• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Dat Packer

Started by wouanagaine, January 16, 2007, 05:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wouanagaine

Quote from: meldolionsecond, and more strangely I reinstalled the plugin, and the files above were readable with the Reader, then after running the packer they weren't...
SC4DatPacker does not touch a bit in your files. It only read them, no changes are made. Check the date/time of thoses files
Eventually they can still be "locked", so look in taskmanager ( ctrl-alt-sup ) in the processes tab, if SC4DatPacker is still running ?

pvarcoe, nice results :). May I suggest you edit your SC4 shortcut ( right click, properties ), so that the Target line  looks like that :
"C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -intro:off
It will remove that stupid video
The " are compulsary. Obviously change the path if you have not installed it in the default path

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

pvarcoe

Cool suggestion. I will do that.
That intro has always been annoying.
Thanks!

meldolion

Quote from: wouanagaine on January 23, 2007, 01:45:55 PM
SC4DatPacker does not touch a bit in your files. It only read them, no changes are made. Check the date/time of thoses files
Eventually they can still be "locked", so look in taskmanager ( ctrl-alt-sup ) in the processes tab, if SC4DatPacker is still running ?

Solved!!! Strangely when moving Jerony's files from it's default install path to where I usually store it the owner changed from my user to unknown user... %confuso .... Windows Misteries &Thk/(
Now everything works perfectly!!! thanks for the support

Edit: I think it has to do with the fact that the path to the files in 230 characters long, the filename is longer than 25 characters that makes the absolutefilename longer than 255 characters, thus causing windows some problem to handle the file... The game tought doesn't have any problem to use these files......

thundercrack83

Wouanagaine: I found it. Thanks for your help!

wouanagaine

meldolion, the game may refer the file relative to the plugins folder, hence the path is shorter, but good point
thundercrack83, you're welcome

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jeronij

Reading and taking notes...  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Tidalpool

#?¿?¿?$

I understand the directions to move all the subfolders except Plugins_Compressed to Start Up Manger (SUM) plugins disabled folder!

When using SUM to open a region in SC4, if the subfolders are just placed into the plugins disabled folder they will go back into the plugins folder. Right? They did for me.  So I made a folder inside the plugins disabled folder.  That works, however since I have Plugins_Compressed in my Plugins my settings for the different regions are invalid using the SUM.
Here is my question's:
What am I doing wrong?
What is the proper way to use SC4 Dat Packer along with StartupManager?

It is is hard to put into words, hope everyone can understand what I am asking and what my dillemma is!

Thanks in advance for any advice/help that you may give.

Tidalpool
"Life's a beach, go walk on the sand"

Tidalpool

M4346

I have to say that I am eternally in debt to you! The DAT Packer is not only an AMAZING tool, but it has played a major role in getting me back to SC4 after I got irritated with the immense loading times!

Thank you VERY, VERY much for this, it has saved my SC4-life! :D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

wouanagaine

Tidalpool, I will leave this issue to someone more experienced than me with SUM, ( Barbyw are you here ? )

M4346, thx

New Horizons Productions

Wyldone

Bravo, Wouanagaine! This DATPAcker of yours is AWESOME! This little program that helps clean up anythin' redundant is by far one of the best tools I've ever seen, I think it could even be BETTER, so I would just like to make one little suggestion. I've noticed everytime I use this program, there must be a list of stuff to locate 'n backup. I'd suggest lookin' for anythin' redundant, and not just focusin' on BSC, which can still pack up a lot of the plugins. But, really, there's sooo much more out there that people download, so I think it would be best to make stages of updates, workin' with almost everythin' available. It's a big 'n dirty job, but someone's gotta do it. I think it'd be a GREAT DEED to do this for us. Think 'bout it, 'n thanx again!

wouanagaine

I think it could even be BETTER, so I would just like to make one little suggestion. I've noticed everytime I use this program, there must be a list of stuff to locate 'n backup. I'd suggest lookin' for anythin' redundant, and not just focusin' on BSC, which can still pack up a lot of the plugins
I think you're talking about the BSC Cleanitol TM?
The name is BSC because the idea grew in the brain of Colyn, that does not means it only focus on BSC releases only, everyone can write a cleanitol file ( I know I have not provide any info, but opening the file on notepad, you can get some clues :) )

Or I have not understand what you mean, and by that time, it can be the case  ???

