• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

VDK Tranports Inc.

Started by vester, January 19, 2012, 09:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

romualdillo

Looks great!!  :thumbsup: Perhaps the textures need more contrast (compared to the original image) IMHO.  :-[

Simcoug

I am super excited about the old train cars - can't wait to see your next update  :thumbsup:

vester

Quote from: romualdillo on December 21, 2014, 04:59:19 PM
Perhaps the textures need more contrast (compared to the original image) IMHO.  :-[

Like this:

romualdillo

I think it looks better. (IMHO) The new windows look great!!  :thumbsup:

vortext

Great progress!  :thumbsup:

Something seems strange with the stairs though. .  &Thk/(

I'm thinking either they need an alpha, as they were probably just a few planks or even a rod, like this.

Or maybe they could modeled as proper stairs, like this.

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

vester

Thank you, romualdillo.

Erik, mind that you are looking at something up close and in game it will be not very big detail.
It has been bothering me as well, but will leave that for later when I have seen it in game.
Thinking back at the stairs on the Maxis car ferry / large ferry, then we will have to wait for have it look in game.
The stairs on that was even simpler in the textures. Maybe I need to make the holes darker..... but waiting....

Been mostly working on the general AO-maps.
Then I will start modeling the details, like I showed on the previous page.

Here is an overview of the different roof shape I plan to do:

Please ignore the strange shadow on the roof. The black rectangles on the first cars is where "the holes" are on the carriage (made with alpha) you see in my previous post.

Looking at that last picture you posted, I am a bit surprice that is more or less the first picture with any sort of
elaborate painted pattern. So far I have seen is what is more or less in my American Passenger Cars.
Most of them have quite plain paint job, some lines, and "band" of color around the windows.

vester

Here is what I am working on now:

Time to close of the open platforms with some railling.

c.p.

Nice modelling so far. :thumbsup:  I imagine those aren't very easy shapes to make (especially the multiple curves on the roofs).

romualdillo

I guess it's the AO-map. It really works fine on low poly objects!!  :thumbsup: But looking at the shadows: Do the windows really go out as the shadows seem to indicate? I mean, shouldn't they have the same shadow map as the upper windows?  :-[ (Perhaps they're not finished)

vester

Romualdillo: Had and extra look of what comes out of these renderings.
Need to go and fetch a tga image file from a max folder.

Brian: I am not modeling the details on a double curved surface.
Have a look at this post.

This is how the detail model looks like:

Quite flat, compared to the result.

The lower part of the roof is on a seperate model.

romualdillo

I didn't express myself very well, but I think you did understand what I meant!!  :D I really want to know where does this experiment lead!!

vester

What I could see and you couldn't was that it had some hightlights where it should shadow.

Ambient Occupation:  Imagine a general light source with no general direction or source point. AO is the shadow from the object shadowing for each other. Its there, but its hard to see and noticed, but you use it to see the smaller details around you.

Will add real shadows later on in Photoshop and colors as well.
Also there is a few details I left for later, but the modelling part is done for now.

Simcoug

vester

Thank you Simcoug.

Been working on modeling the next car:

Here is my inspiration:

romualdillo

vester

Thank you Daniel.

An quick update:

romualdillo

Occlusion maps... Incredible!!  &apls I think those Pullman cars will be running through my cities as soon as you upload them...  ;)

vester

Added a model, a reworked version of the previous car:

For once a splash of colors... not finale...

Plan to do a car with both ends closed of.

noahclem

I love your work on these historic models Arne  &apls &apls

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    *