• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

Always lurking here, and I'm still enjoying to see your work. Especially the drunk engineer got me. I would never design roads like that  :D

99 updates is a milestone. You know what that means... we are going to hit the three-digit updates!  :o
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Popping in quickly to let you all know that Tarkusian Cities will be emerging from its sabbatical mid-November, when the update odometer rolls over into the triple digits.

I'll just leave this here for a moment:

-Alex

Swordmaster

Hmm, interesting. I see rail, I see light rail. This reminds me of Portland. I think this intersection will get an interesting look--it so happens that I have AVExRRW textures lying in front of me  ;D

Cheers
Willy

art128

Looks like a great intersection under work, Alex!

Glad to see Tarkusian Cities back for Novemeber.  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Gugu3

sebes

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

metarvo

This is good news, Alex.  :)  The return of TC will be one of the highlights of the year for sure.  The update makes me think that a crossing will be added soon.  There doesn't appear to be room for an overpass/underpass, so it would have to be a grade crossing.  It will be interesting to see how this area changes as RRW is rolled out.  Good work!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

rooker1

Great news indeed to see a great MD coming back alive.

Robin &apls
Call me Robin, please.

Kuewr665

threestooges

Following up on sunv's work in Provo (which can be found now in Best Sellers) we're bringing up Tarkusian Cities from the Hall of Fame for the last shot here before the end of the month. Looking forward to seeing what you have planned.

vinlabsc3k

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

rooker1

A huge congrats, this is going to be fun.

Robin &apls
Call me Robin, please.

noahclem

Congratulations Alex  &dance  I'm looking forward to the week!

Tarkus

First off, thank you to the OSITM committee for having Tarkusian Cities be a part of the anniversary month 4-in-1, and thanks for all the congratulations and support already.  Beginning of the week has unfortunately been a bit more hectic than I'd like, but this quiet start is just around the bend from an onslaught of Tarkustry.  We'll take a look at some unfinished business in Argentum (the new one), some extensive plans for Chemeketa (including, as seen in my last teaser, some mass transit), and perhaps a trip (or two) down memory lane to some older regions.

In the meanwhile, another taste:

Back with more shortly . . .

-Alex

noahclem

That's a nice gentle slope and L1 is always pretty  ;)  I wonder where the avenue is going and what else is happening in the construction zone....

RepublicMaster

Nice teaser, looks like an industrial part of town! I can't wait for more. :)

Gugu3

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, at long last, after a couple teasers, we've rolled the odometer to Update 100.  And aside from the fact that there's three digits now, this update will simply be a dose of good old-fashioned Tarkusian Cities, something which has been a bit of a scarcity lately.  I'm going to continue along the lines of the teasers, and show you all the start of what will be the start of a modest light rail system in Chemeketa, along with a number of road realignment and extension projects that will accompany it.  The continuation of Update 99's couplet project in Argentum (2.0) will serve as a bit of an intermission in what should be a multi-update arc, and I may take a little peek back at a couple of Tarkusian Cities you may not have seen in some time, including the discovery of a "lost update" from 2009.

Chemeketa, unfortunately, has begun to experience the dreaded prop pox in its downtown tile, and I've yet to ascertain just what is causing it, so I am considering a full Plugins reboot and a new Tarkusian region in the near future.  As it's been a few years since I've done that--since Chemeketa's start some 4 years ago--it's actually a process I'm somewhat looking forward to undertaking.

Below is the map of Chemeketa, with a rough sketch of some of the proposed changes shown.  Road realignments or additions are in dashed lines, reflecting the color of the new roadway's expected functional classification, and the new light rail line is shown on the map as the "Proposed Red Line".  As my long-time stand-by for large maps, Gmapuploader, is no longer offering the service I used, I'm trying out Zoom.it and using my space at SimTarkus for image hosting.

Now to see the "proposals" in action.

The two major projects you'll see under way during this project are the start of the Red Line, and the Tweedy-Ashcroft Corridor project, which are symbiotically related.  (If you're curious as to the namesakes for those roads, see here and here, respectively.)  The Red Line, as a whole, is intended to begin at the Chemeketa Airport, wind its way past the university and through downtown parallel to the railroad tracks, and eventually curve onto 33rd Avenue NE, heading through a high-tech area and ending in the Starpoint District, serving to link up downtown with the airport, and alleviate commute-related traffic on the south end of the Chemeketa Parkway.

This first image is at the intersection of Stiratt Road SE and Link Road SE.  Link Road acts as a little connector between Tweedy Boulevard and Stiratt Road, which are important arterials in the area, and it is surprisingly congested, even more so by the fact that it has an at-grade rail crossing along both it and Stiratt, right near the intersection.  McCabe Street SE is planned to be realigned to meet up with Link Road at Tweedy, and overpasses will be built to cross over both the existing rail line, and the under-construction light rail line.

Stiratt Road traffic was temporary diverted and briefly closed, to make room for the overpass construction (facing north).

Overpass work under way (facing north).

This is facing west.  The 4-lane structure is the replacement for Link Road, which will be renamed as an extension of McCabe Street.

This is at the new Tweedy/McCabe intersection (facing west).  This intersection's completion is a necessary step in preparing for the Tweedy Boulevard re-alignment and Red Line construction.

More construction.

This is where the existing McCabe Street alignment meets with the new alignment (facing west).  The road will now continue south to meet with the former Link Road, instead of southwest to align with 45th Street.

And the new alignment after completion (facing west).

The new intersection at Tweedy is open for business (facing west).

Two roads through the industrial area along McCabe have been converted to one-way traffic, in order to handle the loads caused by the Tweedy Blvd closure.

This is where Tweedy and Ashcroft currently converge, at the intersection with 35th St SE.  The new one-way couplet hooks in here as well.  Ashcroft will eventually be extended south, some 35 blocks, to meet up with the proposed Western Bypass. (facing west)

35th is also being realigned (its naming is actually a bit odd, as it actually intersects Tweedy/Ashcroft where 38th should be), and the eastbound part of the couplet now connects into it, a temporary change. (facing west).

Tweedy Blvd west of the new McCabe Street intersection has now been torn out, and work begins on extending Ashcroft Street (facing west).  Upon the project's completion, Ashcroft Street will have an overpass atop Tweedy Boulevard, allowing for smoother traffic flow. 

That does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities.  I'll be back with more, and replies to the growing mailbox queue quite soon.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

It's a shame you'll probably have to delete the region after this (does obliterating work?), sounds like it was a growable. See, folks, this is why you never touch the vanilla prop IIDs, including the ones Maxis reserved and never released
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Kuewr665

Great work there. I see a passenger train, so is commuter rail there anyway?