• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Maxis Highway Override (Project Symphony) - Development & Support

Started by MandelSoft, October 31, 2012, 09:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Maarten that's amazing!!!!well done...
a bit off topic,but....since we are speaking of diagonal ramps...are there any plans to increment them in the RHW? :)
Cheers
Gugu3

noahclem

Beautiful transitions Maarten! Although it's not as good for the traffic simulator, the aesthetics of the MHW network's diagonals are very good for urban areas. In the more distant future it'd be great to see cosmetic pieces for these, similar to your existing cosmetic exit pieces for RHW-4, but incorporated for diagonals.

Keep it up  :thumbsup:

mave94

That looks great! Project Symphony looks like a nice addition. It makes it much easier to make a nice-looking highway.  ()stsfd()

-Matthijs

samerton

Haljackey

The original concept made by Shadow Assassin I believe.

For a transition comparison, this is what the RHW looked like at the time:

More pics n stuff in my archives thread: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4575.0

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Haljackey on November 08, 2012, 03:54:41 PM
The original concept made by Shadow Assassin I believe.

For a transition comparison, this is what the RHW looked like at the time.

The main difference that's worth noting is that the UHW retained all of the MHW prefabs and pretty much every single MHW model. It was merely a pathing and textural modification, whereas PS is a textural, pathing, and model replacement for the MHW that pretty much overwrites the entire MHW system in favour of an RHW-esque system.

All MHW prefabs will be mostly disabled and replaced with new PS semi-prefabs, and yes, there is crosslinkage with RHW. You just won't be able to drag RHW networks using PS.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Haljackey

It's also interesting to note that Maxis originally planned SC4's highways to be 4 lanes only. An extra lane in each direction was essentially squeezed in prior to release to give a big-city feel to it. In addition, this may have had something to do with the EA takeover of Maxis which happened during SC4's development.

Here's a SC4 development video from 2002 showing the look of the 4 lane MHW.
http://www.youtube.com/v/3uRszq4OsF8

So in a sense Project Symphony will take the MHW back to its roots.  ;)

sim_link

Love the look of this project, especially that roundabout interchange. That will be really useful in high-traffic CBDs/Dense urban settings.

mike3775

what I like most about this, is it will now be easier to integrate both into cities and not have it look odd.

GDO29Anagram

This is from our private discussions; Project Symphony's origins began with this: There were a few ideas floating around of how to implement an RHW-4C (or rather, special variants of the RHW-4), and mine was to use an MHW revamp.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 15, 2011, 01:35:44 PM
I actually had a different ideal of an RHW-4C: A strategically revamped MHW, a resurrection of the UHW. It's aesthetically analogous to the diagonal 6C in terms of its median. Problems with this implementation: Cost and capacity differences.

This also revealed that there have been similar prototypes done by other NAM Team Members, such as Alex and Jdenm. Since then, JD and Maarten have picked up on the idea.

So there are several ways to look at this:

- The current reincarnation of the UHW, which is consequently what Maxis originally intended for.
- A "crusade" to make MHWs more in-line with RHW, and to get people into thinking in the RHW paradigm.
- The RHW-4C that's been "missing" for years.
- A "My First RealHighway" system, which was what it was jokingly called at first.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

c0rnh0li0

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

A Nonny Moose

What a nice development!  Congratulations to everyone.  I most certainly will look forward to this improvement.

I am beginning to think that, no matter what comes out of SC 2013, SC4 is immortal.

My Canada includes Quebec

MandelSoft

Well, I broke one promise, but I think this will make quite some people happy...

Behold!

Pathing needs little tweaking though...

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

chosenreject

OMG how do i give rep points? that is amazing. those mis crossovers will seriously change this game!

sunv123

That's a really nice interchange you've got there!  :)

Hope this project will stay strong, and not fail like some other projects have.
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

FrankU

Tarkus

Quote from: chosenreject on November 10, 2012, 09:43:23 AM
OMG how do i give rep points? that is amazing. those mis crossovers will seriously change this game!

Usually, you can PM a staff member with rep point requests.  I've gone ahead and given Maarten one on your behalf. :thumbsup:

Phenomenal stuff here, Maarten--I'm absolutely thrilled to see the long-planned RHWified MHW coming together so nicely! :)

-Alex

ivo_su

Maarten I  am amazed from what i see , i don t know what to say , youre work is brilliant, even perfect. Keep up the good work on Project Symphoni, it has a great future.

Patricius Maximus

Is that a pre-fab interchange (you promised no pre-fabs)? From the looks of it it looks like it has several components. Either way, I like it, though I prefer acceleration and deceleration lanes...

...But if those lanes were present it would cease being the Symphony network, so I suppose it's okay  :-\.