• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Request: Larger roundabout

Started by xannepan, August 09, 2011, 06:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xannepan

Hi guys,

I'd kindly like to request a larger avenue roundabout, basically the roundabout currently in the game, but the an additional round roadtrack.
If any one with modding skills is willing to pick this up I can assist by creating the FSH textures needed.

Cheers,
-Alex

noahclem

It's not exactly what you're asking for here, but as a temporary visual but non-functional solution you could use this roundabout filler from psander5 on the STEX:

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/25664-psander5-s-roundabout-fillers/

xannepan

That filler actually looks cool. I am glad you pointed this out. However, i was actually thinking about an additional outside lane, or maybe even a larger radius all together.  ;D

ivo_su

Certainly  we all need a new large roundabout. Especially after the advent of Network Widening Mod and new networks such as AVE-6; MAVE-4 / 6  or wider TLA. It would be great to allow them to flow into a new and huge roundabout. I guess it will be enough if you  have 4 lanes and the inner part is in at least 3x3 tiles.

Cheers,
- Ivo

j-dub

IF that is considered, it will be a long time, considering the new components. While no disrespect intended surrounding the Arc De Triumph,
http://www.youtube.com/v/smsmDrtA_OI
This lane-less example with no traffic control device demonstrates what is not the safest way to build. And when you look at how wide NWM is going to be, IDK about this.

kbieniu7

May I ask? Does anybody knows, if those 3-lane roundabouts, which are not "windmill" or "turbine-designed", anywhere exists?
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Korot

The Dutch Knoopunt Joure is a three-lane roundabout. You can find it here: http://maps.google.nl/maps?hl=nl&ll=52.957257,5.815855&spn=0.002731,0.008256&t=h&z=18. Now, it might not meet your demand quite well, because some parts have two lanes, and the road-markings don't send you round and round, but straight to an exit. This (and the bypasses) were done to optimize traffic flow, as traffic jams are a common occurrence on this roundabout, which is why it is to be replaced by a more free-flowing interchange. It used to be three lanes all around though, if memory serves me right.

Regards,
Korot

kbieniu7

Thanks for linking. Well, I meant tree lanes going round and round, but it is quite interesting roundabout - slip lanes and In streetview I see, it's marked as an express road. I see something that first time!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

io_bg

Quote from: j-dub on August 09, 2011, 11:12:07 AM
IF that is considered, it will be a long time, considering the new components. While no disrespect intended surrounding the Arc De Triumph,
This lane-less example with no traffic control device demonstrates what is not the safest way to build. And when you look at how wide NWM is going to be, IDK about this.
I don't think we will ever need something like this :D
Here are a couple of real world examples. The second one is similar to what we have now, it's just bigger (and allows higher speeds)

Edit: here's another one with an AVE-4 going above it. Would be cool to have the same for RHW4 or wider :)

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

apeguy

I agree with this and I think we need bigger roundabouts in SC4 since the creation of the NWM.

Also, on the topic of big roundabouts, check out this monster of a roundabout, which is only 2 miles from where I live. It only has three lanes, but its big enough to put houses and a pub in the centre. ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

j-dub

That's the whole thing, they are bigger. The Maxis NAM Dae Moon site register only download, before NAM existed, was a huge roundabout filler that seems to be evidence roundabouts in SC4 could have been built with bigger radius, had EA not rushed the release date, causing them to eventually omit stuff. The NAM Dae Moon, does not fit in the current NAM avenue roundabout.

And Io_bg, have you yet shown proposed appropriate roundabouts to RHW/NWM threads?

ivo_su

Everything  you show is very nice and An interesting  but unfortunately it is useless. Anyone can  find thousands of pictures  in the world with various  roundabouts but this is not  competition for pictures  right? xannepan said that it can deal with textures and request assistance for the remaining work. Let if able and willing to help create paths and RUL's tell him. Be aware, however that the construction of such mega-roundabout will be no easy task.  They should include the most experienced  of the NAM - the team. I personally do not see how something like this could happen without the participation of Tarkus, Blue Lightning, or Jonathan.
  Let me if anyone has specific ideas that can help  to write to start a job and not just talk empty words.
  Thank you.

Best,
Ivo

Dexter

Even without bigger roundabouts, I'd be happy with native RHW support for the existing ones for the time being.

Something like this photoshop below:

Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Kitsune

yes... rhw4 round abouts would be nice. I seem to remember one highway in barbados where the speeds were 90km/h ... and all the intersections where roundabouts. Was quite harrowing to travel.
~ NAM Team Member

jdenm8

To be honest, I think the roundabout we have now is fine, we just need a more realistic way to interface with it, not the very Arc De Triomphe onramps we have now with their ridiculous angle of attack.

