• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Marsh's Swamp (Random things I am working on.)

Started by marsh, December 31, 2010, 01:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evillions8

As a SimMars team member, we would love to have your version of the terrain than what we have.  Ours is like that 2004 version of a Middle Eastern desert.  :D  Anyways, I love your modding works!  Please release them, all of us can benefit from this.  :)

marsh

Kodlovag: Well the controllers look great! I am work on one and see how it goes. Also I would love those textures you have. :)

Evillions: Thank you. If I ACTUALLY made a terrain mod for Simmars I would use more than 1 texture though...  ::)

Lowkee33

How many textures does SimMars have anyway?  I guess the big question is, how much memory would the team want to spend one textures?  I bet Mars could be looking real good with 4 2048x2048 textures (which would be near 40mb).

@Kodlovag:  The self planting is turned off by default.  Cycledogg's mods have it set to 1, but even then it is one tree every 2 years (of pre mayor mode).  I only knew it was working while I was testing seasonal terrain mods.

I do plan to make a seasonal tree controller, but it is pretty resource intensive changing a god-mode amount of trees.  Another idea would be to make something like what Marsh has done, but I hear that this causes crashes?  Not really sure why, although it may have been the cause of crashes I was having a while ago.  

@Marsh, sorry for pushing your thread in different directions.  Keep up the good work :)

travismking

I know this is marsh's thread, and I really like that desert terrain mod, But Kodlovag's tree controller looks AMAZING! Do you have any plans to release it when its finished? I Would really like to use it, as now i plant almost that exact variety of trees in Mayor mode in my forests, and its quite time consuming and hurts my mouse hand  :D

marsh

Pushing my thread in other directions isn't bothering me one bit. I love seeing what other people are doing. And Lowkee, you've actually been helping me out a lot answering questions.  :D

Here is another rock mod I made. Tell me what you think.

travismking

I like that one better than the original marsh, looks nice :)

kodlovag

I more like the first version. You just decrease the repetition a bit.

I sent you the sand textures. They have the same size format as the Pyrenean textures by Orange, and the ID ranges are compatible.
I collected the textures from the net, and made them seamless and created the zooms.
I'm using Tex66 for my beaches. See the tree controller images, however the beach line is very thin there. I also made a blueish version for underwater texture. Looks nice when combined with a dark blue deep see texture.
Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

Lowkee33

I like the textures.  An important thing to test is to make sure your cliff looks good in all rotations too.  From that rotation, the vertical lines look good.  Rotate 90 degrees, and they will be horizontal along the cliff.

Orange's textures are made for a TerrainTexTilingAmount of .1.  I wouldn't recommend sticking with the format of his zooms though, and believe they should all be the same size.  The reason for the size change was to lower file size, and not really wanted.  The Pyrenean mod that we have is a significantly toned down version of the original plan.  (I think  :-[

Quote from: marsh on April 10, 2011, 02:02:15 AMLike dunes. I need to modify the texture so that when you change zoom they stay more or less the same size.

I have a different approach to zooms.  Using my carpet as an example:  Looking at it very close I each strand of fabric.  As I move my head away I loose the strands, but I do see that the strands form clumps.  Going further away I loose the clumps, but I do see the pattern of the vacuum cleaner (I wish).

My point is that although those strands did get smaller at first, my eyes began to pick up other (more relative) patterns.  A zoom 0 texture can have just as much detail as a zoom 4, just different sized details.

Evillions8

You're right marsh, it would have to have different elevation textures and a rock mod. 

As for your newest rock mod, I like that more than the first one.  It looks more natural.  :)

marsh

Lowkee: Thank you for that tip. That will surely help me out.

kodlovag: I have to say, those sand textures are awesome.

I've used them in this picture.

marsh

A bit more progress on the cliffs. I have gotten the textures to blend better with the terrain, and also worked on different zooms.

Also have changed kodlovag's textures blending properties.

Girafe

Better and better.

I am asking about the pink colour, don't know if it's too pronounced or not

Anyway thanks for this job  :)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Evillions8

A bit too pink, try making it more yellow / dark like.  Like where this is going.  :)

peter007

I think it's a great texture.
Maybe some adds (moss,branches,etc.)

-Ernst

kaylacey

Maybe you could make some dune grass?  You know that really tall wavy wheat-like grass that is always on wild sandy beaches!

kodlovag

Sand textures looks nice! I never had enough time to try them in the game.
I can see a dirt ground texture in the pics, which is not from me. Looks nice too.
I also made several grass and snow textures. But grass textures are just too different from each other and blending with other textures is not very good. There are only 1 or 2 grass textures, what I'm really satisfied with. The snow textures are untested too. But I think you are much more interested to sand. Your game is really in sandbox mode  $%Grinno$%
Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

Evillions8

You really can't add grass because it would apply to all areas of terrain.  Thus, ruining the purpose of having grass textures.

marsh

I'll get to changing the rock textures sometime.  ;)

kaylacey: That is a good idea. Sadly I do not know anything about BATing.  &mmm Although I could possibly incorporate it into the terrain mod.

kodlovag: Yea. Sand. ::) Those dirt textures are more of a cracked earth. (Dried mid) which you'll see in the below picture.

Evillions: Not necessarily. If you make a different texture you can only have it apply to certain areas. ;)

This texture I'm trying for is a cracked earth/dried mud. I'm still trying to get it appear in the correct places. (Like flat ground). It's for areas which where previously ponds/lakes. I hope to get it on mostly all ground that is perfectly flat up in higher altitudes so there are nice dried lakes in areas. At sea-level I don't want it like that though. I'm tring for sand dunes and oasis's mostly, while higher altitudes are more rocky than sandy.

This is sort-of What I'm trying to go for at lower altitudes. Small "ponds" Higher altitudes will be larger and more visual.

Evillions8

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.