• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Wiki - General Discussion

Started by dedgren, February 04, 2009, 11:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

jdenm8

As part of my little quest to add coverage of the Maxis-Made buildings in the game, I've added a few things and modified a few things.

I modified the Tilesets navbox to include links to Utility Building, Transport, Civic Building, Landmarks and Reward pages in preparation for adding those to the Wiki and added the Utility Buildings page. I've also gone through and collected information on all of the game's utilities from PIMx and are in the process of adding those to the Wiki. I've also added pages for the Desalination Plant and Incinerator since the fact they weren't finished makes them notable.

I also modified Infobox plop to add some new fields for Power and Water production as well as Garbage consumption which are required for Utilities. I'll probably edit it again to add Police, Fire, Health and transport properties or I may just spin off a new version like I did with Infobox grow to limit the empty fields in older articles using this template.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

JoeST

If you want I can make them optional

EDIT: heh, they're already optional... man those templates are so clunky XD doesn't help that mediawiki is so out of date, >.>

jdenm8

Actually, I added a whole bunch today for Police, the Nuclear Plant and the Air Force Base DLC and they're not affecting older articles at all, so I'd say the situation has handled itself.

JoeST

Yeah the {{row}} template automatically makes them optional. I just made the dl/download property optional, so you dont need to explicitly state that they're N/A any more :)

EDIT: now I kind of want to fix up all the templates ....

jdenm8

I've got a question. I've made a page for the Air Force Base DLC where the Download field is applicable.

The problem is that EAxis no longer hosts the file. Where should I link it to?

CasperVg

I think the Transportation Update is also hosted here at GameArena. I think catty's City Builders website also has it, but can't find it right now.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

whatevermind

Quote from: JoeST on March 31, 2013, 03:05:48 AM
EDIT: now I kind of want to fix up all the templates ....

Heh, I've had that thought more than a few times. Some of them are a complete mess. Really, the Wiki could use a visual overhaul of most of the boxes and templates, perhaps combined with getting that CSS up to date. Now, if only I could find the time to tackle that project... ::)

On a more achievable note, there's a bug in the Globalize template. The nested "noinclude"s at the top of the page cause the template to load incorrectly. Somebody needs to delete one set of them, which should fix the problem. Unfortunately, this one has real protection (why??), or I'd fix it myself, so we need a mod/admin to do the job.

Or if anyone wants to give me mod powers I'll just fix it. Either way.

;D

CasperVg

Quote from: whatevermind on April 06, 2013, 05:20:35 PM
On a more achievable note, there's a bug in the Globalize template. The nested "noinclude"s at the top of the page cause the template to load incorrectly. Somebody needs to delete one set of them, which should fix the problem. Unfortunately, this one has real protection (why??), or I'd fix it myself, so we need a mod/admin to do the job.

I've edited the template and reduced the protection level on it ;)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

catty

Quote from: CasperVg on March 31, 2013, 05:54:59 AM
I think the Transportation Update is also hosted here at GameArena. I think catty's City Builders website also has it, but can't find it right now

I've got all the SC3 and SC4 Maxis files, but am in the middle of changing to a new software program to run the exchange, I still have the old CBEX here

http://citybuilders.co.nz/index.php/cbex

and I'm copying the files over to the new CBEX which will have two download links

http://citybuilders.co.nz/index.php/cbex-releases

and

http://citybuilders.co.nz/index.php/cbex-repository

they will also be updated in the catalogue

http://citybuilders.co.nz/index.php/catalog/ccc/items/category/custom-content

as soon as I finish shifting the files around.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

jdenm8

I've actually got links to Abcvs' files at the moment since you don't need to register there, the Maxis content is independent of the Login system like it is here. I don't think he'd mind that much, he is hosting them on Dropbox after all.

I've also put up the DLC buildings 63 Building, Arc De Triomphe, Seoul City Hall and (Very Long Spanish Name I Will Not Type Again), as well as pictures for all of those since the original renders (Easier to piece together than taking a screenshot and carefully removing non-relevant pixels) aren't pants-on-head badly made like the built-in ones are.

catty

Quote from: jdenm8 on April 07, 2013, 08:19:51 AM
I've actually got links to Abcvs' files at the moment since you don't need to register there...

Yes the registration is a pain, so is having someone download the same file multiple times and eat the site bandwidth up, I probably going to have half and half when I finish as I've noticed on the old exchange that a couple of the files are always downloaded so once I finish setting up the new CBEX I'm going to make these ones public access and the rest you will still have to register to download.

