• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Arden Tree Controller Help Desk

Started by vortext, June 01, 2011, 06:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Thanks Vrtext!I'm using the coastal tree controller extended...i was testing it with my usual plugins folder....but had no problems with the previous version...don't know actually....

vortext

@ wouanagaine, I've stopped using Cleanitol myself for a long time so I hadn't thought about nor planned for it. In any case, this would just be a .txt file which lists all the files, right?

@ sunv123, hm I've given both indirect and direct download links so I don't quite understand what you mean.  &mmm

@ Simcoug, thanks! I'm not particular looking forward to folks rushing over to complain about brown boxes and what not but it's probably inevitable indeed.

@ whatevermind, thanks, I'll put in a word of warning for those two dependencies. Personally I always greatly appreciate it whenever downloads specify which files exactly are needed, so it made sense to do it myself as well.  :)

@ Gugu3, check your mail.  :)

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

epicblunder

Quote from: vortext on February 05, 2013, 08:59:16 AM
I'm not particular looking forward to folks rushing over to complain about brown boxes and what not but it's probably inevitable indeed.

Yes.  Yes it is.   :bomb: (scroll to comments)

wouanagaine

Quote from: vortext on February 05, 2013, 08:59:16 AM
@ wouanagaine, I've stopped using Cleanitol myself for a long time so I hadn't thought about nor planned for it. In any case, this would just be a .txt file which lists all the files, right?
it is a little more than a file lists
you can define
files to be moved out of plugins folder ( for conflicting files or outdated files )
files to be needed with the url to where to get them so the user just have to click on the link in cleanitol to get his webbrowser open on that url ( for dependencies )
you can even define 2 cleanitol files, when to be used before installing (removing files), and one to be use after installation (dependencies check)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Andreas

Quote from: whatevermind on February 04, 2013, 08:47:14 PM
@Andreas: I understand now, sorry for the confusion. However, I would like to point out that both the LEX description and the Readme for the SFBT Seasonal Birches list SFBT Essentials as a dependency:

To ensure the proper functionality, make sure the files mentioned above are installed in the plugins folder. In addition, you need the following files from Simtropolis Exchange or SC4Devotion:

SFBT_Birken_Jahreszeit.dat (included)
SFBT Essentials

Well, this is due to the fact that the summer models of the birch trees are contained in ArkenbergeJoe's prop pack, which is part of the SFBT Essentials. Other than the BSC, which offers a wide variety of prop and texture packs, the SFBT decided to package often-used props and textures into the SFBT Essentials download, since those are, well, essential to many SFBT creations. Therefore, the SFBT Essentials have been updated a couple of times, but we thought would be a lot less work than keeping track of numerous individual dependencies. Also, the whole content of the SFBT Essentials download is not that large, so it's not really necessary to remove those files that you don't need.
Andreas

gn_leugim

well, I have some pictures to share and some lights to give  %confuso

First the "River Extended":

Now, the same spots with the "Inland"

Now the "Coast Extended"

I posted the same spots with different controlers so people can see differents between them ;)

Now, about the SFBT birches, I was missing those, and so first I was getting some "brown boxes". More, I was getting some maxis items instead in some seasons as ou can see in the following image.

I don't know if this is in somehow harmful or not, but I leave it anyway.

And finally, I found one more MMP that can be troublesome, its the Jeronij's Maxis MMP trees ;)

(I'll be taking more pics and testing further next days)

vortext

@ epicblunder hehe. Ah well, it's all for the best!

@ wouanagaine, allright, I'll look into it.

@ Andreas, actually SFBT_Birken_Jahreszeit contains summer birches as well, slighty brighter in color than those in the Essentials. Isn't the reason the Essentials are listed as dependency because of the query files for the forest lots?

@ gn_leugim, thanks for the comparison pics! A little strange a Maxis prop appears in place of the SFBT birch. I'm inclined to say it's not harmfull, it simply means they share the same TGI adress. Though I'm curious to learn if this was already known (i.e. wether there've been occurrences of SFBT birches showing up where the fountain prop ought to be).
time flies like a bird

Diggis

I'm getting a consistent crash when placing trees next to the edge of a tile. I've got large tiles and when I cross the east/west boundary I get a CTD. Very easily repeatable. The north/south boundaries have been fine so far.  It occurs when I have the centre of the brush close to the tile edge.  I took out the brush mod to see if that was the problem but it seems not. It's happening on all 6 zooms and it doesn't matter if there is a neighbouring tile or not.

To test this wasn't my install I restored my normal full plugins and had no problems using the old CP controller I had in there.

I only had your controllers (1 tree (I tried Coast and River extended) plus the shore river controller) and the associated dependencies in my plugins, plus the Columbus terrain mod and the patch for that mod.