The problem is we could either tack more onto the existing helper piece setup to cater for the overhang, or fight with the RULs to get the draggable override working.

I would love nicer, more prototypical, approaches but I don't think it'll happen any time soon.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

The general feeling I've gotten in recent times is that there's a good bit of interest in more roundabout functionality, including bigger setups with the popularity of the NWM.  We've had some discussions about "RabETs"--a roundabout-equivalent of TuLEPs.  However, those discussions haven't really gone beyond the drawing board, and we have no real concrete plan worked out in terms of implementation or any project specifications.  TuLEPs may undergo some considerable retooling as well going forward, which negates to at least some extent its applicability as a model for potential further roundabout development.

Like JD, I do see the existing Avenue Roundabout operating as a good base--it just needs more functionality in and out of it.  It'll probably get ERHW-over support at some point in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future, perhaps along with something along the lines of what Dexter showed. 

Going to a larger footprint of roundabout poses some . . . interesting challenges.  If you're wanting something along the lines of the existing roundabouts functionality-wise (Street, Road, One-Way Road, Avenue), which are either draggable or pseudo-draggable (the Avenue Roundabouts are basically "WAVERide" 3 years before "WAVERide" existed), they have their root functionality set up in IndRULs, with further coding in RUL2 (and in the case of the Avenue Roundabouts, RUL0 and even a little RUL1). 

IndRULs have a 5x5 tile limit as far as efficacy goes.  One theoretically could go larger, and there are some ways to kind of fudge things with Tile Verifiers in the Network INI (something that no NAMite deals with on a regular basis) and RUL2 (which operates on a smaller scale), but it could get . . . interesting (there's that word again) . . . trying to get things really stable.  There's also the matter of underlying network tile layout.  Going fully puzzle-piece eliminates some of those issues at least initially, but as the functionality expands, that can pose a whole new set of issues when you have TAB Rings stacked to the brim with pieces.

As I'm pretty well booked up between RL and my other standing projects, I most likely won't be able to do much more than offer technical advice and (if needed by the final project specs) crank out a little code here and there should a project of this sort get off the ground.  But I hope my explanations/ruminations proved at least somewhat useful.

-Alex

ivo_su

Quote from: Tarkus on August 09, 2011, 11:41:36 PM
There has been discussion of RabETs (Roundabout Extension Tiles) for awhile now, since before NAM Version 29 came out, conceived as a sort of "roundabout-equivalent" of TuLEPs.  However, it hasn't gotten much farther than mere discussion since that time.  We've only had very preliminary discussions about what NAM Version 31 and other future releases will entail, and while there's considerable interest in RabETs, the implementation methods are nowhere near worked out, and it's likely to prove a rather daunting project.  As I already have enough on my plate with RL, the RHW, NWM, TuLEPs and a few smaller projects, it'll likely require someone else on the NAM Team to step up in order for RabETs to become a reality.

-Alex

Alex (Tarkus)  I have a bold suggestion to you. is no secret to anyone that you are the leader of NAM and are most capable of the whole team. It is from there  you need a project as possible RabERs that would be extremely complex to implement. I fully agree  with you that you are  too busy with current  projects RHW, NWM and TuLEPs. My suggestion is to cancel RHW Court for the new project RabETs.  However, if you are big enough contribution there but not once as I said  - RHW is too forward in comparison with others. From my personal observations I see that 90% of NAM participate  in the development of RHW  and this should not be a problem they can cope without you. I think that if you leave RHW -  Blue Lightning, Maarten and  Shadow Assasin he will be in safe hands. So I guess, and you have more free time and we will get new and super  cool stuff. But the choice is yours and the decision you make will always be well received by  all of us - I just wanted to help with ideas and suggestions. I'd love to  have been useful reflections.

Best regards,
Ivo

Tarkus

Part of the thing is that while I believe expanded roundabout functionality would be somewhat useful, it isn't something that would be enough for me to drop what I'm doing with the RHW.

-Alex

ivo_su

Quote from: Tarkus on August 10, 2011, 05:48:02 PM
Part of the thing is that while I believe expanded roundabout functionality would be somewhat useful, it isn't something that would be enough for me to drop what I'm doing with the RHW.

-Alex

Multi-Level System will be a great addition when it is finished but I think it can happen without your help. NAM Those who have participated in building and designing ERHW-4 and ERHW-6 is supposed to have gained the necessary experience to cope without you in there. At least I think so too as an observer, but I do not monitor the operation and capabilities of each of your team and you know best.

- Ivo