I would have suggested Abcvs site last night but it was late and I couldn't find the link to it, another site with same of the Maxis Landmarks is this one

http://roe99.weebly.com/official-maxis-download.html

It doesn't have all of them and some of its other files are torrents   :(

and this one has just started up  http://www.mysimcities.com/sim-city-central/downloads/sim-city-4-for-windows/

it also has torrent links, so not sure whether you want to point people to them, but it would be good if the wiki had a page that listed all the sites you can get the official files from, now EA has deleted the official sites themselves, I notice Simtropolis also has a page you can download a couple of the official patches

http://www.simtropolis.com/maxis_files_for_simcity_4.html

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

whatevermind

Thanks, Casper.

I've got another one for the Wiki mods. Would it be possible to change Template:Infobox CS so that the Status field generates a category/link? I was trying to get those with a status=Inactive to show up in Cs-Inactive, then realized that that category is only tied to the Tag fields. It seems redundant to list something as Inactive (or Active, etc.) in both the Status and Tag fields.

Since the Status field only has three options (Active, Inactive, Archived) I don't know if you could have the link generation happen inline in the infobox template, or if you would have to treat it like the Tag and Awards fields and kick it to a secondary template to handle the switching.

Either way, it would streamline updating the Cs articles/categories if the status field could categorize.

On that note, does anyone have any thoughts about what to do with the Cs articles on the Wiki? Basically that entire section is a snapshot of what was happening in 2007-8, most of the articles were left half-finished, and many of the MD's on there are long since defunct. Many never made it beyond Recently Published. It's kind of one giant outdated mess. I'm almost not sure whether it's worth trying to update it, or just abandon it altogether to its dusty little corner of the Wiki.

JoeST

Well I added it to do that, with the optional {{{stat-cat}}} to surpress the behaviour

I'd say abandoning the cs section would be no loss, but I have no idea how many people use those articles. Can't be many if it's so out of date XD

catty

Have the MD's that made it into the Hall of Fame and get rid of the rest

whatevermind

@JoeST: The new code works great and seems to be generating categories correctly. One thing I would ask, if possible, is to have the category it creates prepended by Cs- (i.e. Cs-Inactive) to match the existing categories.

--

I'm starting to think the best solution to the Cs section is probably rearranging a lot of the original intent into new articles, particularly lists of MD's that fit particular categories, rather than a bunch of independent articles about specific MD's. Requires a lot less effort to keep up to date, and allows for links, statistics, and other goodies that you can't necessarily easily find on the fansites. Then, for those few really notable MD's there may still be a need for giving them their own article, which can be handled as needed.

And, of course, if someone comes along who wants to write up a storm of individual articles about the MD's out there, then the infrastructure is already in place for that, but it takes the focus off of the individual article and moves it into more statistical and objective pages that focus on the big picture.

JoeST

List articles would be better, I agree, and catty has a valid point. I will fix the template once again XD

catty

Quote from: JoeST on April 08, 2013, 11:25:17 PM
...and catty has a valid point...

It was a bit blunt tho, too early in the morning and no cup of tea, having had a look at the area, I'd keep the City Showcase page here

http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=City_Showcase

Tidy it up maybe expand it a bit and have all the links to the MD's boards pointing to their home sites, except for the "Hall of Fame" diaries and I would include the ones from other sites as well ... that limits this list to something more manageable

http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Category:City_Showcases

and the information used when a MD is awarded "hall of fame" status can be used in the wiki, the only updates that would need to be done after that is if the MD was finished or permanently stopped for some reason.

-catty

whatevermind

@JoeST - that works perfectly now, thank you!

@catty - that's along the lines of what I'm thinking.

jdenm8

I got a few more buildings up today/yesterday as well as some images.

The Police Kiosk, The Small Police Station, Amalienborg, Guggenheim Museum and Air Force Base now have images.
Some are of just the building, some are of the whole lot, it depends on what Maxis did with it. The Air Force Base and Amalienborg are full lot by necessity, Guggenheim is not since the building is all there is to it.

Seoul World Cup Stadium has been added and picture uploaded. (Building only picture)
Grand Central Station has been added and picture uploaded. (Building only picture)

If someone wants to re-do the Small Police Station's picture so it doesn't include custom content, be my guest.

I think that's about it.