New Horizons Productions

Tidalpool

QuoteBarbyW said: I then set up SUM to only load that plus the root plugin files (as they aren't compressed) and separately check off the terrain mod, radical mods etc that I want to use from the main program plugins folder. I also have a separate set up for making lots with the separate prop and texture packs in place and another for making descs in PIM. SUM does all the moving for me and loads the game without the intro and in a window if I want.

After rereading this comment from BarbywI think my answer to my previous comment is to move the terrain modes and any other folder that i want to toggle off or on to the Maxis main program plugins folder.

Thanks,
Tidalpool

:-\
Figuring it all out!  Really like the idea of this "little program".
"Life's a beach, go walk on the sand"

Tidalpool

spacez52

I am guessing that something this cool for SC4 could not be Mac compatible  &mmm but does anyone know if there is a long shot for it to become Mac compatible? It sounds very helpful !

Bishop Hawke

This new program sounds like just what I need to make SC4 work decent again. Ah one question..

Where do yo download it from? #?¿?¿?$

I have looked upon the LEX and do not see it listed. Is there a site I need to go to?

Duh  Forget everything in this post. I found it. &Thk/(

thundercrack83

I'm not sure if anyone has come across this problem or not, but if it's already been addressed, I apologize for being redundant. Upon using the Dat Packer, I keep getting the following message:

SC4 Dat Packer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

It's happened at random times, so I don't know if it's something in my Plugins folder or what. Any help would be appreciated.

snorrelli

Quote from: thundercrack83 on January 24, 2007, 08:35:22 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has come across this problem or not, but if it's already been addressed, I apologize for being redundant. Upon using the Dat Packer, I keep getting the following message:

SC4 Dat Packer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

It's happened at random times, so I don't know if it's something in my Plugins folder or what. Any help would be appreciated.

I was having this problem as well. Every time the packer would get to BSC Mega Prop Pack RT vol 1, it would shut down. I re-downloaded and reinstalled the prop pack and it worked. Maybe it was a corrupt file of some sort?
Have you ever had the Prop Pox? Join us to help find a vaccine or a cure.

Totuna e dac-ai murit flăcău ori moş îngârbovit;
Dar nu-i totuna leu să mori ori câine-nlănţuit.

wouanagaine

Bishop Hawke, you have not browse enough, here it is

thundercrack83 & snorrelli, a corrupted file may cause that problem. also 512 Mb RAM may come a little small if you have almost everything BSC has released, because the full compressed BSC is above 600Mb
what I suggest is that you try to find if the error always occurs at the same folder/file, then if you find the offending file, open it with datgen or reader, and with reader browse thru all entries to see if it can show them

New Horizons Productions

Serkanner

I have mentioned elsewhere how happy I am with the great program ( and by the looks of it I am not the only one ), but I would like to state again how wonderful SC4 runs now. I can also refer to the zoom crash ... it hasn't happened once, even when I tried to force it.

However I also do have a question related to the program ( not a problem, just a question ).

Some files need to be loaded last into the game to work properly. Some NAM files for instance. Can DatPacker distinguish these "z" files or is it wise to keep those "z" out of the one Dat file created by the program?

GMT

got a problem!

I'm getting this error message everytime I'm running the datpacker:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 517, in OnStart
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 291, in RecurseAllFilesFull
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 98, in __init__
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 130, in ReadEntries
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 29, in __init__
struct.error: unpack str size does not match format

what is it and what can i do to solve it?

... really, it is. I swear.

wouanagaine

Serkanner => The tool load and pack the folders and files in the same order as SC4 will read them, so you do not need to have special managment for those kind of mod.

GMT => Seems like yuo have a corrupted dat/sc4Lot/sc4Models/SC4Desc file, try to see waht the progress bar was displaying when the error occured, and locate the file. try to open it in reader or datGen ( if in reader, try to browse all the entries ). if it is corrupted datgen will crash when opening the file, reader will crash when trying to display the corrupted entry

I will try to make an update for better pointing various case of corrupting files

New Horizons Productions