• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simmer2

Thank you for the kind words, everyone!

@Kitsune The model's foot prints is somewhat close to many generic house models in game.

@Unconstantean As I have stated above, I will not be making the lots with these models. Kingofsimcity will be the one to ask regarding lotting styles.

Here are 2 more models. One is yet another basement but with a somewhat intact corner tower and the other is fully above ground with walls showing decay. More to come, stay tuned.

Simmer2
________________________________________________________________________________

brick_mortimer

And we're back to grungy $%Grinno$%
The ruined models are looking really promising, looking forward to the final product :thumbsup:
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

mattb325

Good to see some more basement models!
How did you get the masking to work in GMAX? Normally you need to bat a little bit of the ground around the model to hide the underground parts from showing....or was it just a trick of the LODs? Either way, well done :thumbsup:

omgitskosc

Wonderfully good! That one with the tower looks like it would've been a spooky mansion in the past. :thumbsup:

Simmer2

Thanks guys!!

Quote from: mattb325 on April 10, 2018, 01:30:23 PM
Good to see some more basement models!
How did you get the masking to work in GMAX? Normally you need to bat a little bit of the ground around the model to hide the underground parts from showing....or was it just a trick of the LODs? Either way, well done :thumbsup:

Hi Matt.

Masking does not work on Gmax  :( So I create a tight custom LOD that extends a bit over the model. Everything under the LODs gets rendered. It gets pretty complex when dealing with multi shaped under the plane models but as long as I attach all the shapes I make for the LODs to each other, it works like a charm
Each LOD set is tailored specifically to the model at hand.

Masking works the other way, I think. The mask "hides" what you don't want to render. But you already know that :D One day I will graduate from Gmax and dive in 3dsMax ;D

Cheers

Simmer2/Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

mattb325

I didn't think masking worked in gmax, but as always, there's usually a pretty good work-around (lord knows I used gmax for long enough myself), and it looks like you've nailed it   :satisfied:

Simmer2

Thank you Matt :)

More of the above models are done but here is a special one...

Continuing the semi abandoned/decrepit look, here is an old Texaco gas station...still WIP .Putting the final touches.
I did not want it to be completely abandoned therefore I made it so it can be made functional in game thus giving you an old 50's Texaco Gas Station  ;)
I will be lotting this with a custom asphalt base texture.

This is a non rendered picture.

Simmer2/Nick

b22rian

very nice, nick..

That is just the way i remember them  $%Grinno$%

Unconstantean

fantozzi

I can't imagine a roadmovie without these kind of facilities.

You know, in ancient greek mythology there was the ferryman on the border to the unknown world and you had to pay him and leave the common ground - on road movies the ancient 'ferryman' became the filling station attendant at the edge of the dessert ... the outpost of civilization. Beyond this place begins the afterworld.

Simmer2

Thanks! b22rian and Unconstantean

@fantozzi Very good analogy! I hope you have a gold coin to give to Charon when the time comes to cross the river Styx.

Here is SM2 Old Texaco Gas Station albeit sans a better lotting but it will do for the moment.

Simmer2

noahclem

Quote from: bombardiere on April 06, 2018, 07:58:59 AM
That 3D rail is superb.   :thumbsup: Only if it would be possible to make all rails like that.

Was thinking the same, just can't keep my eyes off them! Seems the ballast is similarly treated as well--really looks fantastic!

Loving your work on all the other projects going on, all packed with detail and filling a useful niche  :thumbsup:

Unconstantean

the texaco looks amazing, the only thing it's missing is the totem

PaPa-J

Nice looking BAT.  Could use more service stations in the game.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

brick_mortimer

The Texaco gas station takes me back to Route 66  :)

I have to agree with @Unconstantean, a pole with the logo would finish it of.

Thanks for al the new stuff you are making for us  :thumbsup:
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Simmer2

Thanks everyone!

Special thanks to Unconstantean for that pic with the Texaco old sign. I was looking for a better than the one I found.

New models (changed a few things)

Here is they are. They you ask? Yup I made 2 version... Oh and before anyone asks, these models will not have night lights beside the lit sign. (those old stations were pitch black at night)

Simmer2/Nick

Unconstantean

The totem is from 1950. Also they did have night lights. Spot lights above the pumps and the TEXACO or CALTEX had neon lights.

Between 50s and to early 70s everything was lit up like crazy. The new streamline deco lifestyle was merged with neon lights futurism and space age design.

Simmer2

Unconstantean
Thank you for removing the double post with the other 10 pics.

Nick

PS I do not mind 1 or 2

dyoungyn

Oh boy doesn't Mel's remind you of "Happy Days" with the Fonz'?

Unconstantean

Sorry Nick i got a bit carried away  &ops