No palms is also a good thing, for most of us I guess :)

Thanks again, I keep an eye on your thread, and good luck with your already amazing MD !
Benoit.
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

cubby420

Hi Marsh!

Long time no chat. This is a great piece of work you've built here.

One questions - if I load the SFBT street tree mod with the Maxis deciduous, pine, and palm options, why won't your mod replace the maxis trees on the street?

marsh

Thank you all. :D

cubby: I'm not sure. I've never used that one since for me it didn't just put maxis trees down, but some other random ones too for some reason. I also recently noticed that when looking at some trees they're not replaced. (It seems to be only street trees) I'll look into it. :)

cubby420

Good man...I expect an answer right away!  ::)

Andreas

The SFBT Street Tree Mod is using a single prop family that is placed on all the various types of streets (low/medium/high density zones, mostly residential, but also a couple of commercial and farm zones). Furthermore, I created new exemplar files (tree prop families) for various types of trees (Maxis palms/deciduous/pines, CP deciduous/pines/firs/..., PEG pines). This means that if you install more than one of the tree prop families, all included trees will show up randomly. If you want to restrict the mod to a certain type of tree, remove all but one of those files. The DAT files are included in the SFBT Street Tree Mod, and also in the SFBT Essentials, since there are quite a few SFBT lots that make use of those families. Naturally, you should install all dependencies of the tree prop families that you used, otherwise you might get the infamous brown boxes.

To make a long story short, if you want to replace the trees that are placed with the SFBT Street Tree Mod, you need to override those exemplar files. Ideally, you select a number of trees that you like to grow along the streets, create a new set of prop exemplar files for them (with individual IDs), and use the very same prop family. Remove all other tree prop family DATs from your plugins folder, then only the new trees should show up. I chose this way when designing the mod, as changing trees is very simple with the process described above, and you can switch to another set of trees at any time (you just need to click with the street tool on your streets every few tiles in order to update them with the new trees).

There is another way to replace trees, and that one will even update all trees that exist in a city without a single click, though. This is the method that I used for creating the SFBT Tree Replacement Mod that changes all Maxis trees to Cycledogg's trees (I tried my best to find CP trees in similar dimensions for all Maxis trees, so they won't cut in existing buildings, but naturally, my selection was somewhat limited back then). What I did was using a copy of the prop exemplar files, but without changing the ID, but changing the Resource Key Type 1 property that references to the actual tree model. This is quite elegant as well, but restricts the trees to a single set (one replacement tree for every original Maxis one), while the Street Tree Mod allows mixed setups with prop families.
Andreas

Evillions8

Are those images the future updates for your CJ?  :P ???

Anyways, nice work!  I won't use them for reasons, but I do like to use them some time.