• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your Highways!

Started by Travis, April 21, 2007, 09:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooker1

I would love to know how that is done as well, please.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

Haljackey

Quote from: aragornjdl on October 04, 2011, 06:51:04 AM
Are you using the on-slope Avenue transition? If so, when I tried to do this, I couldn't get the turning lane on the on-slope piece. How'd you build that?

Quote from: rooker1 on October 04, 2011, 07:24:05 AM
I would love to know how that is done as well, please.

There is a new On-Slope TuLEP for avenue turning lanes. I believe it's at the end of the TuLEP tab cycle of I'm not mistaken. It will allow you to create FLEX-SPUI creations like kassarc's creation.

I've been working on a highway system in a new city. Here's a short video showing it's design and how it interacts with other roads and highways within the right of way.

http://www.youtube.com/v/0rOCt-3q4eI

More info and HD playback via Youtube. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rOCt-3q4eI

Hope you enjoyed it! I think it's best showing it to you before development turns the highway into an urban canyon.  :P

kassarc16

Actually, there's a TuLEP On-slope at the very end of that Tab ring.

Edit: Whoop, Haljackey beat me to it.

Houstonkid

Well before the new RHW was released, I was going for something like this..

Now that its released, it was finally possible. This is what I got

Paul 999

Haljackey

Very nice work Paul 999!

A couple of my highway corridors:

These just beg for a centre median.

MandelSoft

Euro RHW textures are progressing slowly, but steadily. Here is a teaser of what's to come:

NOTE: although it may look finished in this picture, the mod is actually far from finished.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Quote from: Floydian on October 17, 2011, 11:18:40 PM
Check out this baby. She's got a nice tight stack.  ;)

...And an at-grade intersection where the tunnels meet. You need to 'double sink' one of the tunnels to make a true grade-seperation. (1 15 m tunnel and 1 30 m tunnel)

Floydian

Quote from: Haljackey on October 18, 2011, 09:37:09 AM

...And an at-grade intersection where the tunnels meet. You need to 'double sink' one of the tunnels to make a true grade-seperation. (1 15 m tunnel and 1 30 m tunnel)

Hey now, who says they can't be like the Main Street Tunnel in Welland, where the road keeps going deeper until the centre of the tunnel?... But yeah I was planning to do that whenever I load that map back up. After the hour of working on it I just slapped the mainline in last second.

Bipin

Compact, grade-separated urban highways made easier!

canyonjumper

There's a certain awesomeness to that ;D
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Opkl

Quote from: Bipin on October 18, 2011, 04:47:25 PM

Compact, grade-separated urban highways made easier!

That is GREAT! I will have to try this for myself. If it comes out great, no more MHW for me! Great find Bipin!  ;D

Bipin

Thanks for the replies regarding my interchange! For those who need help, I suggest you read my post from Simtropolis, as quoted below:

QuoteBegin with digging a 15m deep, 3 tile wide trench (assuming your using RHW6 or another network that takes up 3 tiles). Place the 3 tile network down the trench, just drag it. Using a slope mod (I use Ennedi's), drag 1x2 tile long strips of road covering the sloped side of the trench and the flat tile 15m above that sloped side. You should do this along the whole trench, both sides, leading to the sloped side of the 15m deep trench being 2 tiles wide (2 tiles slope to for the 15m trench sides instead of just one steep side like you would have started with). Every 14 tiles (13 tile-wide gap between both pieces), plop a 1x1 piece of road on the upper side of the trench slope, this should leave you with something like the following:

____
.......\___
..............\______

The red part should be 15m above the green, with the blue part being approx. 7.5 above the green. It should be half the height of the total trench. Leave 3 tiles placed at total trench height (15m) in the the center between the two tiles at 7.5m From the middle of these three tiles, place a RHW2 T-intersection on-slope elevated piece and connect it to the other side so you have an overpass over the sunken RHW6 at the bottom of the trench, 15m below of course. Now, back to the 7.5m area. With a slope mod installed still, connect this 7.5m area with road to the 15m high area, resulting in a nice smooth slope between the 7.5m area and the overpass intersection at 15m. On the slope between the flat area at 7.5 and the flat 15m area on one side of the T-intersection for the T-intersection On-slope RHW2 piece, place a FARHW4 inside exit. This should result in the puzzle piece conforming to the exact shape of the slope, the inside exit piece should not alter the slope in any way. Now just plop the RHW6 FARHW exit pieces so they connect with the inside exits.

Hopefully this is helpful, I did my best to explain it. I will also attempt making a video, as it's really the best way to understand how this process works.

Haljackey

I agree with the above posts, your method of construction is very useful Bipin! Have you considered adding it to the RHW interchange guide? I'd be more than happy to assist you if you have any questions.

Bipin

I've been working on adding it to the guide, as it was suggested a little while ago actually. I am considering doing a video tutorial, as it's really the best way to under stand how to build this interchange. Will a video be ok to use in the guide?

noahclem

Very nicely done Bipin!  &apls

Also, nice work Maarten, Haljackey, and Paul 999  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Floydian on October 18, 2011, 09:41:18 AM
Quote from: Haljackey on October 18, 2011, 09:37:09 AM

Hey now, who says they can't be like the Main Street Tunnel in Welland, where the road keeps going deeper until the centre of the tunnel?... But yeah I was planning to do that whenever I load that map back up. After the hour of working on it I just slapped the mainline in last second.

I don't see why one road can't keep going deeper like that--makes sense to me and I wouldn't sink one of the tunnels. It's not like the game creates an intersection in the middle. Also, since an avenue tunnel entrance is ~8m high if you were going to sink one I don't see the point in sinking it 30m.

Haljackey

Quote from: Bipin on October 20, 2011, 11:59:22 AM
I've been working on adding it to the guide, as it was suggested a little while ago actually. I am considering doing a video tutorial, as it's really the best way to under stand how to build this interchange. Will a video be ok to use in the guide?

As long as it is easy to follow, a video is acceptable. I would consider adding commentary like Asteconn has done.

Quote from: noahclem on October 20, 2011, 12:37:35 PM

I don't see why one road can't keep going deeper like that--makes sense to me and I wouldn't sink one of the tunnels. It's not like the game creates an intersection in the middle. Also, since an avenue tunnel entrance is ~8m high if you were going to sink one I don't see the point in sinking it 30m.

Ah the errors of the game. As progress on the RHW front advances, we will end up seeing a 'third level' MIS added along with overpasses which are half the height they are now (7.5m instead of 15m).

Due to these limiting factors, a true stack is still quite hard to pull off, with the exception of the ground-elevated highway stack.

Bipin

I'll make sure to add some sort of commentary. Not sure exactly what I'll do though, as the voice of an adolescent doesn't sound too good through a mic. Thanks for the tips Haljackey.

canyonjumper

Bipin, I know what you mean ;D I'm having difficulty narrating something for my MD, because my voice comes out all weird. If you fix it, would you let me know what you did?
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.