• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

another ctd thread: ctd and changing slopes

Started by Seaman, January 29, 2019, 09:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

Hi everybody
Once again, I've run into an issue. Maybe somebody has an idea about it and can point me in the right direction.

I have a new region and encountered ctds when building rail lines. I was able to narrow down a specific situation:

When I place a single road or railpiece where the curser is located, I consistently get the ctd.

I have cleaned my plugin folder to have only the NAM, the SC4Fix.dll and the SimCity 4 Extra Cheats Plugin.dll in it. I used a slope mod previously, but removing the slopemod does not solve the issue either.
Any guesses where I went wrong?

vortext

Does it also happen if you use the bulldozer on that tile? If so it could be perhaps there is /was some flora there in the savegame file and currently not in the plugins folder, causing a crash when the game tries to remove it. 
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Seaman

Quote from: vortext on January 29, 2019, 10:22:11 AM
Does it also happen if you use the bulldozer on that tile? If so it could be perhaps there is /was some flora there in the savegame file and currently not in the plugins folder, causing a crash when the game tries to remove it. 

Thx for the tip. I bulldozed the tile with the same result. While I was at it, I also tried to use the major mode terrain tools with a ctd when they touched the tile.

mgb204

If using the Bulldozer creates a CTD, try using the "Flora Off" command to remove all Flora from the tile. Not forgetting to use "Flora On" thereafter, otherwise seasonal flora will cease to work. Just to be on the safe side, know that this will remove every planted item using the God Mode brush or MMPs. But if you don't save, you can in the first instance test if this is the issue.

Seaman

Quote from: mgb204 on January 29, 2019, 10:42:48 AM
If using the Bulldozer creates a CTD...

Sorry my fault. I meant, when I bulldoze the tile, everything is ok (though nothing seems to be demolished either). When I then try to place the road or rail stub, it crashes.

dedgren

I'm going to guess that I'm creating the problem.  My quads are created using a terrain mod and associated trees- I never thought of the consequences when one is distributed.  I'll fix that tonight so that it will be expressly clear what needs to be in the plug-in folder.  Thanks for everyone's patience.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Seaman

Quote from: mgb204 on January 29, 2019, 10:42:48 AM
try using the "Flora Off" command to remove all Flora from the tile.

Well, if followed your advise sooner rather than later, we would have come to that conclusion as well :D EDIT: or, in fact, Vortext!

Yes, the "flora off" command works and resolves the problem for now.
May I ask, what flipping this off and on actually does? What happens to the flora while it is turned off?

Edit: Into the wood chipper!  -David

mgb204

Flora Off simply removes every Flora object from the tile, permanently. Flora On doesn't restore the Flora as you might think. But for reasons I'm not clear on, something that enables Seasonal Flora is switched off and prevents it from working if you forget to use the On command.

If this is indeed a third party region you are using, best to wait until you've got a list of mods to use with it. Indeed you need to have the same tree controller/dependencies installed or you'll run into problems. The CTD happens in this case because the Flora is there, but when you change it (bulldozing or putting a network/lot in the space), it wants to read the Exemplar. At this point it fails to find said Exemplar and you get the crash.

Seaman

Ah, thanks for the explanation. This makes it actually more easy since there isn't flora supposed to be anyway. So I am totally fine with removing everything to do my work.

thank you and Vortext for the help!