• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Vlasky going global BATs

Started by Vlasky, February 09, 2013, 08:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

YES   :satisfied:

You get my vote for most awesome SC4 BAT idea. Ever. (There are a good many contenders in this category, I should add.)

The only way to become even more awesome than this is to make a King Kong version. ;D

Here's an interesting read about the building, the zeppelin mooring and its lights.

The Hindenburg looks amazing. I'm really curious as to how the two will combine in game, practically as well as aesthetically. Hindenburg as part of the same BAT? Separate BAT, overhanging prop? On its own LOT? I think the second option would be best. Also, are you gonna make a version of the ESB with antenna?

Excellent ground level detail on the Maritime Exchange building as well. :thumbsup:

Cheers
Willy

RepublicMaster

The Maritime building is looking great! I can't wait to see it uploaded! :D

whatevermind

Maybe a historic ESB version with King Kong and the Hindenburg as seasonal props. Then the modern version with the antennae and all the colored lights.

Looking great on all three either way!  &apls

APSMS

This file here demonstrates that while this idea (of the Hindenburg + ESB) is not perhaps a new idea, it is still an awesome one.

Not to mention the fact that these promise to be some absolutely awesome BATs, unlike the upload from 8 years ago, which reused Maxis buildings and doesn't look very high quality. That is one very nice looking zeppelin. Steampunk city here I come!

Also, I'd forgotten how big the Hindenburg was, though it seems a mite too long compared to the height of the ESB. Maybe the ESB just hasn't been vertically scaled up yet for the game? (Hindenburg was ~900 ft (~275m) long; ESB is 1250 ft (381m) tall.)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

noahclem

I just love this project  &apls &apls

QuoteAlso, I'd forgotten how big the Hindenburg was, though it seems a mite too long compared to the height of the ESB. Maybe the ESB just hasn't been vertically scaled up yet for the game? (Hindenburg was ~900 ft (~275m) long; ESB is 1250 ft (381m) tall.)

Scale seems right to me, although it's not the easiest to tell with the game's perspective.

Quote from: whatevermind on November 25, 2013, 07:03:16 PM
Maybe a historic ESB version with King Kong and the Hindenburg as seasonal props. Then the modern version with the antennae and all the colored lights.

I think the best way to go would be to implement the antenna as a prop as well. Having both versions would be really cool but I don't see any need for two whole separate building models.

Spent hours today reading about ESB, then zeppelins, then skyscraper history, then NYC....thanks to you and Willy  :D

jaredh

The people suggesting that anybody would walk down a gangplank from a zepplin swinging freely at the top of the ESB...onto what can only be described as highly dangerous 103rd floor deck cannot be considered intelligent in the least.

Did you see that picture in that article of the woman standing on the 103rd floor deck?  You couldn't pay me enough $$$ to step out onto that if there was any wind what so ever.

Vlasky

Swordmaster: The plan for ESB and Hindenburg is for now this: Have pre 50s version, that is only mast. And have a modern day version that is mast + antenna + crazy LED colors. For Hindenburg I'd like it to be MMP. And it can also be timed prop on pre 1950s ESB. King-Kong, lol, never occured to me, but if someone is willing to model him, yeah, he can appear as timed prop as well :P
RepublicMaster: your wait is over :P
whatevermind: we seem to be on the same page :)
APSMS: Everything on that render (height and length wise) is up to scale. I made sure of that :) Also both had been vertically scaled by 133%
noahclem: welcome to the club :P I just love 1930s vision of future. Somehow it looked more futuristic than present day vision of future :P Those folks really wanted the future and went for it. Yeah that whole thing is crazy once you get dragged into it. Zeppelins, Art Deco and glamourama :D As for versions, there will have to be two, since original floodlights were plain white. And today we can imagine ESB without its colors :)
jaredh: yeah I saw that picture and it looks crazy to me as well, but they did have plans for stairway to go directly inside. But if it's to any consolation they did add additional  height there so that celebrities that visit feel more safe.

Anyhow, NYBT Art Deco Month is over and NYBT Maritime Exchange building is on the STEX (both DN & MN). Get it here:

My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

rooker1

I also spent the most part of the day reading up on ESB.....great read.
Awesome work, great to hear it's finished.
Why not upload it to the LEX as well? ;)

Robin :thumbsup: &apls
Call me Robin, please.

