• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your . . . . current projects

Started by keithsed, February 08, 2007, 07:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithsed

Hi:

I thought it would be nice to see everyone's current projects.  I would be interested in seeing what you are working on and how you're developing and planing them. I know there are a lot of good finished projects being shown here, but for myself, I would be interesting in seeing how you started them and how they grew and advanced.     

It would be sort of like a mini Mayor's Diary, but only for one project, or more depending on how things are posted.  I don't want the pressure of posting and keeping a large Mayor's Diary project going.  That is a big responsibility and I feel it is beyond my capabilities right now.  When I see threeRR's, Badsim's and the Teton project I know it's way over my head. 

Jeroni, I hope this is OK to start here, if not move it or delete it as you see fit.  No hard feelings. I don't get upset that easily.

Here is my current project.  I'm developing a city.  I've spent a lot of time putting in the infrastructure, i.e. major roads, a light rail system, freeways, avenues, canals, seawalls and railroads.  I'm about ready to invite the sims in to see what develops.

The first picture is an overall view of my city.  The light rail system shows up as white, the freeways you can see, the canals you can see, the major avenues are black, and the rail system is in grey.  I know there are some mapping mods that make it easier to see but I didn't want to take the time to find them and put them into my plugin folder. I will next time.

keithsed

This second picture will be my industrial/rural area.  The lower right hand corner, by the light rail depot will be my industrial area. Above that, underneath the cloud and further North will be my farming areas.

keithsed

This third picture will be my commercial and residential areas.  Everything from the freeway to the ocean will be commercial.  Between the two freeways and to the East will be my residential areas.

keithsed

This fourth picture is a closer view of some "eyecandy" that I've been working on.  I used Jeroni's seawalls and think they turned out GREAT!!  Thanks Jeroni for all the time and effort you put into making them.  &apls They are going to look GREAT in my commercial area.

keithsed

This fifth picture is a closer view of the tower in the left.

keithsed

The sixth picture is a closer view of the statue.

keithsed

And finally, the last picture is a close up view of the tower on the right.

Now . . .  I would like everyone to show us your current project and what you are working on and the plans you have for future development.  I would like to know what problems you ran into and how you overcame them. 

Thanks.

Keith

urban

interesting

Recently I am doing something the Palm in Dubai. It's more like a Beta-Version and I still have to learn, but since it is the first try....I call it Laguna Isabella

this is an older picture, I'll post a newer one in my City Journal, I'm planing....

probably the best tropical forests Pat Riot
the jungle and the seaside resorts are looking spectacular kwakelaar
such stunning and natural tropical sceneries iamgoingtoeatyou
Walker's Island

bat

Great pictures, keithsed! :thumbsup:

Looks fantastic for a "beta-version", urban! :thumbsup:

jeronij

Interesting idea and interesting layout all  :thumbsup:

I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

keithsed

Urban if you don't want to start the map from scratch I think I remember seeing the Du Bai map on STEX. 

I don't think I downloaded it.  You might do a search and see if you can find it if you want to start on a prebuild map.

Looking good.

Keith

sanantonio

this is a good idea...

i've been slowly working on a fairly large region with lots of cheats...here's the latest.

keithsed

Sanantonio

I like the seaside baseball park.  I've got to file that away for a future city. 

I think we all use designer helps (cheats).  You can't be a perfectionist on $500,000.  I like the word designer helps rather than cheats  ;)

I like your idea of having the freeway run straight through the city.  It looks more realistic.  My city was at the very end of a peninsula so I couldn't do that so I made it circle.

It looks like you've used a single line of pine trees at the end of your light rail system.  Is that for future light rail tracks? 

Keep us posted of future developments.

Thanks.

Keith

Eddie

Pretty impressive, Sanantonio. The beach is nice and clean--that's all I can say! Complex transportation system, too, I may add.

sanantonio

keithsed -
Thanks, I've used that park on the water idea before and like it, so here it is again.

I like "designer helps"...I think I'll use that if you dont mind.

I'm trying to force my residents to use alternate modes of transportation (instead of cars) and not use highways if I can get away with it.  Avenues for now, but I left room for future expansion. 

The trees mark where future GLR is going, but I plopped them very late one night, and now that I'm awake and coherent, it needs some adjustments.  Actually, the entire GLR line will be getting an overhaul. ???

Progress will be slow - 4x4 large tiles...One tile is complete (farming + a small town) and what can't be seen in my last pic has fully developed.

Other projects currently underway are the regional airport, the amusement park, military base and an Olympic city.  These are still in veeery early stages, so I'll post when it's time.  #stsfd·

Eddie -
Thanks, like I told keithsed, I'm forcing the sims to travel the way I want them to, so it's taking longer than usual.  I spent most of my time on the intersections. They've changed a little since I posted them here, but not much.

Cali

"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

keithsed

I'm with you on alternate modes of transportation.  I'm going to "blast" a few avenues to see if I can get them to climb on the GLR.

I've been working down on the farm, but the farmers I've got think it is eternal spring.  I'm having some trouble in the game getting the "seasonal" farms to recognize the season.  They all seem to think it's spring and stay brown dirt.  I've asked on the help forum to see if anyone can help me.  I don't know what is happening.  The computer placed them so I did not plop them.  I've tried rezoning agricultural again and it still doesn't change. I've plopped them myself and still no luck.

I don't give my old thought process enough time to figure out what looks the best.  I get a big demand for farms/low cost residence/industrial zones and I don't take the time to figure out the best looking zones and find the best plops. 

I just finished looking at Teton project and every one of his buildings look he spent a lot of time choosing the best looking one.  I've got to have more patience with my "plopping." 

Thanks again and lets get building.

Keith

bat

sanantonio

the GLR gets a facelift...lots to do, so little time.  ah well - one day...

Masochist

Current project, eh?  Okay, I'll bite...

This project is the first foray into a brand new region.  The project is sort of three-fold, really.  First, there's the part where I'm trying to make the city a fully-functional, at least semi-realistic city.  This is kinda hard for me, since I'm working with unusual terrain:

...and looking west:

From a mountain to a beach, you see?  And not too much room between the two. I don't want cliffs everywhere if they aren't necessary.  Along with that part of the project is the second part: making that beach look presentable.  This is how it looks now (facing west):

Kinda ragedy, right?  But don't worrry...I haven't put in the seawall yet, and that cliff between the avenue and the street will be hidden and/or gone when I throw in some high-class resorts and residential towers and such.  I also need to find more flora for that beach...straight palms are terrible.  And I've got some other things in mind that I may or may not try as well.

Another key part of the first aspect of this entire project (the city-building aspect) is that I have this gigantic future industrial area waiting for me:

It's connected to the residents by one long freeway.  And it's adjacent to the third part of the project: the future seaport.  I've never done a large-scale seaport before, but as you can see, I've got a bit of room to work with (that whole peninsula):

I'll probably add another arm to it, just to increase the coast length and accomodate more types of ports.  I've got all of SOMY's stuff, and Peg's ports and such, but I won't even start terraforming to build it until I get the rest of the city up and running, and take a look at some of the tutorials on building a proper seaport (I need to find that one Emilin posted...).  But it's going to happen one day....

So that's my project.  I'd start a Mayor's Diary, but I don't know how often I'd update it; I'm pretty sporadic with my playing times.  So I'll just share it here.  When it's all said and done and lookin' good, I'll post the update.
(Under Construction)