I'll try it without the terrain mod and with different combos of the controllers and see if I get different results.

On a happier note, AMAZING WORK!  &apls  What I did manage to lay before crashing... :'(  was amazing

Edit:

I've tried a few different combos and all with the same result sorry.

vortext

Hm, that same issue was reported in Epic's comments, no solution however. Have you tried it with just one controller at a time? And does it also occur in a completly fresh tile?
time flies like a bird

Diggis

Quote from: vortext on February 06, 2013, 02:04:04 PM
Hm, that same issue was reported in Epic's comments, no solution however. Have you tried it with just one controller at a time?

Yeah, I did.  I tried it without any terrain controller. Is there maybe one I should test it with?

vortext

You're fast.  :D Did you see my edit? If not; does it also occur in a new tile?
time flies like a bird

Diggis

Quote from: vortext on February 06, 2013, 02:06:59 PM
You're fast.  :D Did you see my edit? If not; does it also occur in a new tile?

Sorry, I missed your edit. Yes, I've only done it in new tiles. And it's been new tiles every time cos of the crashes.  :D

vortext

Hm, I've tried the setup you mentioned and can't reproduce it. .   &Thk/(

What about your graphic settings maybe? Does software or hardware rendering make a difference?

time flies like a bird

Diggis

Quote from: vortext on February 06, 2013, 02:57:08 PM
Hm, I've tried the setup you mentioned and can't reproduce it. .   &Thk/(

What about your graphic settings maybe? Does software or hardware rendering make a difference?

I'll check. I'll also post all my settings shortly. I'll check in game before I crash it ;)

Edit:

I have high settings for everything
All the effects are turned on (clouds, waves, etc.)
32 bit colour
Hardware Renderer

I'm playing windowed with a resolution of 1920x1080

Changing it to software didn't help.

I also rotated the map to see if it it was left right on the screen or east west. It's east west.

I'm on a x64 Win 7 HP Pavilion.
8gb Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti

I tried to swap it out of Windowed mode, but it seems stuck in it. Will take another look over the weekend. Am out tomorrow night.

I can also upload my plugins and the region to fileden if you want to try that?

vortext

If you could upload your plugins folder and region that would be great, I'm curious to find out what is going on.
time flies like a bird

whatevermind

Finally got a chance to test these out in game, and they're amazing. The variety and blending of the flora so far has been great.  &apls

I've run so far the Inland, both Rivers, and both Coasts, individually while using Maxis terrain, without problems. So there's still a lot of tree planting options to try out, but as a first run on basic settings it went very well. Everything looks great, and I haven't so far seen any problems with any of the controllers.

I had a bit of an issue with the Coast Regular where the game would randomly minimize, but I think that was my antivirus updater fighting for memory with the game.  ::)  The controllers did cause some significant lag at times, but I didn't have any actual crashes at any point.

One suggestion I do have from today is that you might want to put a bit in the Readme about planting seasons and the timing of the seasonal changes.

Diggis

I've had another play, with my full plugins. I've also added CPU Priority to the shortcut and it seems to have fixed the crashes. I've had no problems this evening and I've planted 2 tiles.

vortext

Thanks everybody for the feedback!  :thumbsup:

As you may have gathered from the distinct lack of activity, RL has been demanding my attention lately. Rest assured though progress has been made behind the scenes! The readme needs some layout and artwork done as it's a basic text file atm. Sure, a simple textfile might do just fine but somehow I don't like to cut corners at the final stages (who knew this is where the perfectionist devotion part really kicks in?! ;))

Also, I'm in a bit of a moral dilemn, though that's kinda big words. Anyway, I've looked into the scrutenering process here on SC4D and I'm sorry to say it seems cumbersome (no offense to the actual scuterneers). I mean, the controllers have already been put to the test, quite extensivly. And on a related note, I've tried whipping up an installer but couldn't work out the different options I wanted; install one controller at a time in the plugins or all at once outside the plugins. Personally I kinda resent installers anyway so I think the final download will be a zipped folder with all the files instead. Any thoughts on the subject?

time flies like a bird

gn_leugim

Quote from: vortext on February 21, 2013, 04:00:36 PM
... And on a related note, I've tried whipping up an installer but couldn't work out the different options I wanted; install one controller at a time in the plugins or all at once outside the plugins. Personally I kinda resent installers anyway so I think the final download will be a zipped folder with all the files instead. Any thoughts on the subject?

I know that feeling, when I made a installer some while ago where there were two options to chose from. I had to state in the readMe that after instalation you would need to delete one file or the other =\

I don't know any free install creator with options on what to install or not =\

Indiana Joe

I hate installers because I don't use the default profile on my computer, so I have to manually change the destination every time.  Go zipped!