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Vlasky

rooker1: Thank you Robin. I'm glad you were inspired to investigate a bit. About Lex upload, I don't know, we haven't really discussed that on the team. But I'm sure that now we will. I'll let you know.
Aaron Graham: Thanks buddy

We in the NYBT kinda agreed that we should pay a bit more attention to the international style buildings, therefore it inspired me to do this:

American Machine and Foundry Building, currently known as 261 Madison Avenue

Any comment on how to improve the model is welcome :)
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

Aaron Graham

Love the detail you have added to the windows, that's what helps make building like this looks great. :)
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Vlasky

Thanks Aaron!!

Devotion really doesn't like 50s New York architecture, huh?
Anyhow, here's the update:

Well I have quietly been working on 261 Madison Ave, and I can't believe trough how many changes I have already been with it and not posted in the meantime :) So first of all I'm going to show you a full zoom 5 render which is OLD but I'm showing it so that you can see (literally) the bigger picture

and than this is also a zoom 5 render but due to long long time it takes to get a full render I have reduced the rendered area, but you can still see the changes I've made. This is the most recent render:

In the meantime,if you have missed it, I have uploaded Diagonal version of the Maritime Exchange Building:

And as you know, it takes a village to accomplish something so with Maritime versions finished I want to thank: Jasoncw for guiding and teaching me trough entire process of making it, Girafe for modding the orthogonal version according to which I modded diagonal, Aaron Graham for helping me with rendering issues and providing support during modding, Amthaak, my dear friend who tried to export diagonal version and PBGV103 for exporting diagonal models. And finally thanks to all you guys who supported me in this thread all your comments encouraged me and motivated me throughout the process.

I think speech was in order for my first big building :)

art128

Quote from: Vlasky on December 20, 2013, 12:00:31 PM

Please, don't jump on this stupid conclusion. Even if being ironical.
Trust me there are players here that are interested in such architecture.
If there's less replies here than on ST (which you are obviously making the comparison) is because the activity around SC4D has been very low recently.

Your BATs are great, really great. I won't use them because they clearly don't fit in my building style, but still a good modeling/texturing job. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

whatevermind

Quote from: Vlasky on December 20, 2013, 12:00:31 PM

It's naught to do with your excellent BATting skills, fear not! I don't think there's much love for the New York ziggurat style in general. They make good background buildings, but they're not usually much to look at. That said, they're just as much an iconic part of NYC as the landmark buildings, so it's good to see them getting some attention.  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

It's just hard to follow the ESB with anything at all :D

Love the glass work, though. I can definitely see myself using this building (and I'm rather picky :P)

Cheers
Willy

Aaron Graham

Vlasky

art128: just for a second there I was thinking of being offended, but I admire your work so much that I couldn't take any of your comments the wrong way. Thanks for compliment :D
whatevermind: Yeah thanks for clarification :) On part we agree and on part we disagree. I do think there is a lot to look at and I also think that those transitional building built from the end of the Deco era till monolithic glass box era fit really good into the game. Because instead of having wast flat empty roof surface domineering the BAT to look at, this way you have a much more active and busy BAT to look at.
Swordmaster: Thanks Willy. Well, now I'll show something and follow it with ESB so, I hope for the best :)
Aaron Graham: Thanks buddy.

I don't understand why I haven't published here in such a long time, but to be honest a took a little break from batting in general. But here is what I have published on Simtropolis in the mean time.

A long time ago, Aaron Graham, Anotn and I have started a Civil BAT Unit as a part of NYBT. Our first project were fire stations. With Anton being M.I.A., Aaron and I have decided that we need to finish what we've started. THese stations have been exported and and modded and Aaron and I will release them very soon:

and NYBT CBU FDNY Ladder 21 Engine 34

Apart from that I have also worked on New York World's Fair of 1939 Theme exhibit Trylon and Perisphere. The water was problematic for me to achieve caustics effects so my dear friend Pierre aka Amthaak is working his majic on the water. I expect to finish and release this soon as well.

And finally, I gave in to the pressure :P (if that's the correct expression) and went back to the ESB real quick. This is my latest progress on it:

Jack_wilds

awesome promising stuff... abbt additions will much appreciated  luv the empire state taking shape...  :thumbsup:

Girafe

Really interesting projects  &apls &apls &apls
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

kelis

Quote from: Girafe on March 22, 2014, 12:07:04 AM
Really interesting projects  &apls &apls &apls

Yep, totally agree ! Looking forward to see more progress with the Empire State building  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||